Ivy bridge too hot at idle?

increment1

May 3, 2012
Finally got around to assembling my 3770k system, and notice the CPU seems to be running too hot while idle (while sitting in the bios).

I am seeing temps of ~47c on average, with jumps up to 51c, and this is strictly in the bios (have not installed an OS yet).

The temperatures seem independent of the CPU fan speed (stay the same whether at 600 or 1800rpm).

Heatsink is a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, and the TIM is MX4.

I am going to try with the stock heatsink to see if the results are similar. Could this just be a bad CPU, or would a poorly attached heatsink (too little / too much thermal compound) account for such a high idle temperature (immediately from boot).

When installing the CPU I noticed that the top part of it was slightly scuffed near the edges, at the time I assumed that might just be normal, but now I am not so sure.

CPU is at stock settings.

Last edited:

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Don't trust BIOS

An older P67 I built for a friend reported 45C idle temperatures, when real temp was 30

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Finally got around to assembling my 3770k system, and notice the CPU seems to be running too hot while idle (while sitting in the bios).

I am seeing temps of ~47c on average, with jumps up to 51c, and this is strictly in the bios (have not installed an OS yet).

The temperatures seem independent of the CPU fan speed (stay the same whether at 600 or 1800rpm).

Heatsink is a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, and the TIM is MX4.

I am going to try with the stock heatsink to see if the results are similar. Could this just be a bad CPU, or would a poorly attached heatsink (too little / too much thermal compound) account for such a high idle temperature (immediately from boot).

When installing the CPU I noticed that the top part of it was slightly scuffed near the edges, at the time I assumed that might just be normal, but now I am not so sure.

CPU is at stock settings.

What are suppose to be the normal idle temps?

It could be a combination of too much/little thermal compound and heatsink attached... I found that out yesterday when BSOD shut down due to high temps during idle...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"Idle" inside Windows, is different than "idle" in BIOS. In BIOS, there is no power-management driver, so it actually runs at some load setting. In Windows, it idles at lower power.

increment1

May 3, 2012
Don't trust BIOS

An older P67 I built for a friend reported 45C idle temperatures, when real temp was 30

Interesting. How did you measure the real temp?

"Idle" inside Windows, is different than "idle" in BIOS. In BIOS, there is no power-management driver, so it actually runs at some load setting. In Windows, it idles at lower power.

I never knew that, but would that account for what seems to be an extra 20C (idle temp should be around 30C (at least according to some forum postings around the net) or am I misinformed?).

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
...... I never knew that, but would that account for what seems to be an extra 20C (idle temp should be around 30C (at least according to some forum postings around the net) or am I misinformed?).

Temps have always been higher while fiddling in the bios with cpus that can throttle speeds/voltages. Whats your room temp?

increment1

May 3, 2012
Temps have always been higher while fiddling in the bios with cpus that can throttle speeds/voltages. Whats your room temp?

I'm guessing ~22 at the time of the test.

Motherboard reports its temperature / inside case temperature at 27 - 30. I am not sure exactly where this temperature is read from (MSI Z77-GD65 mobo).

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
BIOS basicly never measure the temp correctly. It almost always uses an outside sensor+alot of guesswork.

Idle modes depends. Mine idles at 40C or something. Is it much? No. The fanspeed is very low as well.

Try use coretemp or realtemp and tell us what it says when you just idle in Windows.

Also CPUs dont actually idle in BIOS. So measureing it from the BIOS screen is bad.

Last edited:

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
The BIOS measurement is not valid for normal measurements, never has been for any platform I've used. Stick with measurements in Windows and make sure your motherboard has the correct BIOS for the CPU generation. Check other threads for the recommended software for temp monitoring.

increment1

May 3, 2012
Thanks for the tips about the BIOS temperatures being off!

Installed windows last night, and non-calibrated realtemp was reporting an idle temp high of 41.

After 10 minutes of Prime95, was seeing a temp of 71. Did not have time last night to run longer or to calibrate (how important is calibration?).

These temps seem a bit on the warm side to try for any type of OC (was hoping to go to 4.2 across all cores while keeping a low fan speed).

Also, speaking of fan speed, I find the fan on the Coolermaster 212 Evo too noisy (even at low rpm), think I am going to replace the fan (or should I just replace the whole heatsink combo?).

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I just finished putting together a 3770k and 212 Evo combo on a Gigabyte z77 mobo. In bios I was showing 28 degree c for CPU, but in core temp detail it showed 35, 38, 44 42 across the four cores, quite a difference between cores. I hpe the two hot cores don't hold me back. I haven't tried third party temp apps in windows yet, but I do know that I get blue screens at 4.4ghz when booting into windows. OOPS, forgot to mention that the readings I gave were idling in bios at 4.4 stock voltage and everthing else at default values.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I just finished putting together a 3770k and 212 Evo combo on a Gigabyte z77 mobo. In bios I was showing 28 degree c for CPU, but in core temp detail it showed 35, 38, 44 42 across the four cores, quite a difference between cores. I hpe the two hot cores don't hold me back. I haven't tried third party temp apps in windows yet, but I do know that I get blue screens at 4.4ghz when booting into windows. OOPS, forgot to mention that the readings I gave were idling in bios at 4.4 stock voltage and everthing else at default values.

Core 0 is the one nearest the GPU, so if you aren't using the GPU, it is generating no heat and acts as a heat sink for that core and keeps the temps the lowest on that core.

increment1

May 3, 2012
Used the OC genie feature of the MSI board to OC my build to 4.2 ghz last night (cannot remember the exact voltage it chose, but it was 1.1 something).

After 10 minutes in prime95 I was seeing some cores hit 82c. Seems too hot to leave it OCed. Turning it back down to just 3.9 stock but with extended turbo (all cores at 3.9), yielded similar thermals.

Is 82c too hot? Considering the video card was not being stressed, and the room was 20-22, it does not leave a lot of headroom. I think when it gets hot in the summer (30), and the video card is stressed, inside the case could rise 15-20c above what it is now, putting the CPU right at max.

So much for OCing this build, going to go back to stock without extended turbo. Quite disappointed that stock speed and voltage is hitting 70+.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
Used the OC genie feature of the MSI board to OC my build to 4.2 ghz last night (cannot remember the exact voltage it chose, but it was 1.1 something).

After 10 minutes in prime95 I was seeing some cores hit 82c. Seems too hot to leave it OCed. Turning it back down to just 3.9 stock but with extended turbo (all cores at 3.9), yielded similar thermals.

Is 82c too hot? Considering the video card was not being stressed, and the room was 20-22, it does not leave a lot of headroom. I think when it gets hot in the summer (30), and the video card is stressed, inside the case could rise 15-20c above what it is now, putting the CPU right at max.

So much for OCing this build, going to go back to stock without extended turbo. Quite disappointed that stock speed and voltage is hitting 70+.

My 3770K idles around 29-30c on all cores (ambient air temp 23ish). Only did a quick 5min LinX test and hit around 70c on stock with Asus' ratio boost (all 4 cores turbo to 3.8 I believe).

Ran the Asus OC tool in Windows (extreme mode) and it settled on 4.5GHz (45 x 100) with voltage 1.275v but appeared to have positive LLC so it was hitting 1.31ish at max load. 15min of LinX pushed temps to 85-90c. Going to have to manually tune everything. I'm fine with LinX hitting 85c since I will never have a use case like (harder than Prime). Game temps peak around 50-55c (BF3). TjMax is 105c, obviously you do not want to run at max constantly.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Tjmax is 105C for IB. So 82C is very safe temp actually. And avoid increasing the voltage if you can. Voltage increase also increase heatoutput.