Its Official: California Assembly committee OKs Marijuana legalization bill

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Love this from the linked article:

"We're going to legalize marijuana, we're going to tax it and then we're going to educate our kids about the harm of drugs. You've got to be kidding me,'' Gilmore said. "What's next? Are we going to legalize methamphetamines, cocaine?''

Considerable amounts of money are spent educating kids about the dangers of alcohol and tobacco.

Where do they find these people?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Taxed at $50 per ounce. I knew this whole legalization thing would be a mixed blessing. Well, I guess people will just have to grow their own...

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Love this from the linked article:

"We're going to legalize marijuana, we're going to tax it and then we're going to educate our kids about the harm of drugs. You've got to be kidding me,'' Gilmore said. "What's next? Are we going to legalize methamphetamines, cocaine?''

Considerable amounts of money are spent educating kids about the dangers of alcohol and tobacco.

Where do they find these people?

I saw that too. What a brain dead piece of shit.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
I dont think this legalizes it, it just passes one commitee and has to go thru others or something. I could be wrong.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
No, it does not, it passes the bill, to make the vote possible, it still has to go past the health committee, and people are fearing that they wont vote on it before the Friday deadline...

Dec 10, 2005
I dont think this legalizes it, it just passes one commitee and has to go thru others or something. I could be wrong.

Yeah... misleading title FTL

A proposal to legalize and tax marijuana in California was approved by a key committee of the Assembly this morning, over the dire warnings of police chiefs and prosecutors.

It passed through a key committee, not through the entire legislative body.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Taxed at $50 per ounce. I knew this whole legalization thing would be a mixed blessing. Well, I guess people will just have to grow their own...

Would growing your own (and thus avoiding the taxes of a sale) be considered a form a tax evasion?

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I hope this gets passed. Even though I think pot use is stupid and most people who use it don't seem to different to me than alcoholics, it's really not worth it to prosecute it. Tobacco companies could compete local thugs / losers out of the market in no time and pot could be taxed up the wazoo like cigarettes.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Would growing your own (and thus avoiding the taxes of a sale) be considered a form a tax evasion?
Good question. Wonder if they will handle it like bootlegging booze? Hopefully medical mary-j people will still be able to grow their own.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I think you're allowed to grow your own tobacco and brew your own beer... but I did see a reference to some kind of 'cultivation' levy.

So maybe you will be allowed to grow it but still have to pay taxes?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yes, it includes a cultivation levy. However, it will be impractical to enforce it on individuals who grow small quantities for personal use. It will only be enforced on large, commerical growers.

It is worth noting that the estimate of 1.3 billion in tax revenues doesn't include the savings on the spending side from reduced law enforcement, judicial and penal expenses.

I do hope this passes, but honestly the chances of it passing are slim to none. The pro-legalization crowd are taking advantage of the budget crisis we are in right now to push the measure, but I think there is still too much ideological opposition to it.

I note that Schwartzenegger has been cagey regarding his stance on the issue:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Arnold-Ready-to-Look-into-Legalization.html

- wolf

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I think you're allowed to grow your own tobacco and brew your own beer... but I did see a reference to some kind of 'cultivation' levy.

So maybe you will be allowed to grow it but still have to pay taxes?

yea you can but you can not distill hard liquor

i hope this passes as well. since Colorado passed the medical pot laws there have been pot dispenseries sprouting up all over the place. some of the ads they place in the Boulder news paper selling their goods are very entertaining.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I note that Schwartzenegger has been cagey regarding his stance on the issue

I imagine that means he does not want a bill landing on his desk. And I think you're right, at this point I'd be pretty surprised to see the bill make it out of the assembly.

Still, pretty impressive that it got out of one comittee...

yea you can but you can not distill hard liquor

Is that a tax issue, or is that because they don't want people blowing up their houses?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The legaliation of grass would make so much sense I can't believe it will happen.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

Only 50 an ounce? That's pretty good. Like I said I can't wait to pick up a pack of spliffs from 7-11. Time to dig into the piggy bank under my bed and invest in 7-11 and Taco Bell.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I imagine that means he does not want a bill landing on his desk. And I think you're right, at this point I'd be pretty surprised to see the bill make it out of the assembly.

Still, pretty impressive that it got out of one comittee...

Is that a tax issue, or is that because they don't want people blowing up their houses?

It's also a safety issue, that shit can kill you(moonshine). You cannot die from smoking pot, no matter how much of it you do.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You can easily detect drunk driving. Is it easy to detect if somebody is driving on weed without a blood test?