I've gone to the "dark" side of soundcards....

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Just bought a PCI-E Creative Sound Blaster Zx off of Amazon.

Price was only $95.

I haven't had a Creative soundcard since my old Audigy SE many years ago.

Have the drivers improved over the years?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
While not the same card, I've been using a Creative AE-5 with Windows 10 for a few years, and I've never had an issue with the various Windows updates.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Got my new Sound Blaster Zx installed last night...and things sound so much better than my Realtek integrated audio.

(I know,it might seem obvious about the better sound,but I hadn't had a real sound card for a long time.)

Checking back thru my Newegg order history, I bought my Audigy ES in Nov.2004..so it's been close to 15 years since I had a Creative sound card.

I've got my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones hooked up to the new Sound Blaster Zx.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've really enjoyed my Creative card as well compared to what was on my previous Gigabyte board (and my current Asrock Z270 Taichi). The audio wasn't bad by any means, but I listen to a lot of music with my headphones and PC speakers, so I noticed the difference.

I currently have an Asus ROG Strix X470-F motherboard on the way, which is supposed to have really great onboard audio, so I'll have to see how it compares.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I have a Z installed in the computer that controls my audio setup. I needed something with digital in and out. Can't say I've had any issues with it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've played around with the onboard audio of my new board for a few days now, and it still does not compete with my Creative AE-5 sound card. It's good, but I can just notice differences in overall the sound when listening to my music (especially with headphones). I guess I will be putting the card back into service again.

Edit:

I kept using the onboard audio until this evening (Aug 16th), seeing if I get used to it / like it, but after listening to music all week using my speakers and headphones, I finally pulled the PC out and put the Creative card back in. I just like it so much better (especially when using my headphones).

Last edited:
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Well, to add my own personal experience to the mix...

I've been using Creative cards since I got a nice deal on the the Soundblaster Live! Platinum with a break-out box. That was last century - 1999!

I used that card for about 7 or 8 years, then moved to the X-Fi model (once again, the model with a break-out box).

I am still using that card in my audio-video production PC.

So yes, aside form the occasional headaches about drivers (it took Creative a long, painful time to come up with proper Win7 drivers!), their card are rock-solid, in my view.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I stop using Creative because their win 7 drivers sucked. Has that changed with Win10?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I stop using Creative because their win 7 drivers sucked. Has that changed with Win10?

If you're asking me, the answer is "no idea".
I don't run Windows 10 on my desktops, I hate the damned thing.
Windows 7 support, at this point, is rock solid, though.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

I haven't had any problem with Creative's drivers for my AE-5 card since I've owned it (I think around 18 months or so now).

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I had a Zx for about 5 years and was happy with it. But now we have better options and they do not necessarily involve sound cards. Cant speak for the headphones crowd, but if anyone is serious about good surround sound (5.1, 7.1 channel setups), then AV receivers are the way to go. I have full bandwidth surround from my GPU (HDMI) plugged into my AV receiver. Far better sound than my Zx, and no more Creative drivers to deal with. No going back to sound cards for me.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I had a Zx for about 5 years and was happy with it. But now we have better options and they do not necessarily involve sound cards. Cant speak for the headphones crowd, but if anyone is serious about good surround sound (5.1, 7.1 channel setups), then AV receivers are the way to go. I have full bandwidth surround from my GPU (HDMI) plugged into my AV receiver. Far better sound than my Zx, and no more Creative drivers to deal with. No going back to sound cards for me.
That is just absurd and overkill. The AV receivers are big and bulky, but to each his own. I have the hearing sensitivity of blind person. The Creative cards and some of the turtle beach offerings were for sound engineers or audio video editors mostly. The sound was always superior to on board integrated audio until maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I am not bashing soundblaster cards, they have an audience and a purpose. The integrated audio has greatly improved. That is not to say that it equals audio cards. The price of admission $90 is not worth it to most people.

