I've been using Mozilla Firebird for some time now.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Maleficus
It's a nice alternative but something major would have to happen to make me change, IE works fine and Mozilla doesnt offer me anything substantial (for my purpose).

Glad you like it :p I know i went a lil on the wayside there.
No outlook for email. That's the most substantial thing it offers that make it worth using.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
mozillafirebird owns :) too bad they had to change the name from phoenix... that was so much more poetic

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Originally posted by: Maleficus
It's a nice alternative but something major would have to happen to make me change, IE works fine and Mozilla doesnt offer me anything substantial (for my purpose).

Glad you like it :p I know i went a lil on the wayside there.
No outlook for email. That's the most substantial thing it offers that make it worth using.

Outlook has been working fine for me for 4 years. :p

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
thunderbird for email, it does IMAP good....

firebird is better and will be the next mozilla

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
love the tabs, the gestures need work though. it kept messing up sh*t when i'd scroll pages by selecting text. hate that. opera didn't do that.

and the crashing isn't so kewl either. but i use it 50% of the time now.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
love the tabs, the gestures need work though. it kept messing up sh*t when i'd scroll pages by selecting text. hate that. opera didn't do that.

and the crashing isn't so kewl either. but i use it 50% of the time now.

You can adjust the maximum amount of time that you are holding the left mouse button before it disables mouse gestures. My time limit is 500 ms, and I never have a problem selecting text.

peterskm

Jan 24, 2002
I love the keywords in Mozilla and Firebird. Also, the built in popup blocking is cool. Mainly, it is nice to code with as it is standards compliant.

Thunderbird still has a ways to go before I will replace Outlook Express.

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
FireBird is awesome. I use old CAD systems a lot and they have strokes so FireBird is a hit in my office. Not to mention fast and no installation or uninstall program to worry about either.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
I love the tabs,no pop-ups and keywords. I hate the fact that it is not compatible with some forms (bestbuy search) and that the autocomplete sometimes makes it crash.

I use it 99%.

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Winchester
I love the tabs,no pop-ups and keywords. I hate the fact that it is not compatible with some forms (bestbuy search) and that the autocomplete sometimes makes it crash.

I use it 99%.

Ditto.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
I still don't get how gestures work.

Left click, then...

1) drag left and let go = back
2) drag right and let go = forwards
3) drag up and let go = new tab
4) drag down and let go = new window.

You have to do this quickly though.

Zombie

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: OulOat
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
I still don't get how gestures work.

Left click, then...

1) drag left and let go = back
2) drag right and let go = forwards
3) drag up and let go = new tab
4) drag down and let go = new window.

You have to do this quickly though.

If you are using Mouse Gestures extension you might also have to modify

->>>>Cancel gesture after _______ milliseconds without move

It's under Additional settings tab.

It will take time to get used to it but its pretty cool once you get the hang of it. You might wanna try the rocker function aswell. This lets you switch between different tabs without having to click on them.

Huma

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
anyone know how to make firebird recognize and save rars to disk? I was able to get moz to do this, but firebird doesn't seem to have the same feature.

I also liked how moz handled bookmarks in my personal toolbar a little better. but it's a minor issue.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Firebird seems to work well on my new computer. On my old one, it ran like ass.

Is there anyway to drag the toolbars around? On IE, I have everything on one toolbar and I like the way it looks. With Firebird, I can't seem to do it.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Does pausing/resuming downloads work for you guys? Every time I try to resume a dl it just goes to 100% downloaded. I've only tried it with some .mpgs though.

Edit: Hmm, I just realized maybe the site has to support resuming? :\

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Been using firebird for a few months here. Totally awesome. Still havn't installed Flash - and I don't think I will. Kinda sucks that you still hafta use IE for some things (Mostly Microsoft related - windowsupdate, online support, etc.)

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Still a few things wrong with Firebird.

1. bookmarks crash and you lose them all. Happened to me 3 times and plenty of other people too.
2. Layout problem as demonstrated here: http://www.pbase.com/image/21593918
2a. Notice the title below the picture is not centered. Check it out in IE then compare in Firebird.
3. Menu rollovers do not work like on www.dpreview.com
3a Move your mouse over the left nav and notice nothing pops up.