Jeff Sessions offered to and may resign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
In the current environment I don't see anybody close to the president actually quitting or even getting fired probably. The former deprives you of group cover and the latter turns employees into potential cooperating witnesses. It's kind of like being trapped on a burning ship surrounded by sharks.

Reactions: Blackjack200

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The rub here is that if Sessions steps down, the whole recusal thing goes away. If that goes away and another stooge is appointed then they may yank Mueller from being a special prosecutor. This is a classic case of "careful what you wish for".

Speculation is Sessions resigns, next AG yanks Meuller, Sessions appointed special prosecutor? Am I following that correctly?

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
Sorry your state sucks so hard. You should leave. If I was young, no kids (I'm assuming at this point, basically no ties), and living in AL...I'd be out in a hot minute.

edit: That's the same for almost any Red State. I have family that are Red state dwellers, we don't chat much. It'd be tough to live there for me.
If I had no ties, I'd have left 10 years ago.

Alabama's problem is people that are stuck in the past voting for people stuck in the past.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Speculation is Sessions resigns, next AG yanks Meuller, Sessions appointed special prosecutor? Am I following that correctly?

My jump to conclusions mat isn't rolled out that far. I'm not sure how that could fly. It's not like getting fired automatically clears you of any of the shit that you had to recuse yourself of in the first place. People would go apeshit over that.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
My jump to conclusions mat isn't rolled out that far. I'm not sure how that could fly. It's not like getting fired automatically clears you of any of the shit that you had to recuse yourself of in the first place. People would go apeshit over that.

I'm in agreement. Just speculating how things may go.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
If that traitorous confederate garden gnome gets chucked from office I am definitely going to celebrate.

I won't. To be clear, this would not be a victory in my mind. It just shows how low things have gotten, that we must rely on legal proceedings to oust someone of Trump's... caliber. If everything is true, of course (I personally think it is).

Reactions: Azuma Hazuki

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I won't. To be clear, this would not be a victory in my mind. It just shows how low things have gotten, that we must rely on legal proceedings to oust someone of Trump's... caliber. If everything is true, of course (I personally think it is).

Though if Trump's presidency concludes as you think it will, I think there will be considerable political fall-out from it. It would probably be too much to ask that it causes the republican party as we know it to implode, but perhaps they'll look a bit more closely at their candidates in future lest there be a repeat incident (if that happened, they might get a rep for it).

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
e5c01c9dd0a0da58e44468f703dfbbd7.jpg

My word... It must be the Vapors!

2 spoons of Laudenum and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
Though if Trump's presidency concludes as you think it will, I think there will be considerable political fall-out from it. It would probably be too much to ask that it causes the republican party as we know it to implode, but perhaps they'll look a bit more closely at their candidates in future lest there be a repeat incident (if that happened, they might get a rep for it).

Umm...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I mean, a repeat incident in a very short period of time. AFAIK the last time a situation like this occurred was to do with Nixon, which plenty of the electorate wasn't even born then, let alone factoring in peoples' generally short memories.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
I mean, a repeat incident in a very short period of time. AFAIK the last time a situation like this occurred was to do with Nixon, which plenty of the electorate wasn't even born then, let alone factoring in peoples' generally short memories.
I just feel like we'll have a "hold my beer" situation soon.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I just feel like we'll have a "hold my beer" situation soon.

Please don't say things like that. In 48 hours' time I'm going to be depressed enough as it is! (UK election, the conservatives are going to win and continue to fuck everything up, almost like it's their mission in life)

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
Please don't say things like that. In 48 hours' time I'm going to be depressed enough as it is! (UK election, the conservatives are going to win and continue to fuck everything up, almost like it's their mission in life)
I have this feeling that the midterm elections will put more ardent Trump supporters in DC.

I originally thought that some Americans would've awaken from their delusions and make changes in the midterms, then I woke up.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This could be the first positive step in the Trump Administration, assuming His Donaldship doesn't pick someone even worse. Sessions hasn't really had a lot of time yet to truly damage the Justice Department or change many of its policies, but he has some truly 19th century ideas.

I hope he does bail. Any rational person in Trump's cabinet (I know, that is probably a false assumption) must be having second and third thoughts on what they signed into at this point.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If I had no ties, I'd have left 10 years ago.

Alabama's problem is people that are stuck in the past voting for people stuck in the past.

I'd say that's true for pretty much everyone. Most people usually vote based on a few key subjects, and in the south, it's unsurprisingly based upon religion. It's only worse because most people don't do research, and simply go off of memes that they saw on Facebook. My mom posted that Fox News image of the US, China and Russia's contributions to the Green Climate Fund, and as you'd expect, she complained about it. Like a good kid, I simply provided the fund's page on pledged contributions per country.

So, I guess I'd rather say that people are too religious-minded when it comes to voting in Alabama... and other places.

Reactions: JMC2000