It's not everyday you are front row to a police chase...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
What an interesting day...

Coming back from working at my construction site and sitting at one of the busiest intersections in town. It's a two lane, divided road with a turn lane to the right. We're in the lane closest to the turn. Sitting there and just hear this roaring screach of tires and then a CRASH! as I turn to my right and see a car in the turn lane get shoved to the side and then a car comes flying to a stop between us.

No sooner do I have a chance to even judge what happened and the cop comes screaming up and two gang bang looking fuckers jump out of the car that did the rear ending and take off running. The cop runs up to the car and draws his gun and and yanks a third guy out...cuffs him and gets him in the car.

My wife and I get pulled off to the side and stop and ask the the cop if there's anything we can do. He asks us to help the lady who got hit. So my wife and I console her until the fire department get there. It was really sad...other than whiplash she seem fairly unharmed. She was an older lady and in an older car and she just kept sobbing over and over that she didn't know what she'd do because it was her only car and she didn't know how she'd fix it. I'm guessing she was just on collision only and had no way to pay for the most likely uninsured/stolen car that just smashed into her.

Excitement...sadness...just crazy stuff. The cops have our contact info. We tried to give as best info as we could on who we saw flee...but there were already a dozen cars in the area by the time we got to talk to the cop again.

I'm thankful it wasn't us that got smashed...but in a way I'd rather it was us with full coverage than an older person who probably can't afford paying for repairs out of pocket. I might try to talk to the cops and see if there's any way I can help out if they get her name & info.

:(

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Was hoping for a story where you capped a criminal. But you did good.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
A while back, on my way to the local Target, I was at a stop light and I saw a motorcyclist fly by. Shortly afterwards, a squad car flys by. I assumed the cop was trying to pull the guy over and he decided to run. I wondered what would have happened if I had intentionally lunged my car forward in the path of the motorcyclist. Probably not worth the legal hassle in my opinion.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
the same thing happened to me on mill avenue back in the early 90s. i was at a stop light on my motorcycle when a car slammed into the car next to me. as soon as the car slid to a stop it looked like a clown car with kids jumping out everywhere and running different directions. too bad for them tho, cops were already chasing behind them when they hit, and that particular intersection (mill and univ) had a mobile station where the cops would gather and giggle. that night there was probably 20 cops there on foot, so they were witnesses as well as on the kids asses. one played ring around the rosie with a cop around my bike, cop had gun drawn the whole time. i got sick of ducking the gun so i gunned the throttle and bumped the front end up enough to scare the thug and the cop dove over my front end and tackled the kid. it was both one of the sccariest and funnest experiences of my driving career. turns out they had done a drive by a mile back and were unfortunate to not notice the cop cars in the parking lot next to them. dumbasses.

sucks for that old lady, hope it works out well for her.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The car the thugs were in was a fairly new looking PT Cruiser in mint condition (not your typical thug-mobile of choice) with a couple 22" rims shoehorned into the cargo area.

I want to assume the thing was stolen...but who knows. Now that I have a bit more time to think on it I want to see if the lady who got slammed into belongs to a church. I'll see if I can contact and put in the first $500 or something into a collection for her. When we were with her she said that it just wasn't fair. Which it isn't. Good people get shit on by the bad ones.

It was sort of funny...when the cop drew on the guy who was in the car he just kept yelling at the cop "I'm not from here...I'm not even from here!".

I don't care shithead. Hopefully you enjoy the stay.

Sep 7, 2009
A while back, on my way to the local Target, I was at a stop light and I saw a motorcyclist fly by. Shortly afterwards, a squad car flys by. I assumed the cop was trying to pull the guy over and he decided to run. I wondered what would have happened if I had intentionally lunged my car forward in the path of the motorcyclist. Probably not worth the legal hassle in my opinion.

Wow.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
one played ring around the rosie with a cop around my bike, cop had gun drawn the whole time. i got sick of ducking the gun so i gunned the throttle and bumped the front end up enough to scare the thug and the cop dove over my front end and tackled the kid. it was both one of the sccariest and funnest experiences of my driving career

Holy crap. Did you have to change your undies? Did you ever talk to the cop afterwards to see what he thought of the move? That was either the brainest move you could have done...or the ballsiest. Yikes!

