It's now official: Pecan Pie is now the State Pie of Texas!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
As much as I love pecan pie, this is a horrible decision.

I mean...come the fuck on: it's just Karo corn syrup, a bag of pecans, some vanilla extract, and maybe some creative flourishes like crushed cranberries. hardly a "pie."

:colbert:

And timing. Motherfucking timing. Have to switch temperatures while it bakes, and that can make or break it.

My mom was born in the south, grew up cooking and used to cook the deserts at all the holidays. Since she passed a year and a half ago and holidays wouldn't be holidays without those deserts, and the rest of my family is lazy, I've taken over as holiday desert chef.

I've taken 3 stabs at pecan pie so far, based on her recipes (handwritten on note cards passed down from the previous generation). Every one of them I'd say is a 6 compared to her 10. Good, better than what you'd get in a store, but not the sheer awesomeness I remember (yet). The key is the recipe calls for a 50 degree reduction in temperature "when it looks right" (these things are a holdover from the analog world), still hunting for the sweet spot. :p

Last edited:

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Pee-can. Puh-cahn sounds like a greasy Korean playboy with stupid hair.

Hmm honestly I've never heard it pronounced "pee-can" in Louisiana or Mississippi, unless someone was doing it deliberately to try to sound like Mark Twain (ie very old-fashioned southern).

I associate pecan pie with those states more than Texas, incidentally, but I've never lived in Texas so maybe it's bigger there than I think.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
As a native Texan, I must say this is a terrible choice. Pecan pie is just gelatinous sugar with some pecans on top. It's horrible.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
Hmm honestly I've never heard it pronounced "pee-can" in Louisiana or Mississippi, unless someone was doing it deliberately to try to sound like Mark Twain (ie very old-fashioned southern).

I've lived in several parts of Texas and I rarely hear it pronounced as pee-can. Mostly older people out in the boonies. Puh-cahn is usually the prefered choice.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
As a native Texan, I must say this is a terrible choice. Pecan pie is just gelatinous sugar with some pecans on top. It's horrible.

This.

Never understood the appeal myself, it's really overrated. Blueberry apple pie reigns supreme in my book. Put a scoop of french vanilla on top and I am one happy customer. First time I had it was at some diner on Coastal Route 1 in Maine back when I was a kid.

Pretty sure I pulled a Stewie, when he had blueberry pancakes for the first time.

"God lord there's an orgy in my mouth."

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The private sector often employs the use of "labor rates" to help account for not only the direct costs of having someone work on something, but also for the opportunity cost of having them work on X instead of Y.

Using a calculated labor rate, I wonder what the cost to the state was for having this bill written, introduced, and voted on? Can they just bill that amount to the rep(s) responsible?

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm not American, but cobbler is superior lol.. though in my country we call it crumble.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Most pecan pies are too sweet. I make a special kind of pie with no white sugar at all. It's got a dark flavor to it without being super sweet. Pecan pie from (most) grocery stores is a joke.