It Takes a Potemkin Village

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BBond
Alchemize,

What are your thoughts on this?

Once again inflating the readiness of Iraqi troops, Mr. Bush claimed that the recent assault on Tal Afar "was primarily led by Iraqi security forces" - a fairy tale immediately unmasked by Michael Ware, a Time reporter embedded in that battle's front lines, as "completely wrong." No less an authority than the office of Iraq's prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari, promptly released a 59-page report documenting his own military's inadequate leadership, equipment and training.

I think it's inconsequential trivia.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Or this...

What raised the "Plan for Victory" show to new heights of disinformation was the subsequent revelation that the administration's main stated motive for the address - the release of a 35-page document laying out a "National Strategy for Victory in Iraq" - was as much a theatrical prop as the stunt turkey the president posed with during his one furtive visit to Baghdad two Thanksgivings ago.

As breathlessly heralded by Scott McClellan, this glossy brochure was "an unclassified version" of the strategy in place since the war's inception in "early 2003." But Scott Shane of The New York Times told another story. Through a few keystrokes, the electronic version of the document at whitehouse.gov could be manipulated to reveal text "usually hidden from public view." What turned up was the name of the document's originating author: Peter Feaver, a Duke political scientist who started advising the National Security Council only this June. Dr. Feaver is an expert on public opinion about war, not war itself. Thus we now know that what Mr. McClellan billed as a 2003 strategy for military victory is in fact a P.R. strategy in place for no more than six months.

More inconsequential trivia. Next?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize

Do you think the "Plan for Victory" itself is inconsequential trivia, or that the fact the White House is falsely claiming it was an actual unclassified strategic document is inconsequential trivia? Assuming the latter, why do you consider it trivial that the White House has fabricated a "plan for victory" more than two years after the war started, then claimed they had been following it all along? Some of my closest friends are in Iraq as I type this - I sure as hell don't think it's trivial that the White House has no apparent plan for protecting them, much less bringing them home (not to mention the fact that they are apparently more interested in securing positive press than victory).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DonVito

Do you think the "Plan for Victory" itself is inconsequential trivia, or that the fact the White House is falsely claiming it was an actual unclassified strategic document is inconsequential trivia? Assuming the latter, why do you consider it trivial that the White House has fabricated a "plan for victory" more than two years after the war started, then claimed they had been following it all along? Some of my closest friends are in Iraq as I type this - I sure as hell don't think it's trivial that the White House has no apparent plan for protecting them, much less bringing them home (not to mention the fact that they are apparently more interested in securing positive press than victory).

I think that in the "grand scheme of things" what was or was not planned, who knew about it when, where it was documented, and how it was communicated means nothing and is trivia. It's what politicians do, pick at each others scabs.

Victory will be obtained by the soldiers over there, and by support over here. Not by bumbling politicians on either side of the aisle.

Feb 10, 2000

I think that in the "grand scheme of things" what was or was not planned, who knew about it when, where it was documented, and how it was communicated means nothing and is trivia. It's what politicians do, pick at each others scabs.

Victory will be obtained by the soldiers over there, and by support over here. Not by bumbling politicians on either side of the aisle.

"Support" does not, at least in my world, consist of making up fake "plans for victory" years after the fact, to disguise the fact that you didn't have them when it mattered. Moreover, whether you agree or not, any military officer will tell you that planning is key to achieving victory and minimizing friendly casualties and collateral damage. To the extent you consider planning "trivia," you are planning to fail.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

"Support" does not, at least in my world, consist of making up fake "plans for victory" years after the fact, to disguise the fact that you didn't have them when it mattered. Moreover, whether you agree or not, any military officer will tell you that planning is key to achieving victory and minimizing friendly casualties and collateral damage. To the extent you consider planning "trivia," you are planning to fail.

The whole "plan for victory" is nothing but a PR thing from both sides anyhow. The plan was a) kick saddams ass b) put in some kind of stable government c) get the heck out of dodge. Everything else should be left to the military commanders.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Alchemize,

Once again inflating the readiness of Iraqi troops, Mr. Bush claimed that the recent assault on Tal Afar "was primarily led by Iraqi security forces" - a fairy tale immediately unmasked by Michael Ware, a Time reporter embedded in that battle's front lines, as "completely wrong." No less an authority than the office of Iraq's prime minister, Ibrahim al-Jaafari, promptly released a 59-page report documenting his own military's inadequate leadership, equipment and training.

So you believe that a sitting U.S. president continually falsifying information from a war zone that is in itself the product of his falsification of other information is "inconsequential trivia"?

