Jessica Lynch - should she get a Medal of Honor? (Poll)

Mrpilot007

Jan 5, 2003
Just putting up a poll guys. Note that there are no chads in this poll. :p

I think she should get it if the story is true. I know she'll get a few other medals as well.

kleinesarschloch

Jan 18, 2003
wouldn't it dilute the medal of honour if you gave it to every poor soul who was misfortunate enough to get captured?

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Mrpilot007
Just putting up a poll guys. Note that there are no chads in this poll. :p

I think she should get it if the story is true. I know she'll get a few other medals as well.

Her story has been overhyped. I'm glad she got rescued, but I don't think she did anything that was any more brave or courageous than anyone else. You don't get the Medal of Honor for getting captured.

There are still other POW's who have not been rescued yet. Why would she deserve an award and not them? I think a lot of people are in favor of giving her special treatment because she's a woman and she's small. But the military sees no such distinction. Also, it turns out that she was not shot or stabbed.

If anyone deserves a medal, it would be the special forces who went behind enemy lines and rescued her.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
From the information I have read, and it is sketchy, she does not qualify for the Medal of Honor.

I would never try to minimize her horrible experience, but the facts, so far, don't even qualify her for a Bronze Star. She did her job, just what she was expected to do.

A terrible and life altering experience, to be sure, but still just part of what every soldier in combat must face.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
No - She doesn't deserve it.
14 (votes) 56.00 (%

that was my vote, but I wouldn't be suprised to see her get it anyway.

Would like to see a full ACCUARATE account of what happened, there is always the possibility she did do something that would qualify her for a MOH, but I have not seen it yet. Who knows, she may have pulled injured fellow soldiers in the group out of danger of fire while placing herslef in the line of fire, who knows though.

A purple heart and a pow ribbon, obviously, MAYBE a bronze star.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
MEDALS OF HONOR AWARDED FOR ACTION IN SOMALIA

*GORDON, GARY I.

Rank and organization: Master Sergeant, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Lincoln, Maine. Citation: Master Sergeant Gordon, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Master Sergeant Gordon's sniper team provided precision fires from the lead helicopter during an assault and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. When Master Sergeant Gordon learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the second crash site, he and another sniper unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After his third request to be inserted, Master Sergeant Gordon received permission to perform his volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Master Sergeant Gordon was inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon and his fellow sniper, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Master Sergeant Gordon immediately pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Master Sergeant Gordon used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers until he depleted his ammunition. Master Sergeant Gordon then went back to the wreckage, recovering some of the crew's weapons and ammunition. Despite the fact that he was critically low on ammunition, he provided some of it to the dazed pilot and then radioed for help. Master Sergeant Gordon continued to travel the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. After his team member was fatally wounded and his own rifle ammunition exhausted, Master Sergeant Gordon returned to the wreckage, recovering a rifle with the last five rounds of ammunition and gave it to the pilot with the words, "good luck." Then, armed only with his pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon continued to fight until he was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Master Sergeant Gordon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

*SHUGHART, RANDALL D.

Rank and organization: Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Newville, Pennsylvania. Citation: Sergeant First Class Shughart, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. While providing critical suppressive fires at the second crash site, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the site. Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After their third request to be inserted, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Sergeant First Class Shughart pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Sergeant First Class Shughart used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers while traveling the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. Sergeant First Class Shughart continued his protective fire until he depleted his ammunition and was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Sergeant First Class Shughart's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Jessica Lynch may be in line for a Purple Heart, awarded for being wounded in battle, but it will take a lot more than that to be eligible for a Medal of Honor. That's not to put her down for anything, but by itself, being captured does not rise to the level of action defined in Army regs:
The Medal of Honor is awarded by the President in the name of Congress to a person who, while a member of the military, distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of the service will be exacted and each recommendation for the award of this decoration will be considered on the standard of extraordinary merit.

Extracted from: Chapter 3-6, Army Regulation 600-8-22 (Military Awards) dated 25 February 1995.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: render
Her story has been overhyped.

I guess you don't agree with this.

I'm not referring to her rescue, which was dramatic, I'm referring to the events before her capture. You know, the stories of her fighting even after she was shot multiple times and getting stabbed. She wasn't shot, and she wasn't stabbed. Those reports seem to have been fabricated.

I'm saying that although she went through an ordeal, she doesn't deserve a medal just for getting captured.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey
Jessica Lynch may be in line for a Purple Heart, awarded for being wounded in battle, but it will take a lot more than that to be eligible for a Medal of Honor. .
[/quote]

Was she wounded in battle, or was she wounded in captivity?

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Jessica Lynch may be in line for a Purple Heart, awarded for being wounded in battle, but it will take a lot more than that to be eligible for a Medal of Honor. .

Was she wounded in battle, or was she wounded in captivity?[/quote]

Doesn't matter. She would still be qualified for a purple heart.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Was she wounded in battle, or was she wounded in captivity?
I think a couple of broken arms and legs qualifies as wounded. From americal.org
Paragraph 2-8, Army Regulation 600-8-22 (Military Awards)
25 February 1995

The Purple Heart was established by General George Washington at Newburgh, New York, on 7 August 1782, during the Revolutionary War. It was reestablished by the President of the United States per War Department General Orders 3, 1932 and is currently awarded pursuant to Executive Order 11016, 25 April 1962, Executive Order 12464, 23 February 1984 and Public Law 98-525, 19 October 1984.

a. The Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force or any civilian national of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, has been wounded or killed, or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded-

(1) In any action against an enemy of the United States.

(2) In any action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the Armed Forces of the United States are or have been engaged.

(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

(4) As a result of an act of any such enemy of opposing armed forces.

(5) As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force

(6) After 28 March 1973, as a result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States, recognized as such an attack by the Secretary of the Army, or jointly by the Secretaries of the separate armed services concerned if persons from more than one service are wounded in the attack.

(7) After 28 March 1973, as a result of military operations while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.
Follow the link for more info.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I think a couple of broken arms and legs qualifies as wounded.

I wasn't arguing against the fact that she was wounded, I just wasn't sure if the same medal is given out to those injured in battle and those injured while in captivity. I thought that maybe a different kind of medal was awarded to those wounded in captivity.

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
should she get a Medal of Honor
No. That would be an insult to those who have actually deserved the award. Considering the countless soldiers throughout American history who have deserved the MoH but not received it, it strikes me as disgracefully irresponsible to give it to an unqualified individual like Lynch. Of course she should get a purple heart and any other medals she qualifies for, but from the information I've heard no MoH is warranted.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Let's not forget that there are still other POW's over there that have not had the luxury of being rescued yet. Let's not focus too much attention on someone who is already out of harm's way.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Should Jessica Lynch get a Medal of Honor?

No way. Why, because she actually fired her weapon and was captured? Barring some extraordinary act of heroism corroborated by other members of her unit, at this point she should get an Army Commendation Medal and a Purple Heart. My guess is that with the hype, they'll give her a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

From the information released earlier this weekend, it appears she was shot with a pistol (the information mentioned two exit and entry wounds consistent with a low caliber, low velocity round). Makes me wonder if it happened after the battle since only an idiot runs around a modern battlefield with a pistol.

Iwentsouth

Oct 19, 2001
She will get some medals but not the Medal of Honor. They will not give it to her because she is famous now either.