Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3237 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Just referring to their general disposition. The rattlesnakes I've encountered pretty much want to be left alone, and will generally move away from you given the chance. Copperheads tend to be more aggressive.
I have a great picture of a diamond back six inches from my boot in the Grand Canyon. It wanted to cross the path and didn't care at all we were there. Wife screamed and ran off, I was like "what?" Looked down and saw him. Very glad I didn't step on him.

• Wow
Reactions: kage69

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Doesn't matter from a venom point of view does it.
Larger snakes can deliver more venom in a bite, but another component is strike distance. A 6' rattlesnake can hit a target a *really* long way away, from the snake's (and my) perspective. Not that they're likely to, but they can.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Co-worker got bit on the back of the hand by a copper head. It took over 9 months for him to fully recover, and still left him with a gnarly looking hand.

Was he playing with it? They're small, pretty shy, and just want to be left alone. They're considered non aggressive far as I know. I believe they are the only snake in North America where the first warning strike is always dry. It's a milder venom anyway, though can be pretty gross on tissue and bone.

Cottonmouth/water moccasins however, are quite aggressive. The only one I encountered when I lived in Florida was swimming around in the middle of an estuary. When it saw me and some friends near the shore hanging out, snek went all ahead full, made his best speed straight at us. Hit the bank and didn't stop, it was like we owed him money. After that no one wanted to use the hammock there hanging from trees right by the water.

We have it pretty good with venomous snakes here in North America. Not like Australia or South America. Long as you're not dealing with a coral snake or diamondback you should be ok.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jman19

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I have a great picture of a diamond back six inches from my boot in the Grand Canyon. It wanted to cross the path and didn't care at all we were there. Wife screamed and ran off, I was like "what?" Looked down and saw him. Very glad I didn't step on him.

Yeah that was lucky. You were def close enough to bite, and diamondbacks don't really do that dry bite or 'rationing venom' stuff. It's like they know they are slightly less venomous, so they compensate by giving you a ton of it.

Reactions: Zorba

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Was he playing with it? They're small, pretty shy, and just want to be left alone. They're considered non aggressive far as I know. I believe they are the only snake in North America where the first warning strike is always dry. It's a milder venom anyway, though can be pretty gross on tissue and bone.

Cottonmouth/water moccasins however, are quite aggressive. The only one I encountered when I lived in Florida was swimming around in the middle of an estuary. When it saw me and some friends near the shore hanging out, snek went all ahead full, made his best speed straight at us. Hit the bank and didn't stop, it was like we owed him money. After that no one wanted to use the hammock there hanging from trees right by the water.

We have it pretty good with venomous snakes here in North America. Not like Australia or South America. Long as you're not dealing with a coral snake or diamondback you should be ok.
Nope, getting some firewood off his wood pile at dusk. Cool evening in early fall.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
One of my fondest high school memories is tarpon fishing one of the local lakes (which feed into the various canals that feed into the intercoastal) with my buddy. We would head out just before dusk and for months get our bass/light tackle rods absolutely wrecked. Finally caught one from shore that I am guesstimating (from memory) was probably 60 - 90lbs. I think my wife still has a scan of the polaroid picture of me holding the beast. There are a lot of tarpon in a canal near the house, but I haven't been lake fishing for them in about 25 years now.

That took me back too.

A 63lb tarpon ruined my favorite bass rig from Maine my first time out in The Keys. It was burly enough for seabass, I thought it would be no big deal. Did my research before hand, took the gill plates and leaping into account when deciding on what to run as a leader. Circle hook ftw!

Only reason I landed him was he danced into the boat, after kicking my ass for a good 20min. Reel's bearings and drag were permatoast after that fish. I remember feeling a lot of disbelief over people catching way bigger on flies.

Speaking of, I don't remember exactly when this was, I was in college so late 90s. I'm talking to my dad on the phone, he tells me of the charter he just did that day, what a slog it was, how he wants to take a few days off maybe. He and his customers got lucky, came across a throng of big tarpon while permit fishing. Bigger than normal Keys tarpon, like these guys just arrived from Costa Rica. Tossed them a pinfish and it was on. 2 or 3 hours later they land a 170lb tarpon. It pulled my dad's fully loaded 18' Allseas skiff for something like 6 miles, against the current. Biggest tarpon of his career as a guide. Largest I've ever caught was 90lbs.

Ooop, must...provide...funny

spear-fishing.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah that was lucky. You were def close enough to bite, and diamondbacks don't really do that dry bite or 'rationing venom' stuff. It's like they know they are slightly less venomous, so they compensate by giving you a ton of it.
Yeah. I'm guessing he see enough people he was like "whatever." On less busy trails I've heard rattles before without ever seeing the snake, but this guy literally could not care less that we were there.

I was pretty upset with my wife that she just screamed an ran and didn't warn me. I thought a bug had landed on her.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just referring to their general disposition. The rattlesnakes I've encountered pretty much want to be left alone, and will generally move away from you given the chance. Copperheads tend to be more aggressive.

yeah, they get angry and dgaf. We had a copperhead explosion in the neighborhood many years ago. There were wee babies all over the place as well as big adults for a few weeks. I recall jumping down the stairs on our front porch and, mid-air, noticing a big mama curled up on the concrete walkway, right where I was landing. I sort of rolled over in the air and landed to the side, in the grass, rolled away, got up, and backed away. At some point, I caught a tiny one and put it in a bucket. Thought I'd "tame" it. (we'd had many pet snakes at that point. Corn snake...a wee bit different in disposition than a copperhead). The little bastard would sit in that bucket, rattle it's tail against the bucket as if it were a rattler, and strike at the same time if you approached. It didn't really consider the rattling a warning, so much as an accompaniment to assault.

• Wow
Reactions: jman19 and stargazr