jaaaaazzzzzzzzz

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
ok so i'm goign through this jazz phase. i'm currently listening to miles davis, and wow, its hitting this key.

anybody else you guys would reccommend as the "kings of jazz?!"

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I suggest you go to Amazon and look at people's lists. They're a good way to start.

If you like Miles, you'ld probably like albums by any members of his band. I really like Cannonball and Nat Adderly's stuff.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Chick Corea and Return to Forever and the solo albums done by the alumni of that group( Chick, Al Demiola, Stanely Clarke, Lenny White,etc.). Weather Report is also great especially their album "Heavy Weather" Brand X and Mahavishnu Orchestra are also worth taking a listen too!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Etta James
Dave Brubeck
Stan Getz
Thelonius Monk
Joshua Redmon
Duke Ellington
Ella Fitzgerald
Chick Corea
Charles Mingus
Al DiMeola
Billie Holiday

xeno2060

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2001
If you're into sax players(Jazz) Branford Marsalis, Jeff Kashiwa are really good:D

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
hmm, i like the suggestions so far, been listening on and off.

i think i'm more into the non-vocals jazz/blues sorta stuff; so definitely sax kind of stuff.

anythign else specific to that?

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Mahavisnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin), and conjur has mentioned many good ones.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Etta James
Dave Brubeck
Stan Getz
Thelonius Monk
Joshua Redmon
Duke Ellington
Ella Fitzgerald
Chick Corea
Charles Mingus
Al DiMeola
Billie Holiday

Charlie Parker. My mind is blank, but conjur's list is very, very awesome. Be sure to check out Brubeck's and the Duke's bands if you want some incredible arrnagement and compositional genius.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
You can't go wrong with any of Coltrane's recordings.... pure genius. Conjur's list is a great place to start!! :)

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
I would humbly add to this list some of my mellow favorites.

Cal Jader..Vibes
Wes Montgumery..Guitar
Amad Jamal..Piano
Louis Armstrong..Trumpet

Fusion jazz was not well embraced by many jazz fans.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I'm going through a jazz phase myself.. I find I'm enjoying listening to my local "smooth jazz" station even though I have no idea who most of these people are. Love the sax music, though, so I'd love to hear more recommendations there!

:beer::D

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
i think i'm more into the non-vocals jazz/blues sorta stuff; so definitely sax kind of stuff.
Just my alley. You probably won't like the fusion stuff then.

Some of my favorite sax players (in the Jazz/Blues vein):

Cannonball Adderly
Albert Ammons
King Curtis
Junior Walker
David "Fathead" Newman
Eddie "Cleanhead" Vincent
Earl Bostic
Sam Butera

cipher00

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
Go to Mapleshade. Anything by Mr. Jordan is superb. BTW, beware. Most recordings (I'm assuming you're using CD) are, well, not very good. Mapleshade's recordings rock. Truly. At $9.40 a crack (4 or more) you really can't go wrong. FWIW.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Originally posted by: conjur
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Etta James
Dave Brubeck
Stan Getz
Thelonius Monk
Joshua Redmon
Duke Ellington
Ella Fitzgerald
Chick Corea
Charles Mingus
Al DiMeola
Billie Holiday

Charlie Parker. My mind is blank, but conjur's list is very, very awesome. Be sure to check out Brubeck's and the Duke's bands if you want some incredible arrnagement and compositional genius.

Damn...knew I was forgetting someone (and a few others, I'm sure ;) )

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
Depends on what sort of jazz you are into. Miles Davis played many different styles of jazz, some of which I love (his earlier stuff) and then he went off the deep end as far as I'm concerned and played very out there stuff. The 2 legendary jazz albums are Kind of Blue (with Miles and Coltrane) and Blue Train (with Coltrane, Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller). You gotta get those, they are awesome. If you're like me and like the more straight ahead, bebop, blues type jazz check out these guys:

Trumpets:

