java revisited

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
ok rather then try and follow another tutorial and have to have bersl2 rescue me again thought I would ask a straight forward question here.

I downloaded and installed java on fedora core 3.
navigating through the file system I have found the install @root
/usr/java/jdk1.50_03
inside this folder are 4 folders jre,man,lib,and samples and a few docs.

I have read that if i type java at prompt and I get command not found it is because java needs to be in the path?
And I would do this by typing @ root export PATH =$PATH:/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_03
and to make it permanent to add that line to the /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc text files

Question one:>/Is this correct?

I mainly use firefox ver1.04 its plugin folder
is located in /usr/lib/firefox-1.04/plugins
inside of this i am told needs to be a symbolic link to the java plugin.
there is one there now but it shows as being broken.

Question two: >/assuming question one was correct and I now have java in my path my symlink will either be ok now or its path may be off in which case I should delete it and try again to set the link up.

am i forgetting anything else?
thx dan

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Damn if I could ever get Java working properly in FC3.

Yes, you will need to add a few lines (try searching PATH and/or CLASSPATH with Java on Google, lotsa people asking about it) so that you can use the Java commands.

You are correct in that you need a symlink with some libouaj?? file, but I always got the broken link also.

In FC2 these steps worked flawlessly and I had java commands working as well as the plugin for Firefox. But in FC3 I could never get the plugin part working correctly.

I think there's a good section about Java on fedorafaq.org

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I use jpackage.org for all my java stuff on fedora (at least the stuff that I want a repository to control). It's a little bit complex because they can't distribute Sun's binary so you have to follow instructions and build an rpm. After that everything's smooth though.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: kamper
I use jpackage.org for all my java stuff on fedora (at least the stuff that I want a repository to control). It's a little bit complex because they can't distribute Sun's binary so you have to follow instructions and build an rpm. After that everything's smooth though.

more complex then this hmm..
think i will wait for a third answer thank you though:)

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: OffTopic

Q: How do I install Java? -- The Unofficial Fedora FAQ
edit:
well what the heck gave it a try temporarily moved my yum.conf to a backup folder and created a new /etc/yum.conf with gedit and pasted his lines in and saved it. He said in the instructions to download it but since its just a textfile this should be equivilant.

it did all the usual yum stuff you see on an update or install until it timed out with none of the mirrors are responding? tried it about 3 times same thing.
will try again tomorrow maybe they just down temp? If that doesn't work will try download from sun again and this time follow thier directions instead of that tutorials...there instruction page seems pretty comprehensive.