Jean shorts = not cool :(

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I got slammed for wearing jean shorts today by three different groups and a radio commercial. I didn't know they were the equivalent of a leisure suit these days. They're plain Levi's shorts. A group of girls at work gave me the "nice shorts-10 years ago" line, my buddy that helped me with a tune up asked if I ran out of clothes, and my daughter asked "are those denim shorts?!"

Then, on the radio, I hear the Bud Light commercial "Here's to you Mr. Jean Shorts Wearer" (we'll call them "Jorts").

I don't have a LOT of jean shorts, but I had no idea they were so frowned upon!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Cargo shorts made of khaki'esque material = the "new" jean short

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
They seem to be fairly popular among the poor, white dudes. Of course so is Budweiser, mullets and Firebirds.

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Screw that, I'm not getting rid of my jean shorts....and I'll be "cool" in 10 years!

Dec 10, 2005
Bah.... I still wear jean shorts. They're comfortable and I don't have to go buying more damn clothes.

Edit:
For the record, I'm talking of shorts that go down to at least the knee (when sitting at my waist), are not hugging my leg, are not cut offs, and are made of denim.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not a trendy person or anything, but you should be able to tell just by looking around. How many people do you see wearing jean shorts these days? I don't think I see anyone of any age wearing them.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: loup garou
yep, not cool

:p

Oh come on! That picture is from 5 years ago :D

I forgot I still had that site up: The jawbreaker experiment
You have to admit, that was too perfect a picture for this thread.

I was looking at your profile to see if you were from NJ and clicked on the link. I'd never seen people wearing jean shorts until I went there (NJ, not your site).

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
yep, not cool

Holy crap! Minus the goofy jean shorts that guy is my twin!! I had to ask my wife to make sure that wasn't me. Seriously, I looked at that pic and was thinking "I don't remember owning a shirt like that." If that's you Fritzo, I think we were separated at birth. I think I need to have a talk with my parents. :D

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
yep, not cool

Those are not what he's talking about.
um, unless he's talking about Tobias Funke never-nude cutoffs, they probably are, considering that's a picture of HIM wearing JEAN SHORTS.

Still, they're not the kind that are considered JORTS. Those go to the knee.
:confused:

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
How were you made fun of that much for them? Were they like the guy in her209's post?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
As long as they are purchased jean shorts and not old jeans tat you cut the bottoms of off, I think you're fine. I wear jean shorts all the time. Sonoma Carpenter Jean Shorts to be exact. Love the loose feel and the extra pockets.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv
yep, not cool

Holy crap! Minus the goofy jean shorts that guy is my twin!! I had to ask my wife to make sure that wasn't me. Seriously, I looked at that pic and was thinking "I don't remember owning a shirt like that." If that's you Fritzo, I think we were separated at birth. I think I need to have a talk with my parents. :D

That's me (5 years ago, but me). I have other pics of me on that site- that one isn't the most flattering :D

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: trmiv
yep, not cool

Shorts like that are out of fashion? It's a good thing I really don't care about what's fashionable. And, I couldn't care less about the opinions of people who would criticize me for wearing shorts like that.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
As long as they are purchased jean shorts and not old jeans tat you cut the bottoms of off, I think you're fine. I wear jean shorts all the time. Sonoma Carpenter Jean Shorts to be exact. Love the loose feel and the extra pockets.

You wear these? :confused:

I hope to God you're at least 70. If not, I am forcibly revoking your man card.