It's Official: AMD Deneb is coming out January 2009

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008

It is coming out on January 8, 2009 to AM2+ first and performance benchmarks from a Chinese website show it is only 4-5% ahead of 65nm Phenom's. The main difference is the power consumption is half of the current Phenom's.

Announcement

Deneb Performance

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Well, if they can get the power consumption down as well as the heat, and then set it at a low price then they already have a buyer in me. The timing is bad though. If they wanted to make a bigger hit, they would release it earlier....

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Agreed, i love my X2 Athlon......but if i had to upgrade again, i'd get a Gigabyte P45 motherboard and a Intel Quad-core to go with it.

:)

Triskaine

Jun 23, 2008
The first leaks on the 4000 Series also weren't very appealing and now see what happened. AMD has remained very tight lipped since the Phenom B2 debacle, so it's hard to announce a concrete verdict. I for one remain hopeful.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem

It is coming out on January 8, 2009 to AM2+ first and performance benchmarks from a Chinese website show it is only 4-5% ahead of 65nm Phenom's. The main difference is the power consumption is half of the current Phenom's.

Announcement

Deneb Performance

Actually, it's not official...AMD didn't even comment on the story.

Triskaine

Jun 23, 2008
Yes, AMD seems to have sealed their mouths completely and lets nothing out. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a rumour put out by AMD themselves, like they did with the 4000 series and the 480 shaders, which then suddenly became 800. I shall wait and see.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Triskaine
The first leaks on the 4000 Series also weren't very appealing and now see what happened. AMD has remained very tight lipped since the Phenom B2 debacle, so it's hard to announce a concrete verdict. I for one remain hopeful.

Except all the translated sites were giving us previews of the 48XX that showed it being pretty close to what it actually turned out being. It doesnt hurt to dream though.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Hmmm still nothing official so I still hope it comes out before the end of the year because if it doesn't then they've lost my business to an X58/i7.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Let's hope they are at least competitive with yorky's. If a 2.3ghz deneb rly uses 57w, and their estimate of a 3.2ghz clocked deneb using around 100w is correct, then AMD might be able to put out a 3.0+ghz deneb, at 45nm, that could possibly compete with q9450/q9550 and the q9650., depending on how high up deneb can go.

Triskaine

Jun 23, 2008
Now that you say it, Hardspell.com already have tested a Deneb ES, which show that it is on average 10% faster than Agena and consumes half the power at the same clock and voltage under load. We also know that AMD will release a 3,0 GHz model. So we have a 10% increase through architectural improvements plus another 15% through the clock increase compared to the 9950 at the moment. That makes for a healthy total increase in speed of 25%. Now I wouldn't call that 'disappointing'. Of course the performance crown will still belong to Intel, but hey, that is not where the big profits are made, but the mainstream is and there AMD will be even more competitive than they are now.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Triskaine
Now that you say it, Hardspell.com already have tested a Deneb ES, which show that it is on average 10% faster than Agena and consumes half the power at the same clock and voltage under load. We also know that AMD will release a 3,0 GHz model. So we have a 10% increase through architectural improvements plus another 15% through the clock increase compared to the 9950 at the moment. That makes for a healthy total increase in speed of 25%. Now I wouldn't call that 'disappointing'. Of course the performance crown will still belong to Intel, but hey, that is not where the big profits are made, but the mainstream is and there AMD will be even more competitive than they are now.

This is the first I've heard of such high improvements, it sounds very optimistic. Penryn over Conroe only had 5% improvement in performance. Though I am still praying this is true for competition's sake. Kind of makes me more nervous about making the decision to build a new system now, or *sigh* wait again.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Well, if they can get the power consumption down as well as the heat, and then set it at a low price then they already have a buyer in me. The timing is bad though. If they wanted to make a bigger hit, they would release it earlier....

the article says it consumes half the power per clock. @2.3ghz it took 57watts instead of 104watts.

