Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3722 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
wT8PTDa.png

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Do NOT eat mushrooms if you are even MILDLY insulin resistant (even pre-diabetic). It has a sugar called D-ribose that can damage your kidneys if your glucose metabolism is dysfunctional. (I've been through this hell).

How it happens: d-ribose induces nephropathy through RAGE-dependent NF-κB inflammation | SpringerLink

How to safeguard against it if you MUST eat mushrooms: Protective Effects of Kaempferol on D-Ribose-Induced Mesangial Cell Injury (hindawi.com)

Where did you scare up this little gem of misinformation? :oops:

First of all there are literally thousands of kinds of mushrooms and they are all different. Further several types have actually been proven to LOWER blood-sugar.

Accurate info on consumption of mushrooms and diabetes:

Are Mushrooms Good for People with Diabetes?
(healthline.com)

Factors that Make Mushrooms Good for Diabetes
(healthifyme.com)

Effect of medicinal mushrooms on blood cells under conditions of diabetes mellitus
(National Institute of Health)

And there's PLENTY more supporting evidence where that came from.

It's critical to get your medical and nutritional advice ONLY from CREDIBLE sources.... most edible mushrooms are actually HEALTHY for diabetics. (per doctors and scientists)

Reactions: zinfamous

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

First of all there are literally thousands of kinds of mushrooms and they are all different. Further several types have actually been proven to LOWER blood-sugar.

Accurate info on consumption of mushrooms and diabetes:

Are Mushrooms Good for People with Diabetes?
(healthline.com)

Factors that Make Mushrooms Good for Diabetes
(healthifyme.com)

Effect of medicinal mushrooms on blood cells under conditions of diabetes mellitus
(National Institute of Health)

And there's PLENTY more supporting evidence where that came from.

It's critical to get your medical and nutritional advice ONLY from CREDIBLE sources.... most edible mushrooms are actually HEALTHY for diabetics. (per doctors and scientists)

He believes honey makes him pee better so there is that.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
He believes honey makes him pee better so there is that.
Honey is amazeballs!
Tairon was all gloom.

“Is she dead?” I asked him.

“It seems so. I am just too late. And the strange thing is: I didn’t even know I had the opportunity to be here. Someone is laughing at me, Merlin.”

What a strange sight greeted my eyes!

Artemenesia, very old and naked, lay spread-eagled on a bed of lamb’s wool. Her body was opened in many places, small cuts with cane tubes pressed into them. The children were filling the carcases with honey. They were all boys, tiny lads with blue hair and oddly swollen heads. Their limbs were as thin as sticks, and they scrambled around, scooping liquid honey from clay jars, a bustle of activity in the name of preservation.

Artemenesia shifted slightly, sighed softly. The younger lady was whispering to her. The children seemed irritated by the woman’s intrusion. There were ten children, but their faces were drawn and skull-like, I noticed, though the eyes were bright.

They were very argumentative. They all kept dipping fingers into the honey and eating it. Sugar gave them the rage and the active limbs to make the room spin dizzily with their constant fussing at the old woman’s body.

When Artemenesia slowly sat up, these honey killers scattered, complaining loudly, “Not finished. Not finished.”

“Finish later,” the woman said.

Honey oozed from her wounds.

She was cloaked, covered, made ready to receive her son.

Artemenesia sat hunched on one of the couches. Tairon and I occupied the others.

Artemenesia sighed and shook her head, never taking her gaze from the man. “Tairon,” she whispered, repeating the name. And after a while, “What made you stay away so long?”

“I took a wrong turning,” he said sadly, looking down and sighing. “When the rock closed behind me, I was terrified. But fear made me learn the maze. I found exits to the world, and entrances for the return. Eventually I found a way home.”
- The Broken Kings, Robert Holdstock

• Haha

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Do NOT eat mushrooms if you are even MILDLY insulin resistant (even pre-diabetic). It has a sugar called D-ribose that can damage your kidneys if your glucose metabolism is dysfunctional. (I've been through this hell).

How it happens: d-ribose induces nephropathy through RAGE-dependent NF-κB inflammation | SpringerLink

How to safeguard against it if you MUST eat mushrooms: Protective Effects of Kaempferol on D-Ribose-Induced Mesangial Cell Injury (hindawi.com)
Sounds more like to not supplement with D-ribose.

