It's all about being reelected. Democratic Rep. Jeff Van Drew, critic of Trump impeachment, to switch to GOP

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Democratic Rep. Jeff Van Drew, critic of Trump impeachment, to switch to GOP

He's maybe the lone Dem in the house against impeachment. That's fine. He gets that choice.
But, polls taken in his district show that he's not likely to get reelected if he votes against impeachment.

So what does this, "lifelong, "I've always been a Democrat" do?
He's going to switch sides.

Last month, he said, "“I’m proud to be a Democrat," he said. I’ve never been anything but. .. I’ve always been a Democrat.
But our job is to represent the American people.” "
Until he's not.

It's always about getting reelected. Instead of doing the right thing and making his choice and living with it.
He's doing so, hoping that running as a Republican, he'll keep his job.
I think it was Dave Jolly, the Repub ex-Congressman from Florida said recently. "Why are these congressmen trying
so hard to get reelected, it's not that great of a job" (I am paraphrasing, from my recollection).

With attitudes like Van Drew, the people we get for a Congress will ensure that Congress won't/will never function
the way the framers intended. It will be job >>> party >>> country.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
He would get primaried otherwise. It was his only choice.
I understand that, but that just means he sold his soul for the job.
He's a lifelong Dem that wants the job so much, he'll jump ship.
Not a guy that I want representing me, as it shows he has no spine.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Hahaha. Nancy you're doing a grreeeeeeat job, keep it up! Hopefully more defect from this awful party and its fakepeachment scam. The way things are going, the Dems are vying to emulate the UK's Labour Party. This is a total dumpster fire and polling shows battleground states have completely flipped to Trump when the Dems were sitting on 8 - 20 point leads. Thanks Nancy!

Impeachment has always been an extremely risky, desperate bet and the fact that SCOTUS just nullified the 2nd article of impeachment (obstruction) by agreeing to hear the financial records case should be a sign of the writing on the wall. Jeff saw the writing on the wall and now he'll be handsomely rewarded come 2020 for calling out fakepeachment for what it is.

OP you're also wrong. He's not the "lone person against impeachment". I'm hearing the count is up to 9, a quick google search shows at least 6 attended Trump's White House party reported by Rolling Stone. Nancy can only afford to lose 18 and then it's game over.
The 9 listed in the article are:
The list of Democratic partygoers included: Antonio Delgado (D-N.Y.), Susie Lee (D-Nev.), Elaine Luria (D-Va.), Jim Costa (D-Calif.), Josh Harder (D-Calif.), and Gil Cisneros (D-Calif.). Former Republican-turned-independent after he spoke out against Trump, Justin Amash of Michigan also attended the festivities.

The report also points out that the two Democrats who voted against launching the impeachment probe, Jeff Van Drew (D-N.J.) and Collin Peterson (D-Minn.), did not attend the party.

Last edited:
Reactions: drifter106

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The list of officials quitting the Republican Party keeps growing

06/20/16 10:00 AM
Two weeks ago, an Iowa state senator who’s had a lengthy career in public service as a Republican announced he just couldn’t take it anymore: citing Donald Trump as a contributing factor, the lawmaker quit the GOP and changed his voter registration to “no party.”

A few days later, the Republican mayor of Hackensack, New Jersey, announced he too is giving up on the GOP, and he was joined by his deputy mayor. Both mentioned Trump in their statements and both switched their registration to “independent.”

Over the weekend, the Charleston Gazette-Mail in West Virginia reported on another joining the club.

Charleston Mayor Danny Jones, who has been a Republican for 45 years and has been elected mayor four times as a Republican, has left the party.

Jones announced Friday that he has switched his party registration to “unaffiliated.” He pointed to multiple factors, specifically the social conservative bent of the West Virginia House of Delegates and the rise of Donald Trump as the party’s presidential nominee.

In addition to his opposition to Trump’s candidacy, Jones noted the “obsession” among West Virginia Republicans to allow private-sector discrimination again LGBT Americans as one of the reasons he’s walking away from the party.

Jones, the mayor of West Virginia’s largest city, added, “I plan to complete my current term, and have no plans to run for any office ever again. I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone.”

It’s important, of course, not to overstate matters based on a handful of examples. Four local officials do not necessarily a trend make.

But every time I read about someone like Danny Jones, I wonder how many other Danny Joneses there are out there: Americans who’ve long considered themselves Republicans, who remember what the GOP was like before its radicalization, and who may be tempted to give up on the party in light of Trump’s nomination and antics.

It’s just not common for elected officials to abandon their party in an election year. The fact that these folks have abandoned the GOP this year probably isn’t a good sign.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Hahaha. Nancy you're doing a grreeeeeeat job, keep it up! Hopefully more defect from this awful party and its fakepeachment scam. The way things are going, the Dems are vying to emulate the UK's Labour Party. This is a total dumpster fire and polling shows battleground states have completely flipped to Trump when the Dems were sitting on 8 - 20 point leads. Thanks Nancy!

Impeachment has always been an extremely risky, desperate bet and the fact that SCOTUS just nullified the 2nd article of impeachment (obstruction) by agreeing to hear the financial records case should be a sign of the writing on the wall. Jeff saw the writing on the wall and now he'll be handsomely rewarded come 2020 for calling out fakepeachment for what it is.

