Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2623 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Huh? What makes you say he intentionally caused the accident? The other guy (changing lanes without signaling and trying to pass on the right without giving the other driver an opportunity to move out of the fast lane) is the same kind of driver who doesn't look for the signals of other drivers. The driver recording the video was obviously changing lanes already as the reckless driver sped up to him and immediately tried. There's no indication in this video that the recording driver wasn't signaling the lane change.

It looks like the woman hit her blinkers at the exact same time as the car that was trying to exit the fast lane. Then she over corrected 3 times and hit the rail. That sound right?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It looks like the woman hit her blinkers at the exact same time as the car that was trying to exit the fast lane. Then she over corrected 3 times and hit the rail. That sound right?
Not really. Looks like someone tried to pass on the right without hesitation because they think that's OK.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
5jQzF8n.jpg

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Huh? What makes you say he intentionally caused the accident? The other guy (changing lanes without signaling and trying to pass on the right without giving the other driver an opportunity to move out of the fast lane) is the same kind of driver who doesn't look for the signals of other drivers. The driver recording the video was obviously changing lanes already as the reckless driver sped up to him and immediately tried to pass on the right. There's no indication in this video that the recording driver wasn't signaling the lane change.

On another look I agree I could easily be wrong with my first assessment, for all we know the person with the dash cam didn’t even see this situation developing. It looked like an intentional blocking maneuver at first but living in an area with some of the dumbest drivers on the planet may have tainted my perception of the incident.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
On another look I agree I could easily be wrong with my first assessment, for all we know the person with the dash cam didn’t even see this situation developing. It looked like an intentional blocking maneuver at first but living in an area with some of the dumbest drivers on the planet may have tainted my perception of the incident.

I've been in that situation on both sides to some degree. It's often based around confusion as to who then yields to let the pass happen.
Seeing it on dash and rear cams doesn't always show the motive/thoughts during the maneuver. Sometimes when the lead driver even begins to cede the left lane by merging right the tail driver will quickly correct and overtake using the preferred left lane pass. And as I have often been on the receiving end of that as the tail driver trying to overtake a slow left lane driver, I tend to think in terms of proper road courtesy. So when I'm the lead car and I know someone behind me is itching to pass, and I start to move to the right and I notice in my mirror the tail driver has started to also move to the right, I tend to commit for the sake of clear intent on the road. Dilly-dallying and second guessing leads to worse accidents in my book.

Unfortunately, most of the asshats like in that video (the one who lost control) are typically just all around bad drivers, who are far too quick in deciding to weave all over the place. I prefer sticking to my guns on passing strictly on the left whenever possible, even if that means I have to be stuck behind someone going slower than I intend while other drivers start passing us on the right. I'm also the one more likely to flash my hi-beams at left-lane cruisers. Because while yes I would like to drive faster than the speed limit, I still seek to keep the peace on the roadways and would much rather see smooth traffic patterns. Unfortunately idiots on the road cause massive traffic jams and even pileups, so sometimes I have to give in and just finally pass on the right. I absolutely hate weaving across multiple lanes between multiple cars, weaving through an entire "pack" on the road.

// warning - tire rant //
I'm more likely to do it myself in the winter, where Ohioans are for the most part the most terrifying and timid drivers in the world during snowy conditions. Most are convinced the more affordable all seasons are actually capable of driving in cold weather when that couldn't be further from the truth. The cocky drivers in suvs and trucks with 4WD but shitty tires are always the ones in the ditch. Then again maybe those are just bad 4WD systems, but that market of drivers may be more likely to ignore quality tires... because what's interesting is the fact that I've never seen a Subie in the ditch. Subaru's all-time AWD may be tech that helps compensate for shitty tires, but I also tend to think that perhaps Subaru drivers are more likely to acknowledge the fact that tires are worth putting money into.
No I don't have a Subie but I do want. I've actually been incredibly impressed with my FWD Mazda 3 with appropriate winter tires. Traction control is definitely an asset at times, but I perhaps do feel confident in my own abilities - I did have to put up with bad tires on a few vehicles growing up, I learned quickly how to recover from plenty of slides when I had a RWD Dakota with real shitty tires. Never again though, and highly recommend nobody else suffers through that kind of skating and lack of grip in a little snow

// tire rant over //

The thing that always bedazzles me though: a person is in the left lane with all the room in the world on the right, clearly not passing anyone as no traffic is in sight, and they don't move over when faster traffic approaches. After people start passing on the right, including me, I'll see them in my rearview mirror finally move to the right. Like... clearly you understand you were just in the wrong. A) I'm surprised they even bothered to move over; B) if they knew better but just weren't paying attention, then you know this has happened before and their lack of attention is worrying to say the least.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

so, we've got a tarantula in the lab. ...sometime last year, we had a tarantula lady show up and give a departmental seminar (none of those are related)

I learned some cool stuff, though:

--tarantulas spin something like 16 different kinds of silk, so far identified, for different purposes and different quality
--male tarantulas spin their sperm into little silk packets and shoot them off, lay them down, or send them off for their intended purpose
--some assholes (Scotland, probably), have made transgenic goats that produce spider silk in their milk, which can be purified (this is actually way cheaper than trying to herd hundreds of thousands of spiders to do it) and made into hundreds of kick-ass spider silk-based materials and devices.

....we might be driving spider silk-based supercars within 50 years, and modest econo spider silk cars in 60.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
--tarantulas spin something like 16 different kinds of silk, so far identified, for different purposes and different quality
--male tarantulas spin their sperm into little silk packets and shoot them off, lay them down, or send them off for their intended purpose

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
pck74bfmg9p21.jpg

Sheep thanking dog that saved him from wolf attack
Seriously doubt that's what happened. Probably just a sheep and a dog that are accustomed to each other. Without hearing / reading from the photographer or someone who was there, I always assume that such captions are made-up or sensationalized to encourage virality.

Last edited: