I've never been a huge fan of linkin park

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: HonkeyDonk
linkin park is awesome. I'm friends w/ a cousin of LP's DJ.
Dude no way! I dated a girl that went out with a guy before me that knows the tour manager!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
sorry to thread crap, but this band can not even spell Lincoln correctly (or are they forgetting that these is a g at the end of linking?), let alone write music or play it.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
sorry to thread crap, but this band can not even spell Lincoln correctly (or are they forgetting that these is a g at the end of linking?), let alone write music or play it.
Its image. Korn knows how to spell Corn, but that just doesn't look cool.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

Your dumb. :D

There is a "Linkin Park" apartment complex down the road from me, and it's spelled Linkin.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
I cant even imagine how bad they suck live. I wonder if they could be worse than evanessence. Wait thats not possible.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: JDub02
Originally posted by: chrisms
Linkin Park is the most simple-minded "rock music" (I use the term very lighty here) to come out in quite a while. It is pure crap, and combines some of the worst elements of pop rock.

For example, let's quote some of their lyrics:
"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

These lyrics are screamed in a high pitched whiny voice over and over throughout the song. Its not like they can fall back on good lyrics to make up for their poor vocal skills, because they suck as well. Linkin Park is what they call "fist shaking" music.. along with Nickleback, Fuel, Staind, etc.

Sorry I had to go on about this, but around my area I've only met two very ugly girls who said they liked Linkin Park. The rest of people hate them.

Why does music have to have "deep" lyrics? I like LP. Catchy driving music. If I want good lyrics, I'll listen to country.

Good and country is an oxymoron

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: amcdonald
Linkin Park is the most simple-minded "rock music" (I use the term very lighty here) to come out in quite a while. It is pure crap, and combines some of the worst elements of pop rock.

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

These lyrics are screamed in a high pitched whiny voice over and over throughout the song. Its not like they can fall back on good lyrics to make up for their poor vocal skills, because they suck as well. Linkin Park is what they call "fist shaking" music.. along with Nickleback, Fuel, Staind, etc.

Sorry I had to go on about this, but around my area I've only met two very ugly girls who said they liked Linkin Park. The rest of people hate them.
You are naive. Linkin Park's style/music is exactly what major labels are asking for right now. Its the labels that have encouraged generic and vague lyrics... not the other way around. No one wants to hear Eddie Vedder ramble about God knows what anymore. They want something that is universal.
The next time you produce a band's debut CD and it sells 11 million copies, then I'll take your opion more seriously, but the 14-year-old girls and boys who buy CDs disagree with you.
I want to hear Eddie Vedder ramble about God knows what...:eek:

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

Staind is worlds above Nickleback, Fuel and LP.

Agreed. Nickleback is currently #1 on my music sh!tlist.

Stupid Canadians.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I love Linkin park...not afraid to admit it.

You should also check out their remix album, Reanimation. Some REALLY good stuff on there.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

You are naive. Linkin Park's style/music is exactly what major labels are asking for right now. Its the labels that have encouraged generic and vague lyrics... not the other way around. No one wants to hear Eddie Vedder ramble about God knows what anymore. They want something that is universal.
The next time you produce a band's debut CD and it sells 11 million copies, then I'll take your opion more seriously, but the 14-year-old girls and boys who buy CDs disagree with you.
That means you are old. :D

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Linkin Park never "sold out"...they've always been popular and were making the same kind of music years before they got big.
rolleye.gif

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah some of the lyrics are pretty lame and generic, but like said, it's good music for driving, partying, etc... That's good enough for me to listen to sometimes.

Have yous ever even heard some of their older stuff? I think theres some really good lyrics in their rap-like songs. I like High Voltage the best, but Step and Up and that other flute type one from Meteora are good too, and a little different style than most of their other music.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

That means you are old. :D
If 26 is old, then I guess I'm old. :)

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BillGates

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

Staind is worlds above Nickleback, Fuel and LP.

Agreed. Nickleback is currently #1 on my music sh!tlist.

Stupid Canadians.

you're the dumbass americans that can't even spell nickelback.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

What "major labels are asking for right now" does not equal good music. Major labels also signed Milli Vanilli, Limp Bizkit, and Insane Clown Posse... but that does not mean they make good music. It only means that the simplistic garbage these "artists" throw onto records is likely to sell. It only sells because the labels feed this crap to the radio stations to play nonstop, and for some people this becomes the only music they know of and they go out and buy it.

I will not argue that Linkin Park is a bad band commericially. Obviously, they are fantastic. But musically, they are not talented. The band is right up there with Justin Timberlake, Nickleback, Train, etc. in the realm of pop music.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
You know, i'm not even sure what the major labels are asking for anymore. I live in the dorms, so we're provided with College Music TV. You can't believe the crap that they play, namely "rap." All the junk that's playing is making me think that the major labels aren't asking for much, they're signing whoever they can find. And what's up with that girl that did a cover of the White Stripes?

I cant even imagine how bad they suck live. I wonder if they could be worse than evanessence. Wait thats not possible.

They're very good live actually. I went to the L.A. concert the day before Chester (i think it was chester) got sick, and i didn't notice much of a difference. The only thing was that he didn't do his supplementary screaming as much :p

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I liked them when they first came out. But after a few months, all of their songs started to sound the same and now, every album sounds exactly the same. They're soo produced and they are the definition of pop.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

"when I tried
so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter"

What "major labels are asking for right now" does not equal good music. Major labels also signed Milli Vanilli, Limp Bizkit, and Insane Clown Posse... but that does not mean they make good music. It only means that the simplistic garbage these "artists" throw onto records is likely to sell. It only sells because the labels feed this crap to the radio stations to play nonstop, and for some people this becomes the only music they know of and they go out and buy it.

I will not argue that Linkin Park is a bad band commericially. Obviously, they are fantastic. But musically, they are not talented. The band is right up there with Justin Timberlake, Nickleback, Train, etc. in the realm of pop music.
You really don't think they are talented as individual musicians?
The music they write may not be technically impressive, but playing a tight live show night after night is not easy.
And for the record, Justin Timberlake is technically a very good singer...