Do you realize how wrong that is?

We're witnessing the consequences of Bush's "inconsequential trivia" right now in Iraq.

Do you believe that people can escape the consequences of their actions?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Alchemize,

So you believe that a sitting U.S. president continually falsifying information from a war zone that is in itself the product of his falsification of other information is "inconsequential trivia"?

Do you realize how wrong that is?

We're witnessing the consequences of Bush's "inconsequential trivia" right now in Iraq.

Do you believe that people can escape the consequences of their actions?

That's why you are impossible to discuss a topic with. You take this example, my opinion, and spin it out to apply universally and apply some vague morality question to it, which you view throuh a narrow lens. I see it as no different than your refusal to acknowledge good news when it comes out of Iraq.

As far as the general question of people escaping the consequences of their actions, of course they can. Many do. Many don't.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

The whole "plan for victory" is nothing but a PR thing from both sides anyhow. The plan was a) kick saddams ass b) put in some kind of stable government c) get the heck out of dodge. Everything else should be left to the military commanders.

Do you really lack any concept of right and wrong?

We kicked ass alright. Civilian ass while Saddam is making a mockery of this entire fiasco at his trial. The "stable government" we're putting in is going to be based on Islamic law and closely aligned with Iran. And we can't get out of Dodge because absolutely ZERO planning was put into this. You want to leave everything else to the military commanders but unfortunately the Bush administration over rode them right from the start. Too few troops to begin with, no planning, and no exit strategy. Now we're in a giant clusterfvck and you refuse to hold the people accountable who erroneously and unnecessarily began it in the first place.

There are consequences to actions. They are inescapable even for the world's "only remaining super-power".

No one can do good by doing evil. Lies are still lies. Dead civilians can't be brought back to life. No one can escape the consequences of their actions forever no matter how many PR campaigns or how much propaganda they employ.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Do you really lack any concept of right and wrong?

We kicked ass alright. Civilian ass while Saddam is making a mockery of this entire fiasco at his trial. The "stable government" we're putting in is going to be based on Islamic law and closely aligned with Iran. And we can't get out of Dodge because absolutely ZERO planning was put into this. You want to leave everything else to the military commanders but unfortunately the Bush administration over rode them right from the start. Too few troops to begin with, no planning, and no exit strategy. Now we're in a giant clusterfvck and you refuse to hold the people accountable who erroneously and unnecessarily began it in the first place.

There are consequences to actions. They are inescapable even for the world's "only remaining super-power".

No one can do good by doing evil. Lies are still lies. Dead civilians can't be brought back to life. No one can escape the consequences of their actions forever no matter how many PR campaigns or how much propaganda they employ.

Since everything else was a rant, I'll answer your question. No, I think I do not lack a concept of right and wrong. I think I have a very strong concept of right and wrong.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

Since everything else was a rant, I'll answer your question. No, I think I do not lack a concept of right and wrong. I think I have a very strong concept of right and wrong.

Then how do you explain referring to outright lies by your president as inconsequential trivia? How do you explain justifying a war based on lies? How does your very strong concept of right and wrong apply to all of the dead and wounded? All of the destruction?

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005

... I'll answer your question. No, I think I do not lack a concept of right and wrong. I think I have a very strong concept of right and wrong.

IF you have a "very strong" concept of right and wrong, then what is your answer to a simple Yes or No question - should the US government be allowed to systematically lie to it's constituents? What would you teach your children? That it's OK to lie IF they think it's important enough?

Yes or No.

Future Shock

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Then how do you explain referring to outright lies by your president as inconsequential trivia? How do you explain justifying a war based on lies? How does your very strong concept of right and wrong apply to all of the dead and wounded? All of the destruction?
Let's take those 1 by 1:

"Then how do you explain referring to outright lies by your president as inconsequential trivia?" I disagree with your assessment, I don't believe anyone has proven these as lies. I refer to the article as inconsequential trivia because that is my opinion.

"How do you explain justifying a war based on lies?" I disagree with your assessment, and that the war was only based on WMD's (I assume that's the dem party line you are referring to).

"How does your very strong concept of right and wrong apply to all of the dead and wounded?" I don't see the relevance there. I haven't killed or wounded anyone.

"All of the destruction?" Again, relevance? I haven't caused any of the destruction.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Future Shock

... I'll answer your question. No, I think I do not lack a concept of right and wrong. I think I have a very strong concept of right and wrong.