My current old (Z77) motherboard has not so great audio. My Ryzen build has much better integrated audio. If the Creative audio cards were $20-30, I think they would have a much larger audience.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
That is just absurd and overkill. The AV receivers are big and bulky, but to each his own. I have the hearing sensitivity of blind person. The Creative cards and some of the turtle beach offerings were for sound engineers or audio video editors mostly. The sound was always superior to on board integrated audio until maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I am not bashing soundblaster cards, they have an audience and a purpose. The integrated audio has greatly improved. That is not to say that it equals audio cards. The price of admission $90 is not worth it to most people.
Audio depends on ones needs and requirements, even in PC systems. I have bookshelf speakers flanking a 40" 4k screen, a big sub and 2 bookshelf speakers for surround. You NEED proper amplification (or AV receiver) to drive such a system, and I have the space. I prefer a BIG sound to complement my large screen. Nothing more immersive than a thunderous train rolling by or explosions that can rock my chair. I cannot stand the small tinny sound from computer speakers. But thats just me.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Audio depends on ones needs and requirements, even in PC systems. I have bookshelf speakers flanking a 40" 4k screen, a big sub and 2 bookshelf speakers for surround. You NEED proper amplification (or AV receiver) to drive such a system, and I have the space. I prefer a BIG sound to complement my large screen. Nothing more immersive than a thunderous train rolling by or explosions that can rock my chair. I cannot stand the small tinny sound from computer speakers. But thats just me.
I have a 43" 4k as my monitor hanging on the wall with my Logitech 5.1 sound system flanking it with the center channel right below the TV. Everybody that sees it just thinks it's a big computer monitor. The sub is pretty good. I mostly use my headphones currently Corsair (HS70 SE wireless) . My Logitech speakers are as old as my G15 LCD gaming Keyboard that is at least 10 years old. Neither have skipped a beat and the Logitech speakers are indestructible, knocked them onto the tile floor at least a dozen times.

I hope you wall mount your bookshelf speakers. I have seen some pretty impressive setups with high end bookshelf speakers flanking computers.

I am probably going to end up with an Asus ROG STRIX X470-F motherboard for my next Ryzen build. The sound on my MSI Gaming pro Carbon B350 motherboard is excellent. I think the only difference between the X370 version and the B350 is the chipset.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I refuse to use anything that iasn`t a Creative product for my sound! Always have the top of the line Card!!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So which model do you have? I might go that route with my new build.
I have the Sound BlasterX AE-5 card, and I really like it.

However, if you want top-of-the-line sound card, I noticed they just released the AE-7 and AE-9 card, with the former listed at $350. o_O
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-ae-9

I think I paid $110 for my card on sale at Newegg, and I really couldn't imagine needing more than it offers.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I have the Sound BlasterX AE-5 card, and I really like it.

However, if you want top-of-the-line sound card, I noticed they just released the AE-7 and AE-9 card, with the former listed at $350. o_O
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-ae-9

I think I paid $110 for my card on sale at Newegg, and I really couldn't imagine needing more than it offers.
Thanks for the info! I think I'll give the AE-7 a try. Not that I was going to get it, but the AE-9 is out of stock. That's crazy to me, but it must be good.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've had the AE-7 for a week now, and I must say I'm impressed. It's like I bought new speakers. Now I must try my headphones.

Reactions: UsandThem

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
I've had the AE-7 for a week now, and I must say I'm impressed. It's like I bought new speakers. Now I must try my headphones.

What motherboard are you using that with?
I ask because my old SB1270 is not compatible with Asus x470 Hero and I re4ally need a card
thanks

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
What motherboard are you using that with?
I ask because my old SB1270 is not compatible with Asus x470 Hero and I re4ally need a card
thanks
I'm using an X570 motherboard, the Taichi from Asrock.
Looking at what I think is your motherboard, why is the SB1270 not compatible? Is this your board?

This is your soundcard?

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
Yep, thats it. I have no idea why not but Asus themselves said not, referred me to their Qualified vendors list blahblahblah.
It works everywhere but on this board.

zooey22

Sep 22, 2019
Lol, nothing, doesn't show up in bios or device damager. But it will if I put it in the spouses computer.