it's freaking hot that i can't sleep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Hmm, $15 (total for fan + electricity) for 60 days/nights of pleasure and comfort. That works out to be 25 cents a day. Damn, I'd pay 25 cents to sleep at night! Heck, you probably pay $1+ for coffee to wake you up in the morning since you didn't sleep because you were too cheap to pay 25 cents for a good night of sleep.

Note: if you use the fan for more than 1 year or if you sell it after 2 months, make that 25 cents plummet towards 0 cents.

I'm a big cheapskate. But even I would pay for a fan. Every summer I hear in the news about some old geezer who died instead of paying 25 cents to turn on the AC (to cool it down to safe but still warm temperatures) or 25 cents to turn on a fan. My life, my sleep, and my comfort is worth more than 25 cents.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Haha, I have government owned and paid for AC. It was like 60 in my room today while it was 115 outside :p

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: CKent
It was 98 here today. I've got the central cranked so much I'm gonna have to go put on socks, my feet are cold. Haw Haw! /nelsen :D

Hah Hah!
I was that way at home over the weekend!
I had the AC cranked down so low, I had to put on socks as my feet were cold. When I went to bed Sat. night, I had to toss another blanket on.
Even a quick trip to the (Non-Air Conditioned) garage was brutal!

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Psh....got used to the heat years ago cause we don't have any air conditioning. Nothing like waking up feeling like crap cause you're all sticky.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
I know I'm cheap. But i'm moving to a place that has AC this august. Besides, it's not hot everyday here. Today is a nice day.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: potoba
It was toasty in my lab today. It was so hot that the crystals in both of our lasers couldn't work properly.... Everyone left at 4pm.

So i went home at 6 and it was hotter at home. I drank like 3 litters of water and haven't pissed since noon.

My house dont have AC and I dont have a fan. I'm too cheap to buy a fan that I'll only use for 2 months.

I think we have found the root of the problem.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
you're too ***** cheap to buy a $10 fan? jesus christ, you can't take it with you.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So nice & warm here in Ka'anapili that we've had to open both sliding doors for the lanai...let the breezes blow rather than crank on the A/C. (Gawd I'm gonna hate to go home this weekend...) Northern Kahleeforneeya has been very cold and rainy...here, even when it rains, it's still 75+

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
So nice & warm here in Ka'anapili that we've had to open both sliding doors for the lanai...let the breezes blow rather than crank on the A/C. (Gawd I'm gonna hate to go home this weekend...) :beer:Northern Kahleeforneeya has been very cold and rainy...here, even when it rains, it's still 75+

Try living in Wisconsin, ~100F with 90%+ humidity in the middle of the summer, -30F with windchill in the middle of the winter. :D:beer:

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: Canai
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION!

LOL! No kidding! We started with talking about it being hot in July.... now it's five months later and freezing out! :D

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: jackace
Originally posted by: invidia
Is it humid there? If it's not over 80% humid, you have no right to complain.

Try sleeping with no AC or fan in 80F 99% humid weather. It's like someone trying to suffocate you with a pillow.

Exact reason i will never live in the Southeast. I was in Florida a few years and it was down-right brutal in the summer there. Summer nights were miserable. The AC went out in my apartment while there and I did not sleep at all. It was horrible. Never going to live in that part of the US for no amount of money.

The power was out at my apartment (USF student, Tampa), no A/C. 90 degrees outside, 80something% humidity. I cut my losses, drove home, and spent the night at my parents :p

WHOA holy fucking dead thread

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Prism
So nice & warm here in Ka'anapili that we've had to open both sliding doors for the lanai...let the breezes blow rather than crank on the A/C. (Gawd I'm gonna hate to go home this weekend...) :beer:Northern Kahleeforneeya has been very cold and rainy...here, even when it rains, it's still 75+

Try living in Wisconsin, ~100F with 90%+ humidity in the middle of the summer, -30F with windchill in the middle of the winter. :D:beer:

No thanks...my son lived in Tomah for about a year...it was nice when we visited in August 06, but it was abnormally dry.

BTW, I grew up in western Mass...and spent about 1-1/2 years between North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia...I understand humidity. Lived in the Rockies for about 7 years and saw -30 or worse on the thermometer PLUS the windchill...I understand cold...that's why I now live in Kahleeforneeya and am trying to scheme a way to move to Hawaii...

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Prism

No thanks...my son lived in Tomah for about a year...it was nice when we visited in August 06, but it was abnormally dry.

BTW, I grew up in western Mass...and spent about 1-1/2 years between North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia...I understand humidity. Lived in the Rockies for about 7 years and saw -30 or worse on the thermometer PLUS the windchill...I understand cold...that's why I now live in Kahleeforneeya and am trying to scheme a way to move to Hawaii...

I wish you the best of luck then on your voyage to paradise! Send me a postcard!