OP you're also wrong. He's not the "lone person against impeachment". I'm hearing the count is up to 9, a quick google search shows at least 6 attended Trump's White House party reported by Rolling Stone. Nancy can only afford to lose 18 and then it's game over.
Reading comprehension for the loss.
"He's maybe the lone Dem in the house against impeachment. "

Anyway, your post had nothing to do with the article or the title.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

What are you smoking?
Just because a group of Democrats decide to go to a white house party does not mean that they are supporters of Donald Trump!
I see you like to go fishing, but you never catch anything!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He'd rather have a job than a soul, or be on the right side of history. Sounds like he's found his true home in the GOP for sure. I'm not a Dem, but, good riddance?

Impeachments don't get any more valid and appropriate than this one; either you are living up to your oath of office or you aren't. May these people get flushed in 2020 like the turds they are, whatever the hell letter comes after their name.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
What are you smoking?
Just because a group of Democrats decide to go to a white house party does not mean that they are supporters of Donald Trump!
I see you like to go fishing, but you never catch anything!

Democratic support for impeachment is eroding and Dems showing up to TRUMP'S CHRISTMAS PARTY shows they have no unification nor conviction that they really think he should be impeached. If they do, then they're incredibly stupid because the optics are horrible. Look at recent polling, it's possible the impeachment vote won't even pass!

But here's an interesting thing: In survey data collected by Ipsos and FiveThirtyEight at the beginning of this month, 16.5 percent of Democrats said they believe Trump committed an impeachable offense but do not think he should be removed from office via impeachment. Instead, they say, his fate should be left to the voters to decide on Election Day 2020. Another 9.4 percent of Democratic respondents said Trump didn't commit an impeachable offense at all. If those numbers are reflected in Congress, the impeachment articles will fail.
If Democratic representatives share their national voter base's perspective from that Ipsos/FiveThirtyEight survey and vote accordingly, a whopping 63 would vote "no," so impeachment definitely fails.

I doubt either of those outcomes are realistic, they make defections in the high teens or low 20s seem possible. And I'm not sure Pelosi (to say nothing of Democrats' presidential candidates) would hate a narrow loss, whatever she says publicly.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
He'd rather have a job than a soul, or be on the right side of history. Sounds like he's found his true home in the GOP for sure. I'm not a Dem, but, good riddance?

Impeachments don't get any more valid and appropriate than this one; either you are living up to your oath of office or you aren't. May these people get flushed in 2020 like the turds they are, whatever the hell letter comes after their name.
He could've just stayed silent and continued to vote "No". I'm guessing Nancy and leadership threatened him so he said F U and in retaliation he prison shanked them by meeting with Trump. That's the sign of failed leadership - they should've just left him alone. He's entitled to vote however he wants, especially if he's in a vulnerable district.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I won't be surprised if more leave the party. Granted, I don't expect them all to join the GOP, but some to become independents.
I won't be surprised if the Republican bloodbath of 2018 repeats itself in 2020. Granted, I don't expect all of the Republicans who lose their seats to join the Democrats, but some to become independents.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Literally hundreds of Republican politicians have left the party or lost their seats since 2017, but 1 Dem switches over out of cowardice and dishonest Republican trolls try to pretend this is a wave.
How many Republicans have switched to Democrat since 2017? Everything else you said is just hyperbole and part of the natural election cycle.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
He could've just stayed silent and continued to vote "No". I'm guessing Nancy and leadership threatened him so he said F U and in retaliation he prison shanked them by meeting with Trump. That's the sign of failed leadership - they should've just left him alone. He's entitled to vote however he wants, especially if he's in a vulnerable district.

You literally just made up a convuloted story based on a guess and then used that to come to what you appear to believe is a factual conclusion. That's the sign of a gullible mind.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
How many Republicans have switched to Democrat since 2017? Everything else you said is just hyperbole and part of the natural election cycle.
No, I was pointing out the hundreds, if not thousands, of political seats that the Republicans have lost in the last 3 years. But ooohh.. the Dems just lost one so that's somehow different, right?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
No, I was pointing out the hundreds, if not thousands, of political seats that the Republicans have lost in the last 3 years. But ooohh.. the Dems just lost one so that's somehow different, right?
So I'll ask you again, how many Repubs switched to the Democratic party? It's highly unusual for a Democrat to switch parties, do you agree? Also, do you agree that it is a sign of bad leadership?

Last, why didn't he just go independent?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Your particular brand of hyperbole never fails to amuse, I want you know that.

If this guy bidding the Dems adieu is some kind of grisly stab wound, then the GOP exodus is someone being fed feet first into a plastic shredder.

Haha yes do something about all that blood Dems.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So I'll ask you again, how many Repubs switched to the Democratic party? It's highly unusual for a Democrat to switch parties, do you agree? Also, do you agree that it is a sign of bad leadership?

Maybe you should wait until after he wins before swallowing. Make him work for it sister.

Yep, pretty rare. Hasn't happened since, what, last spring in Iowa?

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

No, I don't agree, because both of those are non sequiturs. The simplest explanation is that he's a weak D in an R+ district trying to save his ass from getting primaried. If he went independent, both parties would have turned on him, and he would have been even worse off. While by switching over, he was likely able to negotiate some strong financial backing in exchange.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm gonna LOL if he gets primaried on the right because he's not a Trump supporter!
I'm confident that he would not have switched parties right before an election year unless the Republicans guaranteed him sufficient campaign support to get him through the primaries.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Don`t give up your day job....