IF you have a "very strong" concept of right and wrong, then what is your answer to a simple Yes or No question - should the US government be allowed to systematically lie to it's constituents? What would you teach your children? That it's OK to lie IF they think it's important enough?

Yes or No.

Future Shock

This is the crux of America's problem. We are dealing with a society that has largely lost the ability to discern right from wrong. Truth from lies. Fact from fiction. And this is exactly why we are in the state we're in.

It's morning in America and all is right in the world.

WASHINGTON -- Nibbling on frosted gingerbread snowflakes, the hungry horde circled a long, laden buffet table in the State Dining Room on Wednesday, mapping out strategic third, or perhaps fourth, follow-ups.
For the sake of honest journalistic inquiry, reporters were sampling the White House fare that President Bush and first lady Laura Bush will serve some 9,500 guests at 26 Christmas parties in the coming 21 days.

Would accurate reporting require an additional lap around the dessert table, with just a spoonful each of raspberries in whipped cream, hot cherry cake, apple cobbler, chocolate soufflé and pumpkin custard?
"This is always a very, very happy time here at the White House," said Laura Bush.
The food sampling, which follows the first lady's annual tour of a White House bedecked for the holidays, is a Washington tradition.
The White House decorations theme this year is "All Things Bright and Beautiful," explained Bush.
"We wanted to use real and fresh flowers and garlands and fruits, and that's what we've done."
"The flowers on the Christmas trees are all fresh," she said, showing off tall twin evergreens in the East Room, each adorned with hot pink roses, lime green ornaments, crystal garlands and tiny white lights.

Republicans sinking in sleaze

A decade ago the Democrats were thought to be shady. Now it is the turn of Mr Bush's party
A DECADE ago Newt Gingrich?s Republican revolutionaries seized control of Congress after 40 years of Democrat rule by promising to end the culture of graft and corruption on Capitol Hill.

Today, after a string of indictments, scandals and a criminal investigation that threatens to implicate dozens of politicians next year, the tables have turned full circle. It is now President Bush?s Republicans who are seen as the party of sleaze.

Polls suggest that two thirds of Americans believe that corruption is a serious political problem. That, allied with the growing unpopularity of the war in Iraq, is raising fears in the White House of a voter backlash in next year?s mid-term congressional elections.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Yes or No.

Future Shock
Hmm, that's an interesting one. Systematically lie? No, the government should not be "allowed" to do that, although "allowed" really isn't a right or wrong moral question, that's more "permission/consequences" isn't it?

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

Let's take those 1 by 1:

"Then how do you explain referring to outright lies by your president as inconsequential trivia?" I disagree with your assessment, I don't believe anyone has proven these as lies. I refer to the article as inconsequential trivia because that is my opinion.

"How do you explain justifying a war based on lies?" I disagree with your assessment, and that the war was only based on WMD's (I assume that's the dem party line you are referring to).

"How does your very strong concept of right and wrong apply to all of the dead and wounded?" I don't see the relevance there. I haven't killed or wounded anyone.

"All of the destruction?" Again, relevance? I haven't caused any of the destruction.

Where's the WMD? Where is the threat? The only acceptable reason for attacking Iraq or any other nation is self defense. What were we defending ourselves against?

You haven't killed or wounded anyone? You haven't caused any destruction? You and all of the people like you who support and defend the Bush administration made it possible for them to go ahead with their unprovoked attack.

Bush and his propagandists like to compare their invasion of Iraq with WWII. Here's a comparison from WWII that fits. Were the German people who supported Hitler responsible for the death and destruction he caused?

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

Yes or No.

Future Shock
Hmm, that's an interesting one. Systematically lie? No, the government should not be "allowed" to do that, although "allowed" really isn't a right or wrong moral question, that's more "permission/consequences" isn't it?

Then how do you justify the actions of the Bush admininstration? The continuing lies about Iraq troop readiness, the propaganda? If you give them permission through your support are you as culpable as they are? Will it be fair to you to share in the consequences?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Where's the WMD? Where is the threat? The only acceptable reason for attacking Iraq or any other nation is self defense. What were we defending ourselves against?

You haven't killed or wounded anyone? You haven't caused any destruction? You and all of the people like you who support and defend the Bush administration made it possible for them to go ahead with their unprovoked attack.

Bush and his propagandists like to compare their invasion of Iraq with WWII. Here's a comparison from WWII that fits. Were the German people who supported Hitler responsible for the death and destruction he caused?

Those seem to all be generic Sheehan-ish rhetorical questions so I won't answer them.