Which is actually slightly more then half, but close to it.

It is only 4-5% faster per clock.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Hmmm still nothing official so I still hope it comes out before the end of the year because if it doesn't then they've lost my business to an X58/i7.

Please note that both i7 and AMD's first 45nm chips should both be out before the desktop Denebs that this article is talking about...
Of course they should also both be for servers...

Triskaine

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: taltamir
It is only 4-5% faster per clock.
7,2% to be exact. The performance gains in games are more like 10% per clock, which I consider to be more important as I am a gamer mostly.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
It's Official: AMD Deneb is coming out January 2009

Do you know what that phrase is supposed to mean when it's used as a thread title?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Viditor
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

Please note that both i7 and AMD's first 45nm chips should both be out before the desktop Denebs that this article is talking about...
Of course they should also both be for servers...

That was my thought too when I saw the fudzilla post. Has AMD ever said Deneb would be out in '08? I thought it was just Shanghai that was supposed to be out in some form or another this year.

To be honest though, as a technical guy, it's kinda bleak to contemplate AMD releasing their first 45nm desktop chips the same year as Intel releasing their 32nm chips. Sure it will be nearly 10-12 months apart but still both stand good chance to happen in 2009. I don't know about baby Jesus, but that makes me cry a little.

Triskaine

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: taltamir
i wouldn't know Triskaine, i just quoted the article in question.
I just wanted to point out that Deneb will be a better processor than most people are expecting. Sure it won't be the performance King, but we shouldn't forget that until Q3 2009
Nehalem is a high end processor together with a high end and expensive platform. Deneb will compete with Yorkfielde in the 'Mainstream' and 'Performance' segments.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
mmm, true, the cheapest DDR3 i see right now is DDR3-1066 @ 180$ per 2x2GB.
That is more then double what DDR2-1066 2x2GB goes for. and it just climbs from there, steeply.

Add to it an expensive mobo and expensiver CPU. And deneb looks really attractive.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The cheaper manufacturing costs and much lower power consumption will definitely help AMD out. If Deneb is sold at a really cheap price point, it will definitely find its way into many systems, and help usher in the era of the quad core.

I will also assume that AMD has plans to release a 45nm Athlon X2 under some branding for the low end or mobile market, but I haven't really been following their roadmaps beyond the big names.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Just because it's not the speed king, a 45nm deneb with half the power consumption sounds really appealing for an aggressively-priced quad workstation. I have no problem with AMDs offerings being in that position. It's why AMD has always been a good alternative. Slight compromise in performance for a serious price advantage. Aggressive pricing will determine if this thing sells.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Come on Viditor. I am pulling for AMD :shocked: But keep it reel . Desk top Server. Nehalem come out at same time . We all know this. High end desktop.:beer:

Deneb late if it arrives in 09 is not good. On Deneb pricing . Its going to have to be low . Its not competing against Nehalem . Dened Vs. Penryn .

After Nehalem . Penryn pricies will drop sharply. When Nehalem 32. Arrives in 09 .
45nm Nehalem pricies will drop.

Its not looking good. After Nehalem32 we get Sandy bridge .

Vidtor Intels roadmaps look devastating to AMD . The worse part for AMD is Intel seems to be on very smooth freeway type road. Were as AMD is on a country road.

I hope AMD can pull something off . But this Tick tock of Intels is unreal . from what we know of the past. AMD needs something really fast. real soon !

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
They are doing "Only 4-5% better then penrynn" Dude, their current stuff doesn't really compare to conroe. This is good news to me. It means they might be doing something right.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I wonder if they got the L3 cache/IMC to run at the core clock speed on Denab, or if it's still out of synch. Anyone know?

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Cogman
They are doing "Only 4-5% better then penrynn" Dude, their current stuff doesn't really compare to conroe. This is good news to me. It means they might be doing something right.
:confused:

Only 4-5% compared to a current Phenom