I've now lost use of both my legs

Coolone

Aug 18, 2001
Man this sucks. I found out recently that I've torn some cartilage inside the socket of my hip. The doctors were having a hard time finding out why that happened, but after viewing some x-rays, I've now been diagnosed with hip dysplasia (normally found in infants before it gets bad), which is a genetic condition where the hip sockets are not deep enough to hold the femur in one firm spot.

So the treatment is as follows: Prescription anti-inflammatory meds plus physical therapy, and then see how things go. If things go badly, then I'll need surgery where they cut me open, dislocate my hip, repair the damage, re-attach my femur, and then sow me up again.

I was doing cardio exercise every day until this happened, and since I cant really use the one leg, its hard to use just the other, so are there any cardio workouts I can do that don't involve the legs?

Cliffs:
Hips are screwed because of genetics
Can't do cardio involving legs ATM
What now?

EDIT: The pain doesn't normally come from pressure on the joint weight wise (including impact), its more of a range-of-motion issue

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
swimming?

i got a recurring problem in my left knee too and might have to move to swimming

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Maybe punching a speed bag or quickly jabbing a heavy bag? I found that when I was bag training in karate you could definitely get that heart rate up if you went quickly enough.

slimrhcp

Jul 20, 2005
Sorry to hear that man. Hip pain can be pretty bad. I'd suggest getting on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM as soon as possible for the inflammation. I know I'll get flamed for this, but talk to your doc about the possibility of going on HGH for a short time post op (if you have to go that route). It will really speed your recovery time. GL

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
You normally only see them at physical therapy clinics, but they make hand bikes. I would rather not do cardio than work a hand bike for an hour, but the option is available.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Boxing might be ok, but depending how bad your hips actually are you might have some pain if you go for the heavy bag. When hitting a heavy bag you actually generate a lot of your torque and power from your hips and legs. You could probably go for a speed bag. Even shadow boxing would get your heart going though.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: ric1287
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
I second the swimming idea.

maybe if all you do is butterfly or whatever its called.

Lol that would be one of the worst. He won't really be able to do any true stroke, freestyle no legs is your best bet for swimming OP.

<-American Red Cross WSI 6+ years

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
What type of cardio have you been doing? I've found cycling to be very low impact and easy on my joints so long as I'm not hammering away or doing hill workouts.

Good luck with your therapy man. Keep us posted.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: TheNinja
Boxing might be ok, but depending how bad your hips actually are you might have some pain if you go for the heavy bag. When hitting a heavy bag you actually generate a lot of your torque and power from your hips and legs. You could probably go for a speed bag. Even shadow boxing would get your heart going though.

QFT

Coolone

Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: kindest
is there a type of rowing which is super low impact on the lower region?

As well as not being able to do high impact (running) sports, range-of-motion is also a huge factor. If I use the rowing machine, the joint cracks and pops and then I'm in excruciating pain