It's like people are asking to get hit by cars

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I currently live in a pretty large city. One thing I've noticed that really bothers me is that people will just blindly walk across the road, hoping that no cars hit them. It's not even just the adults, I have had probably five separate occasions where I came close to hitting children in my parking lot--none of them wearing helmets of course.

Example1: I'm driving out of my parking lot slowly, under 5MPH. There are tons of speed bumps, so I'm honestly barely moving here. I make a blind right turn in the parking lot (trees in my way, so I can't see around the corner), and the second I come around the corner, I have to slam on my brakes--there's a little kid on a tricycle completely on my side of the road. Honestly, if he had been a foot or two further, I probably wouldn't have even be able to tell he was there and hit him. He wasn't wearing a helmet, and his parents were nowhere in sight.

Example2: Last night I'm driving home from getting some fast food. It was about 9PM, so it was completely dark. I am on "my road". I'm going about 35MPH and put on my turn signal so I can get into the middle lane and turn into my parking lot. Right when I get into the middle lane I have to slam on my breaks and swerve back... there was a random dude WALKING across the street in dark clothes. What really pissed me off about this was that he made absolutely no attempt to get out of the way (I would have come within a foot or two of hitting him even if I never changed lanes to begin with), and then when I got around him, he starts swearing at me, like I'm the moron in the road.

This never happened in the city I used to live in... Why? Is it because people have less money where I live now, and lack any sort of common sense, or what?

L1FE

Dec 23, 2003
When I'm working in Tampa I see all these random people walking on the highway (Dale Mabry). I also saw two children playing on that highway! One of them ran out into the street and LAID DOWN. Then quickly got up and scurried away. WTF

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Pedestrians are stupid in this country. Either they never never never cross anywhere but the crosswalk, even if no cars are coming and they have to walk an extra block, or they don't look for cars and then jaywalk.

Jaywalking can be safe and practical...but people are idiots about it.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
When I stayed in Nantes, France for 3 months over the summer, it was accepted for pedestrians to walk out in the middle of busy roads to cross them. No one threw a fit, the cars just slowed down, let you cross, and then sped back up again. I thought it was the greatest thing ever as I was always walking, but I would hate to drive in that city.

It wasn't out of ignorance in this case as it is in other places (especially in the US), but just accepted. Oftentimes there'd be no way for the pedestrians to get across the street if they couldn't just walk out in front of traffic.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
It wasn't out of ignorance in this case as it is in other places (especially in the US), but just accepted. Oftentimes there'd be no way for the pedestrians to get across the street if they couldn't just walk out in front of traffic.

This is why I love living in a city that was designed for car traffic. And why peds in the middle of the street infuriate me.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Los Angeles, Crenshaw area, Adams Blvd. ALL THE TIME!!! sometimes with their kids, and a couple times with strollers. FCVK!! :|

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Must be something new, but it's NOT just there. Happend here all the time too.

I grew up in Spokane, and the cops there were pricks about writing jay-walking tickets back in the 60's-70's...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I don't drive yet, but have sat in a car long enough to see retards. The WORST ones are the pedestrians that J-walk, and it is apparent a couple hundred yards away that they made absolutely NO effort whatsoever to look for a clearing. They look straight across, but not once do they scan left or right for traffic. Usually they get honked, and still don't turn their heads.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
When people that do that i just put my hand on the horn and keep driving. Its their business if they dont get out the way and maybe it will teach them a lesson, Obviously i leave myself enough time to move if they dont, but hopefully they'll get scared enough to learn...

The worst ones are the people in dark clothes at night time when theres not many street lights.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I've seen (barely) a black man in a wheel chair, wearing all black, rolling down the middle of an extremely busy street at midnight. It makes me wonder what put him in that chair in the first place. Idiot.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I was driving to work the other day and some fat chick walked out into the road well ahead of me. She got partway across then decided to look and see if any cars were coming. She saw me, so she stopped. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. She was so far out, I would have had to cross over to the other side to get around her fat ass. I slowed down and she got the hint and crossed.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
As a black man in a wheel chair with custom clothing for wheel chair bound men (sadly all dark colors) I can attest that it can be difficult to get across the road, many curbs and corners don't have ramps for wheel chairs like we did in NYC. I've come to accept the wheel chair ever since the stairs collapsed on my back when I was a firefighter during September 11th. Just happy to be alive and dodging asses that drive too fast and think they own the road.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
As a black man in a wheel chair with custom clothing for wheel chair bound men (sadly all dark colors) I can attest that it can be difficult to get across the road, many curbs and corners don't have ramps for wheel chairs like we did in NYC. I've come to accept the wheel chair ever since the stairs collapsed on my back when I was a firefighter during September 11th. Just happy to be alive and dodging asses that drive too fast and think they own the road.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004

When I say he was in the middle of the road. I mean he was going down the yellow line, not crossing the street.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Quasmo

When I say he was in the middle of the road. I mean he was going down the yellow line, not crossing the street.

lol, I get you. I'm a pedestrian about 80% of the time. The things I see drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians do boggle my mind. It makes me afraid to leave the house at times. Like New Year's Eve, Halloween Night.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
Pedestrians are stupid in this country. Either they never never never cross anywhere but the crosswalk, even if no cars are coming and they have to walk an extra block, or they don't look for cars and then jaywalk.

Jaywalking can be safe and practical...but people are idiots about it.

I was only just recently laughing at a friend of mine who got ticketed for jaywalking. No cars coming, just a uniformed officer walking the street who stopped him and wrote a ticket.

ZV

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
lots are getting hit around here between 11pm and 2am. They see you coming and think you see them. The drivers have said some looked right at them yet still stepped right out in front.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst
lots are getting hit around here between 11pm and 2am. They see you coming and think you see them. The drivers have said some looked right at them yet still stepped right out in front.

That's the "Hit me fucker, I need the money," attitude...

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Must be something new, but it's NOT just there. Happend here all the time too.

I grew up in Spokane, and the cops there were pricks about writing jay-walking tickets back in the 60's-70's...

They don't ticket anymore. It's like Frogger here, idiots just walking where they want when they want.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Originally posted by: Quasmo
I've seen (barely) a black man in a wheel chair, wearing all black, rolling down the middle of an extremely busy street at midnight. It makes me wonder what put him in that chair in the first place. Idiot.

:laugh: NICE.:thumbsup:

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
i'm not asking to get hit. i walk in the crosswalk. i wait for the little "walk" guy to show up. i don't cross if there's less than 15 seconds left in the countdown.

and yet some moron has to come barreling around the corner making the right turn trying to hit me.

i'm going to get run over cross wilshire blvd. one of these days. but i have no choice - the parking lot is across the street from the building.