Jericho mini-review

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
In short, here are the things that anger me about Clive Barker's Jericho:

1. It's so bad after "Undying" was so good.

2. Save game at checkpoints- loathsome having to replay parts.

3. Can't jump.

4. Linear- can't leave path.

5. Total lack of team AI.

6. Lack of enemy AI

7. God-awful "follow the direction key arrows" puzzles.

I didn't think this game could be as bad as the reviews made it out to be, boy was I wrong. It's worse.

nubian1

Aug 1, 2007
I have to agree. This is one terrible game. Undying was a keeper and I had high hopes for Jericho but man did it stink, so bad I didn't even get close to finishing it.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it's pretty... and that's about the only thing the game has going for it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: coloumb

it is worth $8? ... as a pretty tech demo? ... i understand it is petty heavy on the PC HW requirements. Is there a built-in demo? :p

:D

i just picked it up this morning at B&M CC and noticed this thread ... it is still UN-opened

--Return it?
:confused:

i also got Persius Mandate - FEAR's 3rd X-pack for $10 - even though i never finished the 2nd expansion. To be fair, i was near the end and lost the saves after the format, so at least that may be worthwhile.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

OH, was Persues Mandate one of the ones on sale at CC? I'm glad I played the Jericho Demo. I thought it was so bad, I didn't finish the demo, lol.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
yep ... there were a few left although the selection was pretty limited
--which is why i picked up Jericho

i DID play the demo ... but i figured WtH, a cheeseburger is $8 :p

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: nRollo

That is a pity, because Undying is probably the best horror game no one played. It was WAY ahead of its time, and it pulled the magic-on-one-hand-gun-on-the-other trick well before BioShock brought it into the limelight this year, although to be fair to Looking Glass, System Shock 2 was really the first game to pull that gimmick off well.

Glad I still have my copy of Undying around...at least it knows it's not completely alone...

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: coloumb

it is worth $8? ... as a pretty tech demo? ... i understand it is petty heavy on the PC HW requirements. Is there a built-in demo? :p

i just picked it up this morning at B&M CC and noticed this thread ... it is still UN-opened

--Return it?
:confused:

i also got Persius Mandate - FEAR's 3rd X-pack for $10 - even though i never finished the 2nd expansion. To be fair, i was near the end and lost the saves after the format, so at least that may be worthwhile.

I got it cheap too, but man do you get sick of the replays. Computer games without "save" should be illegal, not to mention the other sins I listed.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ja1484

That is a pity, because Undying is probably the best horror game no one played. It was WAY ahead of its time, and it pulled the magic-on-one-hand-gun-on-the-other trick well before BioShock brought it into the limelight this year, although to be fair to Looking Glass, System Shock 2 was really the first game to pull that gimmick off well.

Glad I still have my copy of Undying around...at least it knows it's not completely alone...

Long after the V5 was a good card to have, I yanked whatever NVIDIA card I was using at the time and played Undying all the time.

It was just the stuff. The only knock you could say about it was too few monsters per level.

I also used to play Undying with shutter glasses and a GF4, which looked totally great, but the refresh rate being halved by the glasses was headache inducing. You'd have to play at someres you could get 150Hz out of, so you could have a 75Hz effective refesh rate.

I guess that wouldn't matter anymore with LCDs, but no one gives out shutter glasses with GTXs.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I enjoyed the game, probably more-so than Call of Duty 4 to be honest.

I think it had a Serious Sam/Painkiller vibe to it combined with Barker's twisted storytelling and environments. Combat was fun, as was the ability to jump between characters.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: ja1484

Long after the V5 was a good card to have, I yanked whatever NVIDIA card I was using at the time and played Undying all the time.

It was just the stuff. The only knock you could say about it was too few monsters per level.

I also used to play Undying with shutter glasses and a GF4, which looked totally great, but the refresh rate being halved by the glasses was headache inducing. You'd have to play at someres you could get 150Hz out of, so you could have a 75Hz effective refesh rate.

I guess that wouldn't matter anymore with LCDs, but no one gives out shutter glasses with GTXs.

Flying Scythe Fight v. Otto Keisinger in Oneiros still ranks as the coolest boss battle ever, IMHO. In fact, all the boss encounters in Undying were really really well done. Most of them had a slight puzzle tinge to go along with the shooting and dodging, and of course, the "finishing move" was just plain badass as a nod to the gore-heads :D

Edit: Oh yeah, and coolest atmospheric mechanic in a horror game goes to the Scrye spell. God they used that so well.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Yep, Undying is one of the finest games I've ever played.

I didn't use the Scythe on Keisinger though, I bombarded him with skull storms while flying from ledge to ledge.

Damn, I wish that game had a sequel. :(

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I played through the first level and got a bit bored. I did enjoy mowing down the monsters, but the saving-by-checkpoints mechanic was incredibly annoying. And I didn't want to get to one of the arrow-key puzzles from the demo. That made me stop playing the demo.

It was kind of funny how crappy it was in some ways, considering how many people were just going "ZOMG IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME!!!!!!!111"

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Yep, Undying is one of the finest games I've ever played.

I didn't use the Scythe on Keisinger though, I bombarded him with skull storms while flying from ledge to ledge.

Damn, I wish that game had a sequel. :(

I got my scythe out and flew from ledge to ledge, mixing it up with him mid flight. I'm sorry, but it was plain cool. Felt like being in a Wire-Fu film.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I enjoyed the game, probably more-so than Call of Duty 4 to be honest.

I think it had a Serious Sam/Painkiller vibe to it combined with Barker's twisted storytelling and environments. Combat was fun, as was the ability to jump between characters.

I like playing it as well, and if they let me save, jump, fall, explore, and gat rid of the direction key puzzles, it would be one of my favorite games this year probably.

They just did too much wrong to keep me playing. :(

So I'm playing Crysis again.

sanzen07

Feb 15, 2007
Man, I'm digging out Undying tonight :) That game is a work of art. I think it still holds up well as a quality horror game.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: sanzen07
Man, I'm digging out Undying tonight :) That game is a work of art. I think it still holds up well as a quality horror game.

Whatever happened to that development team? They executed so well, I'd love to look at other titles they did...

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
the game had some flaws.. considering them, and just going along with what was given.. i liked the game.. i didnt mind spending $20 on it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i have to say it is pretty good looking graphics with everything fully maxed out ... and i had a hard time putting it down ...

... it's still better than an $8 cheeseburger :p
:lips:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just <edit>watch</edit> Yahtzee's review on it... pretty much hits every nail on the head... perfectly... no bends.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
In short, here are the things that anger me about Clive Barker's Jericho:

2. Save game at checkpoints- loathsome having to replay parts.

3. Can't jump.

4. Linear- can't leave path.

5. Total lack of team AI.

6. Lack of enemy AI

7. God-awful "follow the direction key arrows" puzzles.

I didn't think this game could be as bad as the reviews made it out to be, boy was I wrong. It's worse.

Agreed!... I can't believe I wasted the money on buying this game,Clive Barker should of spent the time and money on a sequal to the Undying.