Question It's the Upgrade From Hell.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I've been working on this for about two days now. It's an HP laptop G series, trying to upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate edition to Windows 8.1.

I've tried from both DVD, and flash drive. Everything seems to go through, right up until the upgrade option. Then it wants to run a compatibility check, and keeps delivering this error.

Windows won't install unless each of these things is taken care of. Close Windows Setup, take care of each one, and then restart Windows Setup to continue.

Make these changes:
Uninstall these applications. Open Control Panel and search for "uninstall a program."
Broadcom Bluetooth Software

The software doesn't exist! It's not in add/remove programs, the laptop doesn't even have Bluetooth capability, and I've gone through the registry and deleted every reference to Broadcom anything.

Is there any way to bypass or skip the compatibility check for upgrades?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I've been working on this for about two days now. It's an HP laptop G series, trying to upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate edition to Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1? Any particular reason?

Even in rough unfinished 1507-form 10 was better then 8.1 ever has been. Have you considered jumping straight to 10? 1909 is actually a very good (for Windows at least) OS.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I agree, not sure why trying to install Win8.1, at this date.

Tried the SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NON_PRESENT_DEVICES=1

Do a web search, it should show instructions on how to un-install "Ghosted" devices, and their associated drivers.

There may have been, at once time, a Broadcom BT dongle inserted into that PC, and it may have loaded drivers for it into the system.

Last edited:

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Windows 8.1? Any particular reason?

Even in rough unfinished 1507-form 10 was better then 8.1 ever has been. Have you considered jumping straight to 10? 1909 is actually a very good (for Windows at least) OS.
They run an XP .. emulator?

Previous versions wouldn't work under Windows 10, and they just wanted to meet the minimum system req. for this year's Turbotax, but I just found a working version of it for Windows 10. I'll have to call them now.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Yeah my old Q9650 775 asus P5Q had no problems with windows 10. Seemed to run better with windows 10 vs 8.1.
No benchmarks just felt speedier.

Upgrade to 7 from 10 going through just fine. Wasn't sure I could jump over an OS.

Remember? You had to install Vista just for it to be there and then upgrade to 7 from XP if you wanted to save settings and files.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Previous versions wouldn't work under Windows 10, and they just wanted to meet the minimum system req. for this year's Turbotax, but I just found a working version of it for Windows 10. I'll have to call them now.

Ah. I see.

Thanks. I think I might have another problem though. If the BIOS doesn't support UEFI, will Windows 10 still run on it?

Iron Woode already answered, but 10 can do both MBR and GPT boot just fine.

Upgrade to 7 from 10 going through just fine. Wasn't sure I could jump over an OS.

Remember? You had to install Vista just for it to be there and then upgrade to 7 from XP if you wanted to save settings and files.

Remember. But then 7 was more like Vista SP3, then a completely new version. Vista wasn't actually that bad in SP2 form already. Even got DX11 eventually.

Saw a guy update a VM all the way from Windows 1.0 to 10 once. But also seen 7 to 10 updates go bad occasionally. So YMMV.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Ah. I see.

Iron Woode already answered, but 10 can do both MBR and GPT boot just fine.

Remember. But then 7 was more like Vista SP3, then a completely new version. Vista wasn't actually that bad in SP2 form already. Even got DX11 eventually.

Saw a guy update a VM all the way from Windows 1.0 to 10 once. But also seen 7 to 10 updates go bad occasionally. So YMMV.

Upgrade complete. Lost DVDFab, and Norton Internet Security. tried to reinstall, and got "This app won't run under Windows 10" WTF? App? It thinks I turned the computer into a phone. :mad:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Upgrade complete. Lost DVDFab, and Norton Internet Security. tried to reinstall, and got "This app won't run under Windows 10" WTF? App? It thinks I turned the computer into a phone. :mad:

DVDFab should run fine, but maybe it was an older version? Norton is probably an older non-10 compatible version, but you don't really -need- Norton (or any other 3rd party AV) any more. Windows 10 has it's own built-in Defender, which is fine for private use. I would recommend adding an adblocker (I find uBlock Origin to work best, with least hassle) to whichever browser you're installing. It makes the internet so much more bearable. Add HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger too if you care about it.

Reactions: Viper1j

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
It thinks I turned the computer into a phone.

My biggest complaint about W10. I just made the first transition from W7 to W10 on my work desktop... I really, really don't care for it, although I understand it's a better OS under the hood. I just wished they would have made a 'mobile' version, and a 'PC' version, it probably would have cut the size of the OS by 20% I'm running Classic Shell... or as Woode mentioned... Open Shell, even.

Reactions: Scarpozzi