It Took a Brit Paper to Bring This Putative Police Murder to My Attention

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

"At 12.30am on 2 June, as protests for George Floyd raged across California, a Vallejo policeman fired five shots through the windshield of his unmarked car, fatally striking an unarmed young man kneeling in a parking lot.

The death of Sean Monterrosa sparked national outrage at a time when a growing number of Americans are focused on police brutality. But in Vallejo, the killing felt painfully familiar and served as a harsh reminder that the city’s police department remains one of the country’s most violent and brutal small-city forces.

The Vallejo police chief said officers on Monday night responded to calls for “potential looters” at a Walgreens. Monterrosa was kneeling with his hands raised when he was shot, the chief said, and was not observed looting. Monterrosa had a hammer in his pocket, not a gun.

Vallejo police officers have killed 19 people since 2010, one of the highest rates in the state. The officer who shot Monterrosa, Detective Jarrett Tonn, has been involved in four shootings in five years. He’s one of 14 Vallejo policemen whom residents and activists call the “Fatal 14” – officers who have repeatedly shot and killed citizens and never faced consequences."

^^^ If true in detail, well, fuck me.

Our country is crying out for change.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Reactions: FaaR and skyking

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's a one-two combo going on where there's both institutional racism and a belief among the police that their fear and authority overrides everything else (just look at the police unions that lash out whenever an officer is held to account for murder). And what's sad is that it's often hard to separate the two.

Reactions: Meghan54

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This to me, was unbelievable
"One Vallejo officer killed three people within 21 weeks in 2012 and was promoted to detective. An officer with three shootings was recently promoted to lieutenant. "

Residents of a Bay Area town wonder how one police officer could gun down three men in five months and earn a promotion.

They need to get rid of that police force and do what Camden NJ did.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Vallejo is about 40 minutes from where I live. It has a reputation in the bay area as "that city with the psycho cops." When you have what is basically a largish suburb with way higher rates of police shooting than Oakland or SF, it signals that something is very wrong. I'm glad there is a state AG investigation now.

Reactions: FaaR

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Vallejo is about 40 minutes from where I live. It has a reputation in the bay area as "that city with the psycho cops." When you have what is basically a largish suburb with way higher rates of police shooting than Oakland or SF, it signals that something is very wrong. I'm glad there is a state AG investigation now.
I live about the same distance away from Vallejo, I've never heard anything about psycho cops.
Clearly something is going on in Vallejo, but the stories posted here are long on assumption and short on facts. I'll be very interested to see what the AG finds.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
so i just saw this come through, each shooting is a notch on the bedpost for this guys

jesus christ. that entire force needs to be disbanded. i dont know if the officers can be prosecuted, but if they can, the feds should absolutely bury them. city officials should be held to account too.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah well, what about all the agitators and people walking illegally on the highway?

They should just go without punishment for their actions?

BothSidesDoIt™ and whatnot.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I live about the same distance away from Vallejo, I've never heard anything about psycho cops.
Clearly something is going on in Vallejo, but the stories posted here are long on assumption and short on facts. I'll be very interested to see what the AG finds.
Vallejo is approx 100 miles north of where I live and the word is to avoid going through Vallejo period!
BTW -- That word is advice from local law enforcement.....sad!!