I would say the 23 democrat senators and 133 democrat reps that voted in favor of the Iraq War Resolution made it quite a bit more possible than I did.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
It's 2005 and America still doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.

Don't blame Congress. They're guilty of trusting Bush with a resolution to use force IF NECESSARY that they voted for based on intelligence that was skewed and with information omitted that might make them question their vote as Bush forced the vote before the election, cynically using 9/11, making misleading statements about Saddam and 9/11, Saddam and WMD, Saddam and nuclear material from Africa based on forged documents.

You consciously support Bush and his lies even today after they've all been exposed. Don't blame someone else for your failure to hold Bush responsible for his lies. If Congress is responsible then you are just as responsible as they. Probably more so because your continued support keeps the lies alive to this day.

Future Shock

Aug 28, 2005

Yes or No.

Future Shock

Alchemize: WTF? Here you are saying the government should not be allowed to lie, but then in THREE seperate responses to the OP, you claimed that allegations (with initial substantiation) of the government lying where "inconsequential trivia"!!!
  1. 1)
    Alchemize,

1. 2)
    Or this...

What raised the "Plan for Victory" show to new heights of disinformation was the subsequent revelation that the administration's main stated motive for the address - the release of a 35-page document laying out a "National Strategy for Victory in Iraq" - was as much a theatrical prop as the stunt turkey the president posed with during his one furtive visit to Baghdad two Thanksgivings ago.

As breathlessly heralded by Scott McClellan, this glossy brochure was "an unclassified version" of the strategy in place since the war's inception in "early 2003." But Scott Shane of The New York Times told another story. Through a few keystrokes, the electronic version of the document at whitehouse.gov could be manipulated to reveal text "usually hidden from public view." What turned up was the name of the document's originating author: Peter Feaver, a Duke political scientist who started advising the National Security Council only this June. Dr. Feaver is an expert on public opinion about war, not war itself. Thus we now know that what Mr. McClellan billed as a 2003 strategy for military victory is in fact a P.R. strategy in place for no more than six months.

1. 3)

You can't have it both ways - you can't say that government shouldn't be allowed to lie, but then say that allegations of such behaviour are trivia. These allegations are HIGHLY important, need to be investigated, and either put to bed, or the consequences borne by those issuing them.
Unless you just want to engage in head-in-the-sand partisianship behaviour...in which case you are saying you have strong morals, unless it applies to the party you favor (which is, of course, immoral behaviour, as morals are not subjective).

Future Shock

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
*bump*

Maybe alchemize thinks being a hypocrite is inconsequential as well?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
It's 2005 and America still doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.

Don't blame Congress. They're guilty of trusting Bush with a resolution to use force IF NECESSARY that they voted for based on intelligence that was skewed and with information omitted that might make them question their vote as Bush forced the vote before the election, cynically using 9/11, making misleading statements about Saddam and 9/11, Saddam and WMD, Saddam and nuclear material from Africa based on forged documents.

You consciously support Bush and his lies even today after they've all been exposed. Don't blame someone else for your failure to hold Bush responsible for his lies. If Congress is responsible then you are just as responsible as they. Probably more so because your continued support keeps the lies alive to this day.

Do you feel better now?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Alchemize: WTF? Here you are saying the government should not be allowed to lie, but then in THREE seperate responses to the OP, you claimed that allegations (with initial substantiation) of the government lying where "inconsequential trivia"!!!
That's my opinion of these specific instances. I don't think anyone has "proven" them to be a lie. Proving something a lie is quite difficult. That's why politicians do so well.

You can't have it both ways - you can't say that government shouldn't be allowed to lie, but then say that allegations of such behaviour are trivia. These allegations are HIGHLY important, need to be investigated, and either put to bed, or the consequences borne by those issuing them.
Unless you just want to engage in head-in-the-sand partisianship behaviour...in which case you are saying you have strong morals, unless it applies to the party you favor (which is, of course, immoral behaviour, as morals are not subjective).

Future Shock
Why can't I say they are trivia? In my opinion, they are trivia. Quite possibly lies, certainly not proven to be. I can point multiple logical conclusions that would make them "not lies".

I never claimed to have strong morals either, rather that I have a good sense of right and wrong.

Great thread for questioning someones behavior based on partisanship though :thumbsup:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: kage69
*bump*

Maybe alchemize thinks being a hypocrite is inconsequential as well?

Depends who is the hypocrite. There are plenty of inconsequential hypocrites on this inconsquential board.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

In Alchemize's world there is no difference between right and wrong, truth and lies, good and evil? He lives in a moral black hole along with Bush/Cheney and company.