Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3902 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
m6723yn.jpeg

I've got nothing but love for chewy too, those guys are great

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Never owned a car. (Hate the things, to be honest. Would ban them if I were dictator - greatest single impediment to personal mobility ever invented.)

Idk man.... I hate to break it to you but getting my drivers license and then buying my first car (without help from dad) were some of the true highlights of my teenage years.

IMO you missed out on a "right of passage" to adulthood nothing else ... I feel a bit sorry for you. :(

Reactions: Drach

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Idk man.... I hate to break it to you but getting my drivers license and then buying my first car were some of the true highlights of my teenage years.

IMO you missed out on a "right of passage" nothing else... I feel a bit sorry for you. :(

Meh. My dad worked as a delivery driver. He loved driving (his idea of looking after the kids was to put you in the back of the car and drive to nowhere in particular while you got horribly car-sick), and it did him no good at all (pretty sure all that sitting stationary while breathing in fumes contributed to his severe health problems for most of the last part of his life).

What I do know is everywhere I try to go, whether on foot, cycling, or even by bus, there are vast numbers of cars in the way, often near-stationary, or entirely stationary, given the way roads and pavements alike are often nearly completely blocked with parked cars, that are inexplicably allowed to park on roads clearly too narrow for them. All cars do in the city is get in everybody's way. If you live in the back-of-beyond (or in a badly-designed country like the US) maybe they are necessary, but in a city they serve very little useful purpose.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Meh. My dad worked as a delivery driver. He loved driving (his idea of looking after the kids was to put you in the back of the car and drive to nowhere in particular while you got horribly car-sick), and it did him no good at all (pretty sure all that sitting stationary while breathing in fumes contributed to his severe health problems for most of the last part of his life).

What I do know is everywhere I try to go, whether on foot, cycling, or even by bus, there are vast numbers of cars in the way, often near-stationary, or entirely stationary, given the way roads and pavements alike are often nearly completely blocked with parked cars, that are inexplicably allowed to park on roads clearly too narrow for them. All cars do in the city is get in everybody's way. If you live in the back-of-beyond (or in a badly-designed country like the US) maybe they are necessary, but in a city they serve very little useful purpose.

Society relying on cars (in particular ICE cars!) is another topic and I fully agree one that sucks a$$. :(

However the world was a different place in the 1970's/early 1980's and I stand by what I said.... didn't mean to single you out though, it's several entire generations of kids that I feel sorry for.

And the "problem" with the US in particular is that 90% of the country wasn't "designed" at all except in the sense that vested interests in the domestic oil/fossil fuel industry had MASSIVE (and undue) influence on infrastructure favoring gasoline-powered individual vehicles over effective mass-transit.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski