Jessica Lynch wasn't shot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: Marshallj
It makes me wonder where these stories even come from.

I just read a lengthy story the other day about how she put up a fight even after she was shot multiple times. Is it finally going to come out that the story was completely fabricated, and that the did not get shot or stabbed and she did not put up a fight?

They always say that in war, the first reports are never right, the second reports are never right, and the third reports are seldom right.
"They" must be our resident morons on the left.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
It will be interesting when she tells her story . . . Lifetime, We, Oxygen, or does FOX get a piece of the action? I wouldn't take a position until some time passes. But she likely received some degree of medical care (not just tortured) . . . two broken legs (particularly if they are femur fractures), broken arm, +/- two GSWs are NOT compatible with survival for a week without ANY medical attention. I hope they got her a tetanus shot . . . there's camel poo all over that place.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
It will be interesting when she tells her story . . . Lifetime, We, Oxygen, or does FOX get a piece of the action?.

Let's not forget about Oprah...

DZip

Apr 11, 2000
Maybe there is no Jessica Lynch. It could be a ploy to rally people behind Bush's war. America needs heros.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Her side of the story will likely be called "propaganda".
rolleye.gif

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Iraqi samaritan . . . she was shot.

US Colonel . . . she was not shot.

Family spokesman . . . she was shot.

Me . . . don't care . . . bring her home, get some rehab, go to college, then educate bassackwards West Virginia.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, has it become that difficult to figure out whether someone has been shot?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Let's pretend she came into a typical American ER.
Primary survey:
Airway
Breathing
*Cardiac with bleeding control
*Disability: neurological status
*Exposure (hypothermia)
Elapsed time: 2 minutes

*X-ray of chest and associated trauma/injuries (body CT scan if patient stable)
Elapsed time: 5-30min

Secondary survery:
Allergies
Medications (unlikely in the field but possible since she just left another facility)
Past illness/pregnancy
Last meal
*Events/Environment related to injury
Elapsed time: 2-5min (including urine pregnancy but not a blood pregnancy test)

Every place you see * SOMEBODY would know if she's been shot or not. The first report was from someone who didn't know. The second report was from someone who should have had a clue by THU . . . the last report is from the family which would know nothing more than what they were told . . . unless of course the patient called home and said . . . "the #$%@ shot me twice!"

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
When someone comes into a major ED with GSW . . . it doesn't matter if they know it, how many, or where they are located . . . I'm still going to ask but ultimately it is my responsibility to find out and find out fast.

The good Lord gave us fingers so we can stick them in every hole to say . . . "hmm that's probably shrapnel" vs "damn looks like an entry . . . flip her over . . . good there's the exit." If in fact she was shot twice and it took hours if not days to figure it out . . . Tricare sux more than I thought.

Note: She was in Iraq, Kuwait, and/or Germany so technically Tricare is not at fault . . . it still sux though.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Beats me, I would begin to guess. I do remember a story, though I can't find a link, of a child who had been in a sledding accident. After quite a length of time had passed a doctor was visited due to lingering pain. The doctor ordered x-rays where a two foot length of the sled's runner was found driven through the child's shoulder, down to the abdomen with nothing but a small entrance wound visible. The child didn't know it, nor did the doctor without the x-ray.

This poor girl may have been quite a mess when first examined. Like I said, I wouldn't begin to know what to look for.

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
The first look over her was probably by a guy in a helicopter, and he problably looked for any flowing blood or something that would kill her b4 she got to a proper hospital. It does seem she was actually shot though, when her parents said she wasn't at first their quote is not that she was not shot but that they had not heard she was.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
It's a shame they had to make up some story about her staving off Iraqis till she ran out of ammo. The fact that she was even in Iraq supporting her country was good enough. But no, they had to embelish it as if it wasn't good enough. The woman is inspiration to many of us. God, I hate the stinking media.

Aren't you jumping the gun a little early? How do you know that part of the story isn't true?

I don't know. I was just reacting to the story that said she didn't shoot it out with Iraqis. It kind of makes sense, too. If she shot it out with the Iraqis then why did they not kill her as they apparently killed everyone else?

As for her getting shot, that was told by the Iraqi who told the marines where she was... then word spread amongst the marines, which eventually led to the reporters. There wasn't any malicious intent or deception there. She had a lot of blood on her, her legs were broken, it's a natural assumption she got shot in the legs... could most people really think that people could break the leg of a woman, even in tortue?

