Japanese mileage limit for engines?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Is it true that Japanese cars aren't allowed to have engines over a certain number of miles, and that the Japanese sell these engines to foreigners?

Edited for poor English.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
I have no recent knowledge. 15 years ago I read that their vehicle inspections were so
sever that replacement was cheaper than repair. The primary purpose was not one
of safety issues but to drive consumerism. In town in order to buy a car you must have it's
parking place inspected, measured and registered...... :confused:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Haha at the wav file. I don't think they have a law prohibiting high mile cars, but they do have various things against used cars such as safety checks and registration policies which seem to punish people with older cars to a great extent. AFAIK used cars in Japan go for a song - much less than what they cost here - because once it gets to a certain age or mileage you have to get it inspected so much as to be a major pain in the ass.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
gotta get a new engine after 30k miles

which is why you see alot of engines coming into the US with 30k miles for swaps and such

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
There is no such law "requiring" engine replacement at a certain mileage. That is a urban myth propagated by importers and car owners who simply don't know or understand the situation in Japan. The high taxes (annually assessed), insurance premiums, gas costs, and especially the safety inspection/registration (occurs biennial) combine to keep turnover of vehicles high.

For example, the Safety inspection for your typical car (say Camry/Accord type) can typically cost $2,000....each time! New vehicles have a 3 year grace period before they are required to submit for the Safety Inspection. In other words, for a 10 year old car, you will have already paid over $8,000, in just Safety Inspection fees! Don't forget, gas over in Japan is also typically four times the cost of here in the U.S. Mileage is kept low on the vehicles as EVERYONE (unless your fabulously rich and patient) uses alternative transportation to get around. Most folks use the trains for local and medium distance traveling/commuting.

Source

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
gotta get a new engine after 30k miles

which is why you see alot of engines coming into the US with 30k miles for swaps and such

I know my friend bought one of these engines for the older model civic he had.

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
After like 40-60km, the engine must be recertified for emmisions. Its cheaper to buy a new engine or car or whatever than to go back through the emmisions testing.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Not based on mileage but age. Inspections are once every 3 years for the first 2 times, then every 2 years until 10 years, then every year after that. So there is a distinct advantage of buying a new car after 10years. Most of the time you can buy a 3rd year car for close to a third of the price of the car when it was new. There are people who keep their cars for a long time though, like my uncle who has a 12year old Nissan Gloria with at least 200k km on it.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Smog in Tokyo? You betcha!

I'm do not have a link, but 6 years ago Honda had a prototype 1.0 L, 3cyl car
that had cleaner exhaust than Tokyo air on a bad smog day. It cleaned the
air as it went through the engine!!.....:Q

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
They have something called Shaken which forces you to get your car certified every few years. As it gets older, you need to do it every year and pay a ton in fees and repairs. Most people give up their cars after I'd say 6 years. It is a way by the govt to force people to constantly buy new cars.

On another note, Japanese motorcycle companies are not allowed to sell motorcycles over 400cc in Japan. If a Japanese person wants to buy a 400cc+ motorcycle, it must be made outside Japan.

Also, there is a huge tax on cars with over a 2.6L engine. If you look at Japanese license plates, there is usually a small 2 digit number along the top. Large engine cars always start with a 3 and was a sort of status symbol back when. The tax on larger engines is why you used to see only small displacement cars from Japanese manufacturers.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
What pathetically wasteful policies those are.

You haven't been to Japan have you? They make up for it by cutting thier smog problem, conserving fuel, and making massive use of public transportation.

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by: gogeeta13
After like 40-60km, the engine must be recertified for emmisions. Its cheaper to buy a new engine or car or whatever than to go back through the emmisions testing.

When I first read your post I thought you had writen 40-60 kilometers rather than 1000 miles.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i just remember reading about some stigma about buying used sh*t. they throw stuff out.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
i just remember reading about some stigma about buying used sh*t. they throw stuff out.

It was for the older generations but now most people don't think anything of it. Secondhand clothes stores do very good business.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This thread literally changed my mind on japan. I used to think they were pretty green and all into recycling, they seem to have alot of tech that is green and not wasteful.

But this is a huge waste and negates all of that, its just insane, a new car every 3-4 years for no reason? its insane. Ive never even owned a car that new in my lifetime, such a huge waste. Its almost inconceivable.