It's "definitely" not "definately"

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
I see this word f*ked up so often that I'm starting to do double-takes when it's spelled correctly.

fix yourselves!

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
hmm....thanks! I've always spelled it definately.....

my mom just tells me as I'm writing/have asked her, that you can think of the Latin "finis" which means "end", then copy the vowels to the English word

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
What the!?? I've always typed "definately".. looked perfectly right. I was certain I was still right after reading this thread, then I checked at dictionary.com, and it's definitely! Strange! Oh well..

-RSI

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What bothers me is people who get so hopelessly hung up on details. I come from a retail commission background where I am used to watching people like that literally go nowhere and never get promoted because they can't seem to ever get out of thier anal own way. This is really a pretty dumb post. I'm totally type A. I focus on where I want to do and get there, who cares if I mispelled something along the way. That's what we had secretaries for . ;)

drboogie

Banned
Jun 9, 2000
<they can't seem to ever get out of thier anal own way.>

It's spelled &quot;their&quot; ... :p

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't you just love those random variables? I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. :D

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
<<It's &quot;definitely&quot; not &quot;definately&quot;>>

&quot;It coitainly is,&quot; he said, defiantly. :)

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
RSI, the reason you thought you were so sure is because of the way most people pronounce it....as if it is with an a.