It looks like Valve's push into Linux is moving right along

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/06/steam-linux-beta/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Steam Linux beta client now available with 25-game library
Tweet
Comments 21 Omri Petitte at 10:04pm November 6 2012

Hopeful applicants of Valve’s Linux testing survey have much to rejoice today as a limited-access beta client for Steam’s Linux version awaits testing starting today. Valve’s official announcement states the studio received over 60,000 entries for its request for testers, and a slowly increasing group of players will receive access to the client going forward.

Steam Linux operates on Ubuntu 12.04. “An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” Steam Linux team member Frank Crockett wrote. “We intend to support additional popular distros in the future, and we’ll prioritize development for these based on user feedback.”

Team Fortress 2 leads the pack of two dozen games available for Linux users which is viewable from the client itself. Valve still seeks more testers for future Linux betas, so head over to the survey page if you’re interested.

Meanwhile, GOG’s Trevor Longino recently criticized Valve for supporting only one distro. While GOG doesn’t yet have Linux support, Longino says “…we want to try to get it where the majority of gamers, if they’re on Linux, will be able to get a game and expect it works.”

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Delivers-Massive-Performance-Boost-to-Linux-Gaming-8ac.aspx
NVIDIA Delivers Massive Performance Boost To Linux Gaming
Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NVIDIA today announced the latest NVIDIA® GeForce® drivers -- R310 -- double the performance(1) and dramatically reduce game loading times for those gaming on the Linux operating system.
The result of almost a year of development by NVIDIA, Valve and other game developers, the new GeForce R310 drivers are designed to give GeForce customers the best possible Linux-based PC gaming experience -- and showcase the enormous potential of the world's biggest open-source operating system.

Available for download at www.geforce.com, the new R310 drivers were also thoroughly tested with Steam for Linux, the extension of Valve's phenomenally popular Steam gaming platform that officially opened to gamers starting today.

I can't quite figure out how I want to deal with this. I guess it all depends on how Windows 8 ends up being. They aren't going to want a digital store inside of their own digital store. I have a feeling that they are slowly going to try to phase out the desktop as a legacy item. It could destroy 3rd party businesses altogether.

I'll keep on Windows 7 until things pan out or until I'm forced to change. I'm starting to get the feeling that eventually I'll be using an Ubuntu box for gaming. It sounds nice to me, they will probably lose a lot of their market to people who don't want to use Linux though... which I'm assuming Valve has a plan for that under what everybody calls the supposed Valve Box.

This leaves me wondering what businesses are going to be using down the road. Is it possible to support everything that everybody needs to do on tablet-like platforms? Something is going to have to fill the gap... whatever does will probably support gaming as well, leaving this valve box obsolete?

Maybe I'm misinformed, but I can't wrap my head around it all yet.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
I guess it all depends on how Windows 8 ends up being.
More like Windows 9. 8 is not closed enough yet.
It sounds nice to me, they will probably lose a lot of their market to people who don't want to use Linux though...
Windows XP lasted for a long time so it might not be that bad.
Is it possible to support everything that everybody needs to do on tablet-like platforms?
Nah... Microsoft is this bold not because of some tablet. Microsoft has Xbox. Gaming is now more tiered and niches are already filled with iOS and Android.
whatever does will probably support gaming as well, leaving this valve box obsolete?
I doubt "Valve box" will be as closed as consoles are. Closer to PCs and somewhat Android-like.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Not sure how feasible or practical it'd be but perhaps Valve should just make their own "for games & distribution" operating system altogether. What I don't understand is just how could (or does it right now if it does) Windows 8 itself as an OS - regardless of how good or badly it performs, or how good or badly it is perceived by the gamers (or the general Windows OS consumers) - actually affects Valve as a business, and affects Steam as a digital product and platform (and software).

I mean, in other words... even if Windows 8 "sucks" because it's streamlined and the GUI is so different (or so "bad") and so on then even that shouldn't affect Steam or Valve as a company. No? I'm no expert about business generally but... I just don't get it. Is Valve "afraid" that its Steam users/consumers would suddenly move (by the millions) over to Windows 8 within the next few months and that would mean the end of Valve or Steam (thus, Valve) as we know it? Is Valve doing their "we don't want to touch Windows 8 with a million light-years long pole" move because Windows 8 itself somehow represents a threat to them or their employees and the market they're fishing in?