Jul 27, 2020
Mushrooms have D-ribose which does lower blood glucose in normal individuals. However, people with abnormal glucose metabolism already have high amount of D-ribose in their blood. Getting even more D-ribose can overwhelm the body to the point where it can cause serious glycation damage, particularly to the kidneys.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Mushrooms have D-ribose which does lower blood glucose in normal individuals. However, people with abnormal glucose metabolism already have high amount of D-ribose in their blood. Getting even more D-ribose can overwhelm the body to the point where it can cause serious glycation damage, particularly to the kidneys.

Did you read the links I posted? (in particular the one from NIH?)

These results are based on legitimate and peer-reviewed science.

Actual medical professionals and nutritionists DO NOT concur with your opinion.... just because I posted links supporting honey being potentially beneficial in some ways does not make the "mushroom" nonsense you posted accurate. (nothing personal)

Per Web MD:

What are the risks of taking ribose supplements?

The safety of ribose has not been fully established. Some people who take ribose report side effects such as:

Ribose may cause low blood sugar when combined with diabetes drugs. People who have or are at risk of low blood sugar levels should probably avoid ribose.

Note that NOTHING in those sketchy links you posted as supporting evidence is mentioned ANYWHERE.... in fact Ribose is known to cause LOW blood-sugar in diabetics.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Did you read the links I posted? (in particular the one from NIH?)

Actual medical professionals and nutritionists DO NOT concur with your opinion.... just because I posted links supporting honey being beneficial does not make the "mushroom" nonsense accurate.
The only way for the individual to determine risk is to spend money and measure themselves with those strips or better, a continuous monitor.

Argument "from distance" cannot substitute direct observation.

Sometimes trace chemical can havae effects, some beneficial even. I won't get too deep here and start a different thread. But lychees acutally stopped chemo-related diarrhea(colitis) when Imodium, Pepto, and a wide variety of attempt foods could not in my mother.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The only way for the individual to determine risk is to spend money and measure themselves with those strips or better, a continuous monitor.

Argument "from distance" cannot substitute direct observation.

Sometimes trace chemical can havae effects, some beneficial even. I won't get too deep here and start a different thread. But lychees acutally stopped chemo-related diarrhea(colitis) when Imodium, Pepto, and a wide variety of attempt foods could not in my mother.

Sorry but you supporting him only HURTS his credibility on the topic of a healthy diet!

;)

Really sorry you had so much trouble balancing moms nutrition though... I went through the same kind of stuff with my mother. (RIP)

Jul 27, 2020
(in particular the one from NIH?)
That one discusses medicinal mushrooms. It is very possible that they do not hurt diabetics. The ones I ate were just some edible variety (I forgot or probably didn't pay attention to which ones they were) that I picked up at a supermarket. Spent two years on a vegetarian diet to try to heal my kidneys (they kept leaking protein. If I ate a protein rich meal, it would swell my feet up for days). Thank God, I found some kidney supplement that improved my condition. I'm still not 100% but at least, I can eat some meat now.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That one discusses medicinal mushrooms. It is very possible that they do not hurt diabetics. The ones I ate were just some edible variety (I forgot or probably didn't pay attention to which ones they were) that I picked up at a supermarket. Spent two years on a vegetarian diet to try to heal them (they kept leaking protein. If I ate a protein rich meal, it would swell my feet up for days). Thank God, I found some kidney supplement that improved my condition. I'm still not 100% but at least, I can eat some meat now.

While I don't doubt you had some serious health-issues I also don't believe they were caused by eating mushrooms you bought in the grocery-store.

Unless some poisonous variety was mis-labeled and put on the shelf for sale that is (which does happen), edible mushrooms DO NOT cause the condition you experienced.

You would be better served figuring out what actually DID cause your health problems with the assistance of a competent MD.

As for the swollen feet it sounds like your "diet" most likely CAUSED the problem.... aside from a sedentary lifestyle the primary cause of swollen feet/ankles is INSUFFICIENT protein not too much. (you apparently need to find some more trustworthy sources of nutritional information)

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sorry but you supporting him only HURTS his credibility on the topic of a healthy diet!

;)

Really sorry you had so much trouble balancing moms nutrition though... I went through the same kind of stuff with my mother. (RIP)
Your mind is not disciplined enough to sift do things like accept in part and reject in part. ;)

Igor's response about onions in the past was indeed due to actual fact and thus I too accommodated onions into my diet....(for a few weeks but the flood of them led me to having no appetite for maybe two months now. Food banks have more than enough to dole out).