It's official! I'm a father!

EULA

Aug 13, 2004
I just became the father of three, 62.6 pound babies. They're Compaq Proliant 1600 Servers, outfitted with dual 300mhz Pentium II processors, 512mb ram, and five 9.1gb SCSI hard drives.

I'm considering running them as dedicated distributed computing clients (UD), with a secondary function. However, I'm not sure what else I can do with them...

I know I've broken the golden rule of not having any pictures, but I plan to put some up Tuesday. I was just so excited...

These beasts were destined for the junkyard until I volunteered to take them under my wing. I've only two of these in my possession at the moment, the third is planned to be phased out in a month or two.

Again, pictures to follow later...

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Those are some mighty heavy babies! I bet they're cute, though. :D

How is your wife/significant other feeling after such a dramatic delivery? Did the labor go OK or did she scream at you and tell you it was all your fault and that she was going to make sure you could never do that to her again? :laugh::evil:

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
If you need some more of those 9gig drives, PM me. I believe I can get you more, at a very competitive price (shipping!). (You have the beige/purple handles drive trays, and the 1600s take 5 drives/server, right?)

EULA

Aug 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Woodie
If you need some more of those 9gig drives, PM me. I believe I can get you more, at a very competitive price (shipping!). (You have the beige/purple handles drive trays, and the 1600s take 5 drives/server, right?)

Expect a PM later... a couple drives are going bad, and I found out one of the servers only has 4.3gig drives...

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
If necessary you could probably network boot some of them off another one.

How is the mother(board?) doing? ;)

Xanth911

May 23, 2005
Ha! congrats.
I would love to have Quintuplets like that myself.. :)
But i would settle for a ATI9700 :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Nice. I'm sure they'll each make a great mail server, web server, and dns server (yes, your home network needs a separate server for each of these functions!). :D

EULA

Aug 13, 2004
I'm afraid if I set them close to each other, the floor is going to collapse! I'm waiting for a response from Woodie concerning some 9gig drives before I go setting em up...

I'm actually looking at upgrading the processors and adding some ram too... that e-harbor, or e-boatdock... that e-site has some nice prices...