Let's put it this way then, why is it that Valve even cares about anything regarding Windows 8? I genuinely want to understand that and I know someone out there can explain me properly why, and how is it that they (or even "just" Gabe himself) wants to go "third party OS" rebel mode "against" Windows 8, or Microsoft as a whole (who knows). I mean I myself am still using Vista, most now use Windows 7, there's like what... 2 or 3% of Valve's players base (call them "consumers" if you want) using Windows 8? Is that a problem already on its own or something?

Bah... business stuff...

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Not sure how feasible or practical it'd be but perhaps Valve should just make their own "for games & distribution" operating system altogether. What I don't understand is just how could (or does it right now if it does) Windows 8 itself as an OS - regardless of how good or badly it performs, or how good or badly it is perceived by the gamers (or the general Windows OS consumers) - actually affects Valve as a business, and affects Steam as a digital product and platform (and software).

I mean, in other words... even if Windows 8 "sucks" because it's streamlined and the GUI is so different (or so "bad") and so on then even that shouldn't affect Steam or Valve as a company. No? I'm no expert about business generally but... I just don't get it. Is Valve "afraid" that its Steam users/consumers would suddenly move (by the millions) over to Windows 8 within the next few months and that would mean the end of Valve or Steam (thus, Valve) as we know it? Is Valve doing their "we don't want to touch Windows 8 with a million light-years long pole" move because Windows 8 itself somehow represents a threat to them or their employees and the market they're fishing in?

Let's put it this way then, why is it that Valve even cares about anything regarding Windows 8? I genuinely want to understand that and I know someone out there can explain me properly why, and how is it that they (or even "just" Gabe himself) wants to go "third party OS" rebel mode "against" Windows 8, or Microsoft as a whole (who knows). I mean I myself am still using Vista, most now use Windows 7, there's like what... 2 or 3% of Valve's players base (call them "consumers" if you want) using Windows 8? Is that a problem already on its own or something?

Bah... business stuff...

Windows 8 isn't the issue at all, the Windows Store is.
Gabe is afraid of competition, so he's expanding to a place with zero competition where Steam can be the de facto leader.

If developers want to sell games through the Microsoft store, they might be unsable to use Steam as DRM, I'm not sure, which means less people tied to Steam/Valve, which means less money for Valve.

Gabe is just trying to start a new route for making money by promoting gaming on Linux. It's a purely selfish exercise in order to ensure he can keep making money from other people's games.

Steam works without any issue or change on Windows 8, and nothing about Steam + Windows 8 is different to Steam + Windows 7 or Steam + Vista. The only change is that now there is another route which consumers will be pushed to, which is Microsoft's own distribution.

And most developers seem to be ignoring the political and legal aspect of Microsoft + Antitrust, and talking about hypothetical situations which seem incredibly unlikely to come to pass while Windows is relevant.

Last edited:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Ah, I see now.

Well yeah it's pretty much a move to make sure that the usual business remains business as usual. As you said, selfish from Gabe but... merely from a business viewpoint is something understandable, even if one wouldn't "like" that move or not. Well anyway, if Gabe is happier like that and it ensures that Valve keeps going then good... all I want is Half-Life 3.