Clifford Brown - greatest bebop trumpet player ever, don't even argue with me on this. Died tragically young.
Fats Navarro - He was playing bebop a decade before people knew it existed, he inspired Clifford Brown.
Lee Morgan - Early stuff is great bebop, esp his famous Sidewinder album. A Clifford Brown protegee.
Freddie Hubbard - Similar bebop style to Lee Morgan.
Dizzy - He's the Diz, nuff said.
Wynton Marsalis - young guy, albums worth checking out: Joe Cool's Blues, Standard Time Vol 1, any Lincoln Center Ellington Orchestra revival stuff he's doing
Roy Hargrove - Another young lion, he's young stuff is HOT. Check out: The Collected Roy Hargrove, Tenors of our Time, Parker's Mood <-- bass, trumpet, piano trio album playing all Charlie Parker tunes, its freakin good!
Nicholas Payton - another young lion similar to Hargrove and is amazing. Has New Orleans roots. Must have albums of his: Payton's Place, Gumbo Nouveux, Dear Louis.
Leroy Jones - very unknown, underrated. He is true to the New Orleans style of play. Very bluesy, very hip, very soulful. He's best known as the trumpet soloist for Harry Connick's Big Band.

A few others if you get bored with these: Thad Jones, Art Farmer, Clark Terry, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Roy Eldridge, Kenny Dorham, Snooky Young.

Sax:
Cannonball Adderly - One of the most inspiring alto bop players.
Coltrane - every loves him cept me. His later stuff is too out there for me, but his earlier stuff is on the spot (like Blue Train album)
Charlie Parker - set the standard of alto bebop playing.
Sonny Stitt - pretty underrated but totally amazing. Check out album Sonny Side Up with him, Sonny Rollins and a burning Dizzy on trumpet.
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - almost funny to hear play, real bluesy and cool.
Joshua Redman - Young lion. His early stuff is soooo good (he's gone pretty out there recently). Albums worth checking out: Live at the Vanguard, self titled one, Freedom in the Groove, Timeless Changes.
Antonio Hart - Phenomenal young lion alto player.
There a tons of other sax players who are great.

Trombone:
JJ Johnson: The absolute king of bebop trombone. In fact that's an understatement, he was the Emperor, the God of jazz trombone. He's the one that took a clumsy odd instrument that people couldn't play very fast or hip, and turned it into a bebop machine. Every trombone player to come after him was inspired in some way by JJ. Good Albums: The Eminent JJ Johnson (both volumes), JJ Inc. (my fav), Live at the Vanguard, any JJ and Kai album.
WYcliffe Gordon - very young, very aggressive player. He plays incredibly down and dirty, it's awesome. He was Wynton's sidekick bone player for a long time and you can check him out on alot of Wynton's Septet stuff, but Wycliffe's solo albums are ruthless as well! He has a duo cd with another bone player John Allred called Head to Head that is the best.
Steve Turre: Bone player on SNL band. Awesome player, also known for playing jazz on sea shells, and it's pretty hip.

Bass Players:
Ray Brown - the bass player legend.
Christian McBride - young guy, very agressive and awesome.
John Clayton - Big band leader, composer, good player.
Neils Orsted Pederson - One of THE most amazing bass players along with Ray Brown. White guy from Sweden, you'd be amazed at what he does. Long time sidekick to Oscar Peterson.

Piano:
Oscar Peterson - in my opinion the most amazing piano ever (and he's still alive and playing!). His technique is amazing, he bops like no other, utterly amazing, you can't overstate how good he is. Any album with him is freakin good, especially if it's live. All his live jam ablums from Montreux are nuts.
Gene Harris - this guy swings harder than any other mofo. He is the epitamy of blues piano jazz. He grooves on and on, check it out.
Benny Green - Oscar Peteron protegee, kind of a cross between Gene and Oscar, cant go wrong with him.

A list of some good big bands: Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Clayton/Hamilton, Harry Connick's, Airmen of Note, Army Blues Band, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis.

Hope this list is kind of helpful. I tried to put up a bunch of names of players you might not have otherwise heard of. I have alot of jazz, over 300 albums. Stuff I listed is a bunch of stuff that isn't weird, way out there, wtf are you playing? type of jazz. It's stuff that even if someone doesn't like jazz, they could handle and chill to it. The list's people put up are great places to start too, but Mingus and Monk and the like may be a bit weird at first. Wag's sax list is really good too.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Louis Jordan. Not only was he a great composer, but an excellent sax player as well.