It's been a while!

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I stopped running F@H for a while because of a number of reasons (trimming the herd, laptop couldn't run it reliably, etc) but I'm going to come back soon.

First though, does anyone see the need for a new F@H setup guide? If so, I'll post it on my ISP-provided webspace so we don't have to worry about bumping a thread to keep it alive, and it'll help me keep it a LOT more manageable.

Soon to be online:

Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.5GHz
Athlon 64 3000+
Pentium 4 3.2C @ 3.6GHz
Radeon X1900XT

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Welcome back.

If you can create a nice set-up guide for the SMP client, I think a lot of people would find that helpful.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Welcome back! :D

The setup-guide is always very welcome - especially now, when so many new crunchers have joined (more than 80 for the Folding@home-TeAm!) :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Welcome back! What better time could there be to come back than right after the release of the SMP client? You've probably already heard about it, but if not, the point increase from running it is certainly worth the hassle of trying it out.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Alright, looks like I'll be doing some writing again. I can easily do the words and stuff (technical term) but what would REALLY help would be if someone could do a web page template. Nothing fancy, but something that at least looks semi-professional with some logos and whatnot.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Welcome back!!!

CupCak3 had a GPU client help thread a while back that would have a lot of information for that client. He also knows alot about the SMP clients.

The rumor is that v6 regular client is very soon to be released.

The PS3 client has brought lots of new members!

petrusbroder got invite threads stickied in all the forums which has REALLY helped the whole TeAm out - F@H in particular for some reason :eek:

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm going to get cracking on the Windows GUI and possibly CLI guides. I'll post a draft version, possibly this afternoon.

EDIT: On second thought, I'll do the CLI version first, it seems pretty straightforward.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I've got the SMP draft done, I still want to go over it again to clean it up and make it a little more logical. Thanks for all the re-welcoming guys, I appreciate it.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: MDE
I've got the SMP draft done, I still want to go over it again to clean it up and make it a little more logical. Thanks for all the re-welcoming guys, I appreciate it.

You should have been here about 2 weeks ago when I first started messing around with the SMP client. :|;)

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
Originally posted by: MDE

You should have been here about 2 weeks ago when I first started messing around with the SMP client. :|;)

Well I'm having my own issues, it won't stay running. It starts up but then CPU usage drops to nothing.

natethegreat

Dec 5, 2004
The windows SMP client is very sensitive to network changes. I had to set both my rigs to static ip's. After I did this I had no more problems with the SMP client stalling out on me.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Network changes - me too, I have dialup. After the SMP client uses the connection, I have to stop the client, disconnect, then start the client again without the connection. Then I can start and stop the connection without problem until the client sends and recieves a new WU, then I have to do it all again!

I am now on the list to get Wild Blue satillite internet installed when they get their new satillite working!!!!!! I have a feeling I will still have to babysit the SMP client as Wild Blue can lose connection for a second every so often :(