James Cameron says "Crysis 2" is new 3D benchmark

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
That's like complaining that your Honda Civic doesn't run well enough for drag racing. It's a good game in its own right, and to say that it's bad because cutting-edge graphics need a good computer is a bit silly. It actually ran quite smooth for me on medium/high settings with a single core, 2gb of memory, and an 8800gt.

sorry, i ran it on a 8800GT and it didn't run very well for me. maybe we have different standards.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
What a misleading title...it should say "Some Crytek dude said Cameron said he loved Crisis 2 3D".

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Dear god...ANOTHER fucking post from someone who entered a thread they obviously don't like knowing what it was about to begin with. This is getting ridiculous

So is TechBoy's love affair with Crytek in PCG. I mean seriously, does he NEED to start at least 2 threads a month about Crysis or Crytek? Seriously? I think I count 2 threads in the last year that DON'T deal with Crytek. And half the posts don't even relate to PCG other than the words Crytek or Crysis in them.

TechBoyCrytek.jpg

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
So is TechBoy's love affair with Crytek in PCG. I mean seriously, does he NEED to start at least 2 threads a month about Crysis or Crytek? Seriously? I think I count 2 threads in the last year that DON'T deal with Crytek. And half the posts don't even relate to PCG other than the words Crytek or Crysis in them.

TechBoyCrytek.jpg

nobody cares but you

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

TechBoyCrytek.jpg

who cares, just ignore them. a lot of ppl like to discuss Crysis related content.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Since the thread is already being hijacked, I will provide further distraction: is the enthusiast setting the highest? I was very supportive of Crysis even on my 3800+/7900 GT when I played on low/medium as it was still good competition for any other game. However, I was actually a little underwhelmed after buying Warhead and a new computer (X4 965/6870) after playing Mafia II. Crytek may still be technically the cutting edge, but artistically they can't hold up.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That's like complaining that your Honda Civic doesn't run well enough for drag racing. It's a good game in its own right, and to say that it's bad because cutting-edge graphics need a good computer is a bit silly. It actually ran quite smooth for me on medium/high settings with a single core, 2gb of memory, and an 8800gt.
you actually played modern games on an 8800gt but with a single core cpu? was this some experiment to see just how much graphics power you could waste? lol

btw for those still claiming you need a beastly machine just to play at all, I played it just fine on DX9 medium and water on high at 1440x900 with a wimpy 8600gt and 4400 x2.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
And the graphics whores rejoiced.

Honestly, I don't care if a game looks like it's 10 years old as long as the gameplay is solid; I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Crysis 2...

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
And the graphics whores rejoiced.

Honestly, I don't care if a game looks like it's 10 years old as long as the gameplay is solid; I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Crysis 2...
then stick with 10 year old games. most of us want a game with good gameplay AND modern graphics.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Its just like James C. to copy from video games. He already stole avatar worlds from World of Warcraft. If you dont believe me. Take a look at Nagrand and Zangarmarsh in WoW and tell me he didnt steal from those.

/agree

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
“James Cameron has seen Crysis 2, and he loved what he saw because his eyes are trained for 3D more than anyone else’s"

Wait, wat?! o_O

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Crysis 2 will be just like Black Ops..a high action, heavily scripted, rail shooter. not really a bad thing imo just that they have no replay value and tend to feel short. They noted about taking cues from COD series, so i guess no sandbox gameplay which would be better if someone could finally nail down a decent AI.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Its just like James C. to copy from video games. He already stole avatar worlds from World of Warcraft. If you dont believe me. Take a look at Nagrand and Zangarmarsh in WoW and tell me he didnt steal from those.

You could actually check this out if you could find the original script. As it was written over ten years ago.

Not to mention, that if no one 'borrowed' from previous works, next to nothing would get done. And referencing WoW and 'stealing' is pretty funny, since they mostly appropriated from other extant games.

The problem with Crysis storyline is that everyone thinks they are a good writer. And, sadly, that's not true even for some best selling types.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
then stick with 10 year old games. most of us want a game with good gameplay AND modern graphics.
Where did i say that i dont? I just dont think that many games that are coming out do a really good job of both. It's either over the top graphics or really good gameplay; hardly ever both. Dont get me wrong; I'm not saying that all games with good gameplay look terrible. They just dont look as good as Crysis and have great gameplay.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Well the thing is, with CryEngine 3, the advancements were less about raw graphical power as they were in efficiency, 3D, and able to scale to consoles. So Crysis 2 won't look much better than Crysis 1, but it should play easier for systems. "should".

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010

You realise that basically every futuristic FPS game with space marines is inspired by the movie Aliens which was written and directed by Cameron?

Doom was originally supposed to use the Aliens license. And Halo stole almost everything from it, the weapons, the spaceships and the Sergeant Johnson character is a perfect clone of the guy from Aliens.

AJ_-_Comparison.png