I've done it now....need help with T-bird Please!!!

travisio

Oct 13, 2000
Misinterpreted instructions for placement of heatsink/fan on processor. The instructions were for a bunch of different types of heatsinks/processors (mine included) but all jumbled together. Anyways I took the rubber pads off my processor to put it on and I think I wasn't supposed to. My t-bird is idoling at 36 celsius but during high res game play after about 20-30 minutes my whole computer locks up. The worst part is I lost those pads. Any idea how I could get some more? Or make a substitution? If you can think of something how would I go about pasting them on? You think the reason all the games I have that lock up during game play is because of CPU overheat? Any help would be appreciated.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Don't worry about the pads, they are there to stabilize the hsf during installation. Check that your hsf is stting flat against the surface of the cpu core. If it isn't thats your problem. If you can't get the hsf flat, you could get the copper spacer which will help it out. I don't recommend spacers but in your case it could help.

ErikS

Oct 12, 1999
Relax, don't worry. As was stated the rubber pads are for keeping the HSF staright while you put it on. If you got it on w/o cracking the core - good job! I see you have the KT-7, you can use the VIS harware monitoring software to get a rough idea of your CPU temp. If you are above 50c then it might be heat causing the crash.

travisio

Oct 13, 2000
My computer hits a little above 50 celsius I think between 50-55 but I was playing counterstrike today and had winamp going and it froze up but the mp3 kept playing. I couldn't ctr-alt-del or anything had to reset from switch. My computer does it in the sims, and SoF.

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
If you are experiencing lockups during games, you may also want to check if you have the latest drivers for your SB Live. Hopefully some fresh software will solve your problem.

If that works, then you needn't worry about your CPU, since apparently you managed to get it on without killing your CPU. If you do plan on remounting it though, get a copper spacer, since you don't wnat to destroy your TBird.

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Don't worry about the rubber pads, they are there for stabilizing the heatsink when you first clip it on. They don't affect the cooling process. From reading your info, its definately a heat problem. My current system on full load only reaches a high of 51 at tops, and I'm overclocking as well. Your 900 is definately heating up and causing the crashing. The retail heatsink that comes with the Tbird is very pathetic, I was not able to even run my system at 850mhz with it stable on Full load. Get a better Socket A fan ie; Taisol, Alpha, Chrome Orb etc.

rmblam

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
I've had my Duron going at 54C+ just fine as many others have at some point.

Sure, maybe get the temp down, but I'd first look at your Vid card drivers, your FSB settings, IRQ sharing, Bios settings, and SB Live issues as mentioned.

travisio

Oct 13, 2000
Thanks for all the help and responses. I think I am going to remount it just to be safe. Where can I get some of those copper spacers? Also I think the thermal paste I am using is crap...where can I get that arctic silver from?

Skooch

Banned
Jan 21, 2000
Im not sure which H/S fan the T-bird 850 comes with, but my retail 900 T-bird came with a Taisol 34092 which works good.

ErikS

Oct 12, 1999
Be careful with those copper spacers. I damn near killed my duron with the thing. You have to isolate the resistors on the surface of the chip (package actually). I used the stuff that came with the spacer & was very careful. I popped the chip in the MB & got nothing. I removed the chip, cleaned it off, popped it back in, remounted the HSF & it worked I was lucky. (as a note, my system building goes back to changing crystals on 80286 MB's to O/C which doesn't mean I'm smart, just I'm usually pretty careful).

I think it's a lot harder to break the chip than some would have you believe. Check out JonnyGuru's site for details, it's down at the bottom of the page under "Socket A Mishaps" JonnyGuru

That being said, I have one I sure don't want (the nice one from Japan) I'll sell ya for $10, send me an e-mail. (yeah, I know, wrong forum, I'm just trying to help him out)