Thanks for the clarifications Lonyo.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Hey, it's pretty cool to see a developer putting effort into creating a new market. In the past, Linux has failed because it's been one off games on the platform. This time Valve is launching with an entire suite of games and a unified platform to run and distribute them.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Windows 8 isn't the issue at all, the Windows Store is. Gabe is afraid of competition, so he's expanding to a place with zero competition where Steam can be the de facto leader.
Not exactly.
In Windows 8 "Metro"(did MS drop the name already?) interface is primary, desktop is secondary and is, basically, an app ran from "Metro"/Start screen. Windows 8 RT does not support desktop apps and, I think, MS said that some of the system resources are only available to more "native" "metro"-apps.
Sure, Steam works with W8 just fine. But what about W9 or W10? Waiting to find out would not be very smart. Add to the mix Valve's console ambitions and "fear of the competition" factor becomes much smaller.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Not exactly.
In Windows 8 "Metro"(did MS drop the name already?) interface is primary, desktop is secondary and is, basically, an app ran from "Metro"/Start screen. Windows 8 RT does not support desktop apps and, I think, MS said that some of the system resources are only available to more "native" "metro"-apps.
Sure, Steam works with W8 just fine. But what about W9 or W10? Waiting to find out would not be very smart. Add to the mix Valve's console ambitions and "fear of the competition" factor becomes much smaller.

If Microsoft breaks legacy support with Windows 9 or 10, there will be minimal reason for anyone to purchase them, especially big business.
There will also be a lot of money to pay in fines and litigation to the EU, and probably other places too, if they make Windows 9 or 10 on x86 a walled garden.
If you want to talk hypotheticals, the hypotheticals for Microsoft NOT preventing Steam for working are much stronger than those for preventing Steam from working.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/06/steam-linux-beta/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/NVIDIA-Delivers-Massive-Performance-Boost-to-Linux-Gaming-8ac.aspx

I can't quite figure out how I want to deal with this. I guess it all depends on how Windows 8 ends up being. They aren't going to want a digital store inside of their own digital store. I have a feeling that they are slowly going to try to phase out the desktop as a legacy item. It could destroy 3rd party businesses altogether.

I'll keep on Windows 7 until things pan out or until I'm forced to change. I'm starting to get the feeling that eventually I'll be using an Ubuntu box for gaming. It sounds nice to me, they will probably lose a lot of their market to people who don't want to use Linux though... which I'm assuming Valve has a plan for that under what everybody calls the supposed Valve Box.

This leaves me wondering what businesses are going to be using down the road. Is it possible to support everything that everybody needs to do on tablet-like platforms? Something is going to have to fill the gap... whatever does will probably support gaming as well, leaving this valve box obsolete?

Maybe I'm misinformed, but I can't wrap my head around it all yet.

Windows8 is an even better gaming platform than 7 was.. and I love 7..

metro can be turned off completely almost using aftermarket programs but still keeping the speed increase of the faster OS.

LINUX is great for webservers.. but aside from the uber ultra geeks out there it will never gain market.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I'm excited about this. I'd definitely buy games on Linux if I could since Ubuntu is what I use at home. I play Quake Live on my Ubuntu box and that rocks so the potential is there.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003

Bah... business stuff...

You also have to consider that MS are going to be taking royalties in their app store; Valve also gets royalties for selling games. You take MS's 30% royalties or whatever (to have Steam in the windows store) and then pile on Valve's royalties and it's probably leaving the game developer with nothing for profit. It just can't be done. It's a store within a store.

With the desktop possibly becoming legacy in the future it's going to take Steam right out of the market. I don't think it has as much to do with Valve wanting 'full control' as it does Valve even having a store front to sell games.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
I can't believe any one is calling Gabe greedy. If it was not for him we would not have all these killer deals and tons of games at cheap prices. Anything the will keep steam alive I'm all for it. Look at how many businesses have died because they did not evolved to keep up with the changes that came a long. Look at boarders they never went digital and just sat back before it was to late. The smart people are always looking to stay ahead.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Valve is looking ahead, beyond Windows 8. It appears as if Microsoft is moving towards making traditional desktop legacy material. Who's to say that Windows 10 or the next Windows after that won't require all applications to come through the store (and be forced to give a cut)? Valve would rather not be forced into following Microsoft's decisions, and I would be doing exactly what they are. It's in their best interests to not be dependent on other companies for your core business. You can't rest on your laurels and just take stuff like Windows/Microsoft for granted. Not when you run a multi billion dollar company.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Windows 8 isn't the issue at all, the Windows Store is.
Gabe is afraid of competition,

LOL! In fair competition, MS sucks while Steam runs circles around them. Microsoft has already proven how badly they suck when it comes to the PC with Games for Window Live.