Feb 19, 2001

we have people on this board like this? ugh.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
are you a doctor? how could u possibly diagnose her as having whiplash? pffft. shenz

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

D:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
are you a doctor? how could u possibly diagnose her as having whiplash? pffft. shenz

Well if you were at a complete stop and had a car ram into the back of you at 40MPH I'm sure you'll have a bit of a neck injury. And the firefighters had her in a neck brace as I leaving.

As far as me being a doctor...nah. But I sleep with one that does rounds at a level 1 trauma center.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
the same thing happened to me on mill avenue back in the early 90s. i was at a stop light on my motorcycle when a car slammed into the car next to me. as soon as the car slid to a stop it looked like a clown car with kids jumping out everywhere and running different directions. too bad for them tho, cops were already chasing behind them when they hit, and that particular intersection (mill and univ) had a mobile station where the cops would gather and giggle. that night there was probably 20 cops there on foot, so they were witnesses as well as on the kids asses. one played ring around the rosie with a cop around my bike, cop had gun drawn the whole time. i got sick of ducking the gun so i gunned the throttle and bumped the front end up enough to scare the thug and the cop dove over my front end and tackled the kid. it was both one of the sccariest and funnest experiences of my driving career. turns out they had done a drive by a mile back and were unfortunate to not notice the cop cars in the parking lot next to them. dumbasses.

sucks for that old lady, hope it works out well for her.

This story is AWESOME. I literally just drove past mill & university 5 mins ago!

I remember there was a high speed chase a couple years back while I was on Apache and Rural. All of a sudden I see a car cruising eastbound on apache and takes a fast right turn onto Rural. There was a cop hanging out at the chevron with a set of tire spikes in his hand that he tried to throw out onto the road while the driver was taking a right. Totally missed and the driver took off down rural with like 4 cops following him.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007

her209, you dissapoint me. you should have lunged.

i kid, i kid

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
her209, you dissapoint me. you should have lunged.

i kid, i kid

I'm assuming you two are referencing the purse snatcher thread and making coy comments about my posts in there and what happened in this event.

As for this situation 1) it was about 15 feet in front of me, 2) they were out of the car and on foot before I even knew what was going on, and 3) by the time I could even think about doing anything I had a cop by my door with a gun drawn.

And my wife and I were at the old womans car and my wife was holding her hand talking to her while we waited for the emergency response to show up.

But hey, go ahead and draw some more parallels to the situation.

insect9

Jun 19, 2004
I almost got run over by a car full of guys in a chase. It was around 11pm, so it was very dark. I pulled out into the street and look in my rear-view mirror and see the silouette of a car with no lights on barreling at me going about 70mph (speed limit is 30). Then a cruiser comes screeching around the corner three blocks back with lights blaring. The car with no lights on slammed on the breaks so they didn't run in to me. Since the street is narrow, and the police were just a block away, I drove real slow to the end of the block. They sped around me and turned the wrong way down a one way street, so I called dispatch and told them which way they went. A cop friend told me they would have gotten away if I hadn't called.

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
Closest police chase I witnessed was mostly on foot.

I was in line at the bookstore at UC Irvine. I heard this guy run by me and out the exit, leaving behind a full basket on the ground. I then saw a few uniformed officers run by me as well. The guy tried to get away on a bicycle, but the cops pulled him off and had him eating pavement.

I was reading the school newspaper afterward about the guy. He had been stealing bicycles from campus and security cameras caught him in the bookstore, possibly to steal more stuff.

I also watched some Home Depot employees chase a guy into a parking lot for stealing.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Don't worry about the lady's car. She will sue the police department and they will settle out of court. She likely won't even have to sue them, they will just take care of it. Sure the courts will order the thugs to pay restitution but they aren't going to pay and we all know that. Let's just hope the lady wasn't hurt.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Some info is finally hitting the local news sites and the description was off on one of them. So I called into the police and ended up talking to the Seargent on duty. Told him that I had a front row seat and gave him the description that we thought was closer. He said that they had a suspect in custody and that my description was pretty much spot on.

Still one other on the loose though. I didn't get a look at him. He was on the other side of the car from me and I just couldn't remember what he looked like.