Its Official: California Assembly committee OKs Marijuana legalization bill

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Anybody know the costs of growing tobacco compared the the cost of growing weed?

If I have to pay someone to smoke it (which at the moment I don't) I'd prefer it not be to some criminal cartel that kills others even if it were to cost more.

Nearly identical. Pot is a little more expensive due to being able to use less of the plant, as well as the difficulties with male/female plants, and the difficulties with getting the quality up.

Both should be less than a dollar worth of cost per "pack", when economies of scale are taken into account.

Last edited:

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
They should be comparable in cost, with tobacco probably costing a bit more because it takes longer and is harder to grow and much longer to cure. I think the reason more people don't grow their own tobacco is because of the difficulty growing it and the long curing process required. Even with cigs @ $6-7 per pack most people will buy it instead of going to the trouble, but make it $20 a pack or more and that would change drastically.

$20 for a pack of joints is DIRT CHEAP compared to what potheads are paying right now.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
That sounds good, but who's going to grow and distribute it for $20/oz? The reality is if they try and tax is much more than alcohol or cigs people will just grow their own, if the illegal status is removed the shit is just too easy to grow. Growing weed takes slightly more effort than growing tomatos, how much would you pay for a tomato from the grocery store before you say screw it and grow your own?

I'm all for a reasonable tax on MJ, but if legalization just doubles the price and sends the money to the state and local taxing cartels instead of the mexican cartels, then fuck it keep it illegal

Growing shitty, possibly seedy weed, yes.

Growing quality weed, no. Way more effort.

Plus you might have to worry about the local (underage) kids stealing your stash if you grew outside. Don't have to do that so much with tomatoes.

Also, many people can't grow tomatoes easily (apartments, rental houses with asshole landlords, townhouses, condos, neighborhoods with asshole HOA's).

Last edited:

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
I guess he isn't a hardcore stoner like you who smokes two joints before he smokes two joints and then he smokes two more and sits around all day watching cartoons ;)

$200 an ounce is too much tax but $100 seems to just right. With that tax the cost of an ounce of good weed should cost $120.

Maybe you guys were right, maybe $200 is too high.

I'd say putting the final cost on an ounce at $200 is for the best. $75 + $125 tax.

That's still HALF what the street price is now ($400), which most people willingly pay.

$200 an ounce, puts a month's supply at around $40. That's not bad. Try and do that with alcohol.

My take on it is, if it passes, and is shown to produce LOTS of revenue for the state(s), it will catch on like wildfire. If it can't, it won't. Also, the revenue would be difficult to replace, and therefore would stay in place even through the "R" times...

Plus, keeping the price (somewhat) high, will at least provide a tiny bit of motivation to be employed, which will alleviate some of the effects of the pot. ;)

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
protip: the small button with the quote and plus sign allow you to quote and respond to multiple people.

bloodugly

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2004
So long as the final price was somewhat close to street price, that'd be alright. Everyone is willing to pay a little more for convenience, especially considering the target market. Its just a matter of the product at a certain price being in relation to what the same quality costs on the streets currently.

Now where did I put my lighter......?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Maybe you guys were right, maybe $200 is too high.

I'd say putting the final cost on an ounce at $200 is for the best. $75 + $125 tax.

That's still HALF what the street price is now ($400), which most people willingly pay.

$200 an ounce, puts a month's supply at around $40. That's not bad. Try and do that with alcohol.

My take on it is, if it passes, and is shown to produce LOTS of revenue for the state(s), it will catch on like wildfire. If it can't, it won't. Also, the revenue would be difficult to replace, and therefore would stay in place even through the "R" times...

Plus, keeping the price (somewhat) high, will at least provide a tiny bit of motivation to be employed, which will alleviate some of the effects of the pot. ;)

The hell? an ounce lasts you 5 months? HOW THE FUCK? I can go through an 8th by myself in like a weekend, through my roommates and buddies into the mix we clear half an ounce in a couple days.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
You're all doing it wrong in comparing high quality pot to cigs. The tobacco in cigs is shit.

A better comparison would be to a good cigar. A good cigar (especially a cuban) could run you $20+.

Cigarettes are more like outdoor weed. Lower quality, but cheap to produce. Outdoor weed basically costs nothing to grow. Bit of fertilizer, some land, seeds, water, go. Cost is in the labor.

High-grade indoor weed, mass grown costs about $50/ounce. 100% markup from wholesale to retail is not unusual in many industries, so let's call it $100 an ounce. All remaining markup is demand >>> supply. (I know a guy who runs a warehouse in a med state).

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
$20 for a pack of joints is DIRT CHEAP compared to what potheads are paying right now.

I was talking about $20 for a pack of cigs, my point being if you triple or more the price of a comodity that can be home grown people will grow it.

Applyed to pot it would be more like if they put a $30 tax on a $100 bag of pot people will most likely pay it, but if they get greedy and add a $200 tax making it a $300 bag, people will just grow their own.