Article It Will Cost $699 to Repair a Broken 12.9-Inch M1 iPad Pro Without AppleCare+

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
"Apple charges $149 for two years of ‌AppleCare‌+, or an ongoing subscription can be purchased for $7.99. ‌AppleCare‌+ used to be available for a limited amount of time, but can now be extended indefinitely with the subscription options"

1619908323797.png

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I couldn't be paid to use a tablet. I'd had one (Dell something or other, lol), and that it runs windows is the only redeeming thing about it... not that it's bad per se, just that a tablet is a terrible form factor to me, unless just used as the remote/streaming to a TV to view.

Well that and that I can get a larger display for automotive diagnostics while driving, takes less attention off the road to have a larger display but for portability's sake, modern phones are already larger than I care for and computing in general, I want ever larger screens, further away from me.

Reactions: sxr7171

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I couldn't be paid to use a tablet. I'd had one (Dell something or other, lol), and that it runs windows is the only redeeming thing about it... not that it's bad per se, just that a tablet is a terrible form factor to me, unless just used as the remote/streaming to a TV to view.

Well that and that I can get a larger display for automotive diagnostics while driving, takes less attention off the road to have a larger display but for portability's sake, modern phones are already larger than I care for and computing in general, I want ever larger screens, further away from me.

I was really psyched up when the iPad was first released over a decade ago. I got one & ended up not liking it very much because it was pretty cumbersome to use, partly due to app limitations at the time. However, now I have a 12.9" model with the Pencil 2.0 & primarily use it for creative stuff & it is really, really fantastic! The drawing capabilities are up there with Wacom, plus I can do vector, raster, and basic CGI on it. Graphic design is just stupid fun with the pen:

I do a lot of my CNC designs on it as well. It's not the most powerful CAD platform on the planet, but for just sitting on your couch & drawing stuff up, it's pretty amazing!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I was really psyched up when the iPad was first released over a decade ago. I got one & ended up not liking it very much because it was pretty cumbersome to use, partly due to app limitations at the time. However, now I have a 12.9" model with the Pencil 2.0 & primarily use it for creative stuff & it is really, really fantastic! The drawing capabilities are up there with Wacom, plus I can do vector, raster, and basic CGI on it. Graphic design is just stupid fun with the pen:

I do a lot of my CNC designs on it as well. It's not the most powerful CAD platform on the planet, but for just sitting on your couch & drawing stuff up, it's pretty amazing!

I'm going to have to give Shapr3d a 3rd (4th?) try. Every time I've tried it I've been stuck with how it doesn't quite work the way I expect. I like to use sketchup on PC (an older 2015 version that doesn't try to nickel-and-dime you), and Shapr just was weird to adjust to. I also used Ferrite Recording Studio back when I was regularly recording and editing podcasts, but life got in the way of that for a while.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm going to have to give Shapr3d a 3rd (4th?) try. Every time I've tried it I've been stuck with how it doesn't quite work the way I expect. I like to use sketchup on PC (an older 2015 version that doesn't try to nickel-and-dime you), and Shapr just was weird to adjust to. I also used Ferrite Recording Studio back when I was regularly recording and editing podcasts, but life got in the way of that for a while.

Yeah, Shapr has its own workflow "language" to get used to (plus there are just hardware limitations due to the platform, which I'd imagine will hugely expand on the M1 platform in the future!). On the desktop, I use IronCAD, which imo is the best CAD system on the planet (I've used the majority of the pay-for & free options out there between work & personal projects). Stuff like the tri-ball & non-history-dependency is absolutely bonkers to use, it's like going from a Blackberry to an iPhone 12, there's just no way you could ever go back lol. Downside is that it's quite pricey, but not as bad as some other higher-end packages. But on the iPad, for when I just watch to sketch out a quick idea, it's really fantastic! Like for 3D printing or CNC v-carving. Side note, Shapr just came out for Mac!

The tools these days are just fantastic. Growing up as a Wacom tablet guy, I'm extremely impressed with the Pencil 2.0 (plus Paperlike screen protector, makes it nicer to draw on!) & love love love both Affinity Designer (similar to Illustrator but also with bonkers functionality regarding touch & pen inputs) & Procreate. Stuff like drawing directly on the screen with a feature like Symmetry Mode is just so, so cool in practice!