rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
CompGeeks cheap motherboard deal

Iwill K7S3-N SiS748+963L ATX Motherboard

On Sale for

$35.70

comes with a 1 year warranty

THE MOTHER OF ALL MOTHERBOARDS! This Iwill K7S3 socket A motherboard is an excellent product with all the necessary features for contemporary computing applications. Based on the SiS748 and 963L chipset, the Iwill K7S3-N motherboard supports AMD Athlon XP processors from 1400+ to 3000+, AMD Athlon processors from 700 MHz to 1.4 MHz, and AMD Duron processors from 600 MHz to 1.3 GHz. Audio is provided by the Realtek ALC650 chipset. Expansion is provided by one AGP 4x/8x slot, five PCI slots and three 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets. BE SMART...BUY IT NOW

rhacquer

Dec 9, 2002
Meh--takes Durons only up to 1.4 GHz? I got one of those packages from Fry's with a Duron 1.6 GHz and an ECS mobo; wouldn't mind upgrading the mobo, otherwise.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Darn, can't keep anything away from ATers...
. I seriously doubt that it can't support the Durons as high (is it 1800 now) as they go. The Jan. '04 BIOS (on the Iwill global site - http://www.iwill.net ) should have fixed any detection issues. And it looks like they might have put back the P4 connector - if so, I wouldn't hesitate.
.bh.

I just read some troubling info in a review. The CPU temp sensor isn't located under the CPU. It is right next to the case temp sensor but connected to a different resistor such that it consistently reads 15 deg higher than the system temp sensor!!! Mighty troubling...

:Q

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Zepper
I just read some troubling info in a review. The CPU temp sensor isn't located under the CPU. It is right next to the case temp sensor but connected to a different resistor such that it consistently reads 15 deg higher than the system temp sensor!!! Mighty troubling...
:Q

Interesting. 15C above case ambient is probably about right though, for most Athlon XP CPUs. Are you sure that the CPU temp sensor was just being completely faked? Or possibly, it was wired via a different reference resistor, to the CPU's own internal thermal diode? I would expect that most newer Socket-A boards would go that route. In fact, I would much prefer a board that used the CPU's on-die temp sensor, than one that was physically located under the CPU socket, as the on-die sensor should be much more accurate.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
That's according to a review I found using google. According to the review, both sensors are right near each other between the 3rd and 4th PCI slots. I'm looking for some verification on it as some other K7S3s are available for under $50.
.bh.