Oh God, did I say one word about whether or not she was shot?

No, I said that I thought the media were wrong if they made up the story about her shooting it out with enemy because she was brave no matter what.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Why is she a hero?

For someone who has to be smart enough to be in the medical profession, you aren't very smart.

Every one of our children over there in that desert, that could give their lives at any moment for YOU, is a hero.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
For someone who has to be smart enough to be in the medical profession, you aren't very smart.
Not speaking about myself . . . but there are a LOT of people in medicine (even neurosurgeons) that are not very smart.

Every one of our children over there in that desert, that could give their lives at any moment for YOU, is a hero.
You are so out of touch or under the veil of war propaganda. I'm not old enough to call them my children but they are not giving their lives for my freedom or the people of Iraq. We went after the Taliban b/c we were pissed at OBL (haven't heard that name in a while) NOT to free Afghanistan or even defeat terrorism. The Bush admin had full knowledge of an active terrorist camp in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq last year. He did not order an attack b/c he WANTED to invade Iraq and depose Saddam.

I certainly respect people who choose to enter military service for the good of their country. But there's little doubt our military is being misused in this endeavor. Many more Americans will die in this conflict b/c Bush had to have this invasion on HIS terms. Many Iraqi civilians will die for the same reason. I lament EVERY lost life . . . but unlike the CNN or FOX ticker I don't consider US deaths MORE significant than civilians . . . regardless of the circumstance.

It is really unfortunate what happened to PFC Lynch . . . even more so her fellow soldiers. But if they could read a map or follow directions you wouldn't know her name and probably wouldn't care what podunk town in West Virginia sent a 19yo supply clerk to Iraq. I don't have all the facts . . . but my suspicion is that she is alive b/c she is female. A female spared death by her captors b/c of her sex . . . is better than the alternative but hardly heroic, IMHO.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
but my suspicion is that she is alive b/c she is female. A female spared death by her captors b/c of her sex . . . is better than the alternative but hardly heroic, IMHO

The other dead female soldier must not have been feminine enough then I guess. You say that you don't have all the facts, but apparently enough to dismiss her as some lost hillbilly. I mean she's not "really" fighting for us anyway, she's a "19yo supply clerk"

I dunno all the facts, but let me guess...I'll bet she's more a soldier than you're a doctor....am I right?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The other dead female soldier must not have been feminine enough then I guess. You say that you don't have all the facts, but apparently enough to dismiss her as some lost hillbilly. I mean she's not "really" fighting for us anyway, she's a "19yo supply clerk"

Touchy, touchy . . . was she the navigator or lead driver that missed a turn? I don't think so. She was a member of a group that made a mistake . . . that mistake is the primary reason for their notoriety. If not for the mistake YOU would NOT care or know. When, where, and how she sustained her injuries . . . and what degree of torture and/or medical attention she received during her detention is beyond my knowledge base. But from the available information:

My deduction: someone's navigational error (probably not hers) led them into an ambush, she sustained one if not all of injuries during the assault, she was interrogated after capture possibly even tortured, she was liberated by US forces, and now she's receiving medical attention and national acclaim.

Others' deduction: she jumped off her vehicle sustaining two broken legs and fracturing a vertebrae, returned fire on the enemy while shielding a fallen comrade during which she sustained one if not two GSWs, she continued to fight even after running out of ammo, once captured she refused to speak even after they broke her arm and only God knows what else.

If the latter is closer to the truth . . . clearly the military sux at asset allocation b/c this woman is just BUDS training away from being a bad MOFO.

I dunno all the facts, but let me guess...I'll bet she's more a soldier than you're a doctor....am I right?
If you want to send some PM I would certainly be willing to assess your need to assault my credentials as a physician. I've NEVER questioned her ability to do her job . . . supply clerk . . . which may not have a great title but is quite vital to getting the job done. I think it's great she joined the military and plans to become a teacher. From anecdote alone she definitely has the right stuff. Some people WANT her to have two GSWs . . . I don't.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Murphyrulez
Why is she a hero?

I agree. One of my definitions of being a hero is someone who is willing to put their lives on the line for me. So, Jessica Lynch is a hero in my book as well as all our soldiers over there.