Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3430 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
WRtJiC1.jpeg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
First rule of SCUBA diving is never hold your breath. The drill that shit into you big time in the class.

(but yes he will be just fine in this situation)

On ascent yes you should never hold your breath. I'm more worried about new diver naivete honestly. That gets people killed all the time, more often than barotrauma. I've seen plenty of people with new certs think diving solo, not planning their dives beforehand or wandering into wrecks with no previous experience were all just no big deal. You could not pay me enough to be a dive leader these days.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
On ascent yes you should never hold your breath. I'm more worried about new diver naivete honestly. That gets people killed all the time, more often than barotrauma. I've seen plenty of people with new certs think diving solo, not planning their dives beforehand or wandering into wrecks with no previous experience were all just no big deal. You could not pay me enough to be a dive leader these days.
Yeah I did a dive 2 weeks ago with a dive master and he had a student who was doing his 4th dive. This student simply was not paying attention to shit. Like before the dive when we were getting briefed this kid just wasn't caring. He was also putting his gear together wrong and the instructor had to tell him multiple times how to do it.

Then underwater this kid was just all over the place. Like flipping around, not following instructions from the dive master again, and I even saw him pop his regulator out of his mouth on accident once. Not sure how many times it happened but I just saw it once. It was just like he didn't realize how serious it is as far as being careful and what can go wrong. He was probably 16-17 and was a local to St. Thomas.

Reactions: Captante

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yeah I did a dive 2 weeks ago with a dive master and he had a student who was doing his 4th dive. This student simply was not paying attention to shit. Like before the dive when we were getting briefed this kid just wasn't caring. He was also putting his gear together wrong and the instructor had to tell him multiple times how to do it.

Then underwater this kid was just all over the place. Like flipping around, not following instructions from the dive master again, and I even saw him pop his regulator out of his mouth on accident once. Not sure how many times it happened but I just saw it once. It was just like he didn't realize how serious it is as far as being careful and what can go wrong. He was probably 16-17 and was a local to St. Thomas.

I think the worst I heard about was a couple that came down to The Keys, back when I was in college. Decided to lie to the crew about their experience level so they could go on a wreck dive trip. They went in, got lost. She died, they found him inside the superstructure breathing from a pocket of trapped air.

Right next to Don't hold your breath, should be:

Don't be an idiot
Take SpareAir