It's that time of the year again. Celebrate Banned Books Week.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
The more they burn them the more they'll drive people's interest to read them. In a roundabout ignorant way, they're doing us a favor. Ha! :)

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
There's actually banned books?

"Deutchland, deutchland uber alles!"

...Wait a tick, notice how Mein Kamfp wasn't on that list. Which is more dangerous, Mein Kamfp or HARRY FVCKING POTTER?!?

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Of Mice and Men and Catcher in the Rye are two commonly banned books, though, having read them I can't see why.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
I'm all for freedom of speach and the right to read whatever you feel like.

:thumbsdown: for the troll trying to link this to neo-cons.

Hecubus2000

Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm

Here's an interesting list:
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/37480/a-long-shelf-life

Yes, when the neo-cons have their way there will be no more of the nasty Harry Potter in our libraries.

the answer
("Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings." (German: "Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen.")?Heinrich Heine, from his play Almansor (1821)

Since you are bringing up Neo Cons you might as well mention the PC loving LIBERALS that also contribute heavily to the book banning movement.

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
Best is when Barnes and Noble set up a nice pretty table with all the banned books on it.

I hope we get a brochure this year with a list of where they are banned. That would rule to hand out.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Hecubus2000

Yes, when the neo-cons have their way there will be no more of the nasty Harry Potter in our libraries.

the answer
("Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings." (German: "Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen.")?Heinrich Heine, from his play Almansor (1821)

Since you are bringing up Neo Cons you might as well mention the PC loving LIBERALS that also contribute heavily to the book banning movement.

bingo. Irony 101.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: fitzov
Of Mice and Men and Catcher in the Rye are two commonly banned books, though, having read them I can't see why.

Of mice and men is banned? In my highschool it was mandatory 10th grade reading.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

Of mice and men is banned? In my highschool it was mandatory 10th grade reading.

Most of the banned list is required reading in most High Schools: Animal Farm, Flowers for Algernon, Brave New World, etc etc etc.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: judasmachine

Most of the banned list is required reading in most High Schools: Animal Farm, Flowers for Algernon, Brave New World, etc etc etc.

They are required in school for the same reason people want to ban them...they make you think.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: TheBDB
Originally posted by: judasmachine

They are required in school for the same reason people want to ban them...they make you think.

Ding ding ding! Winner!

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I have always thought that the only people that object to books are the ones whose own beliefs and agendas are to fragile to stand up to any other ideas.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: wetech
:thumbsdown: for the troll trying to link this to neo-cons.

I know many neo-cons that read Harry Potter books. My best friend is about as right-wing as you can get and he has read them all.

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006

Catcher in the Rye should be banned for being a simply terrible book with no intelligible plot.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jrenz

Catcher in the Rye should be banned for being a simply terrible book with no intelligible plot.

I hated it too.

On topic though, book banning is right up there with the most ignorant ridiculous actions people can take. I never know whether to laugh or cry when some parent starts on about banning a book, almost invariably because it offends their religious sensibilities. I say this because there aren't too many people complaining anymore about books that have uppity women who won't stay in the kitchen.

Hint: if your kid's faith is going to be destroyed by reading a book, then it's probably going to be destroyed anyway.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

the answer

There are an equal amount of conservatives and liberals who want these books banned, to be fair. To be correct, there are probably more liberals who want them banned, from what I've seen.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I have no idea what the book is about, but seeing this banned:
"How to Eat Fried Worms" (Thomas Rockwell)
gave me quite the chuckle! :laugh:

Oh yeah, and watch out for that "James and the Giant Peach" book.......with a title like that, it must be dangerous!! :roll: :shocked: