Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 237 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Aww, what the fuck? I've gotten myself into an opinion thread. :shakes head:

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
Album&

funniest-photos-ever-44.jpg

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I do not see the appeal in eating something that spicy.

Then you fail at life.

Agreed. People are stupid

I see the appeal but don't care to eat them personally. I like hot food though. But the thing I think is stupid is this trend of ranking new cultivars as the new "hottest pepper in the world" when they barely edge each other out. The difference between 1st and 2nd place there is a little more than 100,000 scoville units, less than 10% of either pepper. The variation between one sample and another WITHIN a specific cultivar can be much much more than 10%.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I once had 3 naga jolokia stick-blended into tomato soup; I posted about it...
Star Wars is a bit overrated.

Having negative emotions/arguments against things that are 'overrated' is, by definition, allowing others to determine your point of view. It's an attempt to get out of the social-construction of enjoyable that fails in its very inception.
Take it out of context though and rate them as just films and they lose a lot of their magical aura.
I disagree with a-historical understanding of film. Not to say that a film shouldn't hold up over time, but rather the technical merit of a film should be understood in its context and if a story seems pat, trite or even derivative you should take into account when it was made.

A few examples: The twilight-zone is the very basis of a number of modern scifi movies/tv epesodes; further every episode of the original start-trek is highly predictable because of the number of times the ideas from that show have been repeated. Similarly, while the hero's journey is trite by today's standards: the magic of bringing it into the stars and integrating far-eastern philosophy was revolutionary.

Star-wars holds up today for myriad reasons, by dismissing it as over rated you ironically allow the group to decide your tastes and, there by, lose out on the contemporary enjoy-ability and an understanding of its historic influence on cinema.
starwarsflowchart.jpg

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Not so fast. We know it's almost impossible for the layperson to see the original films in their un-bastardized form.

I got the special edition DVD set from a few years ago. Includes a comic book and the unedited versions on a 2nd disc. BUT, they are letterbox, not widescreen. Also, no restoration of the video and audio.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I got the special edition DVD set from a few years ago. Includes a comic book and the unedited versions on a 2nd disc. BUT, they are letterbox, not widescreen. Also, no restoration of the video and audio.
I'll let my dad know there is a market for his Star Wars RCA Videodiscs.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Signing up for the Bethesda forums I came across this:

passfail.jpg

Choose a strong password, 3 characters. LAWL.