heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
linky

pretty interesting article from several viewpoints:

Japan contributes 20% of all U.N. funding
U.S. + Japan = 42% of all U.N. funding
Germany+France < Japan in U.N. funding

funny part is Japan feels they "don't get any respect" even though they are #2 in funding the U.N.
HAHAHHA
like we get any respect at the U.N.....

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
funny part is Japan feels they "don't get any respect"

Did they hire Rodney Dangerfield as their spokesman?

Though their contribution sounds about the same as britain or france, when considered as funding per capita (japan has 180mil, compared with 60 mil for each britain and france with roughly equal per capita GDP).

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
France should be taken off the Security Council and Japan put in instead. I am not a mindless French basher, but they just aren't very important anymore, especially compared to Japan.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: TheBDB
France should be taken off the Security Council and Japan put in instead. I am not a mindless French basher, but they just aren't very important anymore, especially compared to Japan.

If you want to replace anyone of the veto weilding countries, Britain would have to be the first one to go, as they are the weakest of the five. In fact, both Germany and Japan would make better candidates than Britain.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

If you want to replace anyone of the veto weilding countries, Britain would have to be the first one to go, as they are the weakest of the five. In fact, both Germany and Japan would make better candidates than Britain.

I was actually thinking Britain and France should be replaced by Japan and the EU. The EU could have it rotate through it's members or vote on a representative or whatever.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I was actually thinking Britain and France should be replaced by Japan and the EU. The EU could have it rotate through it's members or vote on a representative or whatever.

that would make sense, though I would wait on that change for 5 years or so since the EU isnt exactly that stable right now, and another change, no veto powers

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

Well, that can't work today, but it can happen when the EU has a common foreign policy..and it will take quite a bit of time before that happens.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I wonder if Japan would feel this way if the UN did away with the veto power all together?

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I wonder if the world would be better or worse if the UN did away with the veto power of SC members.

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
I agree Japan & Germany should replace britain and france.

Anyone have an idea how much China puts in?

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
Antarctica is the most under represented faction in the UN, who will defend the penguins? U'd be surprised at how little Linux cash they get.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gaard
I wonder if Japan would feel this way if the UN did away with the veto power all together?

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I wonder if the world would be better or worse if the UN did away with the veto power of SC members.

If anything, I think the Iraq War shows the need for Veto Power. If there was no Veto Power, the US/Britain would have had the blessing of the UN for this unnecessary war.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski

If anything, I think the Iraq War shows the need for Veto Power. If there was no Veto Power, the US/Britain would have had the blessing of the UN for this unnecessary war.

huh??? the votes didn't work out that way. No one vetoed.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

huh??? the votes didn't work out that way. No one vetoed.

No one vetoed, because no one voted. The lack of a second resolution(approving the Iraq Invasion) was the result of Frances vow to veto.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

And The UN would have actually done the right thing for a change.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
The UN needs to be dismantled because they won't go along with the "my way or the highway" attitude of the Bush Regime.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Would it have received a majority?

Not sure. There were times when many thought so, but it seemed to depend on when the question was asked.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NesuD

And The UN would have actually done the right thing for a change.

Matter of opinion, one I don't share.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001

The U.N probably wouldn't exist at all if the Security Council members didn't have veto powers. No one on the security council who has veto powers will ever give it up.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: glugglug
The UN needs to be dismantled because they won't go along with the "my way or the highway" attitude of the Bush Regime.

the UN needs to be done away with because they are worthless. they cant uphold any of their resolutions and their peace keeping forces arent doing any peace keeping. not only that, but theyve allowed corrupt nations with totalitarian dictators to have posirions of power.

this appeasement crap doesnt fly, and it needs to end.

gaga38

Apr 15, 2003

No one vetoed, because no one voted. The lack of a second resolution(approving the Iraq Invasion) was the result of Frances vow to veto.

you forgot the russian and china vow to veto too lol