It's that MS is going to start unfair competition, which is what Gabe is wisely preparing for.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
LOL! In fair competition, MS sucks while Steam runs circles around them. Microsoft has already proven how badly they suck when it comes to the PC with Games for Window Live.

It's that MS is going to start unfair competition, which is what Gabe is wisely preparing for.

No more unfair than any other OS maker. I think almost all, if not all of them have a marketplace built into the OS. Ubuntu not only has one but is also now selling your search data. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

I'm personally glad that someone with some muscle is looking at porting stuff over to Linux, it's long overdue.

Last edited:

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
The bottom line is Xbox should have been the service that unified console and PC gaming. Instead they dithered and dithered while Steam prospered. MS made so many excuses why Xbox had to be console. They must only recruit ADD Marketing people because they had no vision. Now MS is playing catch like mad and Gabe has caught on to them.

Go Steam Go. Linux all the way, Gabe.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Valve started beta-testing.
You don't have to have an invite to play non-Valve games. Valve games check for beta participation.
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/12qs6z/steam_for_linux_its_here_deb_in_the_link/
The bottom line is Xbox should have been the service that unified console and PC gaming. Instead they dithered and dithered while Steam prospered.
MS decided to bet on monthly subscription for Live instead of dominating PC market?.. I don't know if I'm happy or sad about it.

Last edited:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
few pc gamers are buyin what ms is selling
gfwl was a disgrace
no interest in xbl pc services whatsoever
steam didnt make steam big,ppl did bc they got it right
if it were up tp ms im sure id be paying $15 per for the priveledge of playing a $60 game
with ma $15 dlc and dumb shit.
so im glad to see this
bc valve can actually make games and a service at a value

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I can't believe any one is calling Gabe greedy. If it was not for him we would not have all these killer deals and tons of games at cheap prices. Anything the will keep steam alive I'm all for it. Look at how many businesses have died because they did not evolved to keep up with the changes that came a long. Look at boarders they never went digital and just sat back before it was to late. The smart people are always looking to stay ahead.

Its really pathetic that people do that and call themselves PC gamers, if they knew anything about the platform they are using and the companies developing for it they would know valve is one of the best things to happen in gaming and as of yet have done nothing to hurt PC gaming, unlike some others i could name *cough* EA *cough*

Anyways i have tried out various *buntus and really the only things keeping me off linux are company of heros 2 and compatibility with some older games (alpha centauri wont work with wine :(), the other big RTS coming out planetary annihilation will have linux support so thats good. Im hoping this catches on because i dont like where windows is going and would prefer to jump ship.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Gaming is the one thing holding me back from switching to linux.

I hope valve can port steam to linux in the wake of windows 8.

With the desktop possibly becoming legacy in the future it's going to take Steam right out of the market. I don't think it has as much to do with Valve wanting 'full control' as it does Valve even having a store front to sell games.

The desktop is on the edge of being legacy now.

Its just a matter of time before tablets take over desktop sales

ipad mini sold 3 million over a weekend, when was the last time a desktop sold 3 million units over a weekend?

Got a teenager? Why buy a desktop or laptop? Why not buy them a tablet and keyboard?

As people move away from windows and desktops, maybe they will be more open to linux

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Until the games themselves are actually Linux compatible Steam being Linux compatible really isn't going to be that significant. It might encourage more games to be Linux compatible, but it's really a small piece of the puzzle.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The desktop is on the edge of being legacy now.
Desktops are not going away for a very long time, if ever. There is a huge number of companies that don't even issue laptops yet, and you want them to adopt tablets? Not going to happen.

(I'm typing this on a Dell desktop running an E7500 with 2 gig of memory and Windows XP.)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Until the games themselves are actually Linux compatible Steam being Linux compatible really isn't going to be that significant. It might encourage more games to be Linux compatible, but it's really a small piece of the puzzle.

With every kickstarted game basically required to have Linux support, I think we are going to see that come as well. At the least in 2-3 years time we are going to have a good batch of Linux games come out.