It looks like the FX Ultra really is dead!!

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Got this from www.hardocp.com

GFFX Ultra No More:
As we noted here Thursday, the GeForceFX 5800 Ultra will never make it to retail. Those of you that PreBuy the cards will still get an Ultra model with the FX Flow cooling unit. Those who don't will have the opportunity to get the non-Ultra version (400/800) off the retail shelves for a price of US$300.00 although the price is not confirmed.

Anyone have a working Voodoo5 6000 they want to trade for a working v1.1 GFFX 5800 Ultra? Drop me a line.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Yep, just saw that at HardOCP.

I guess the complaints about the cooler really told Nvidia to back off.

Though I am sure you can find OEM's of it on Newegg or whatever.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think its Nvidia admitting defeat for the NV30 as much as they are delaying the fight. Everyone knew the price/performance/quality ratio vs the r300-r350 was a no brainer. Looks like they'll concentrate on the NV35 from this point on.

Xentropy

Sep 6, 2002
I just hope GFFX's clocked at 500/1000 from board partners who've designed quieter cooling solutions (like Gainward) still make it to market. A quiet FX is still 20% faster than a 9700, and some of us are willing to spend the premium to get the fastest thing out there, just not willing to put up with the noise of the original design.

daction

Nov 18, 2000
I hope this means NV35 is going to take it's place shortly after to compete with ATI's 9900. This statement from Jen Hsun Huang makes me think so:

"Tiger Woods doesn't win every day. We don't deny that ATI has a wonderful product and it took the performance lead from us. But if they think they're going to hold onto it, they're smoking something hallucinogenic."

Revealed the competition is..... begun the graphics wars have..... :p

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Interesting, this is almost tantamount to admitting ATi has won this round.
From the consumer perspective this may be a hidden benefit in that they have less reason to hold back on the NV35 now, so it may just appear a bit sooner then expected.

I wonder whether any third party manufacturers will still attempt to push them onto the market in limited numbers?
It seems for now the only guaranteed way of obtaining one will be to pre-order while it's still viable.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
so it is ****confirmed****

and in other news

Steaming Pile:
I thought I might note this as many of you keep sending it to me. Xbitlabs is reporting information on the "Radeon 9900" and "Radeon 9900 Pro". Just to give you a heads up, nearly all the "facts" they have posted are wrong. They should go back to stealing benchmarks, which they seem to do often, at least they can copy and paste those correctly.
:Q

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
They must have something else almost ready to go. There's no way you can just eat that much of a dead loss on R&D and not put anything on the market for a whole generation. I can only assume this means other chips in the NV3x family will be forthcoming sooner rather than later.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
You really have to wonder who was the genius at Nvidia that thought the Ultra's fan was a good idea. Which leads to the question, how bad a performer will the non-ultra version be. It sure looked to me like from the reviews that Nvidia sacrificed image quality and added an oversized fan to try to create the speed that their design lacked.

DillonStorm

Jan 30, 2003
I just hope GFFX's clocked at 500/1000 from board partners who've designed quieter cooling solutions (like Gainward) still make it to market. A quiet FX is still 20% faster than a 9700, and some of us are willing to spend the premium to get the fastest thing out there, just not willing to put up with the noise of the original design.

I doont think you get it. The quiet fan was just the quieter in 2D version that hardocp talked about. There are no magical Nv30's at the end of the rainbow. If Nvidia could make a Quiter solution, dont you think they would have??? or do your really think that Gainward have better *fan engineers* Than Nvidia.....

And that is total nonsese about the GFFX ultra being 20% faster.. Didn't you read anand's review? or hardocp? when you equalize (as best you can, Nv30's FSAA is a joke) the IQ the Nv30 went down like this..

-4x FSAA on R300 is 30 FPS faster than GFFX 6xs
-6x FSAA on R300 is 40 FPS faster than GFFX 8xs
-2x FSAA on R300 is 20 FPS faster than GFFX 4x

Just go look at the UT 2003 pics at hardocp and see for yourself.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: SexyK
They must have something else almost ready to go. There's no way you can just eat that much of a dead loss on R&D and not put anything on the market for a whole generation.

They are putting a product out, the GF FX 5800 is still going to sell, it's only the 'Ultra' model that's been canceled.
PowerColour has removed the 'Ultra' and dropped the specs on their FX to 400/800 on their page, so it seems at least a few 3rd party manufacturers have already moved to accede to nVidia's cancelation of the FX 5800 Ultra.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Rand
Originally posted by: SexyK
They must have something else almost ready to go. There's no way you can just eat that much of a dead loss on R&D and not put anything on the market for a whole generation.

They are putting a product out, the GF FX 5800 is still going to sell, it's only the 'Ultra' model that's been canceled.
PowerColour has removed the 'Ultra' and dropped the specs on their FX to 400/800 on their page, so it seems at least a few 3rd party manufacturers have already moved to accede to nVidia's cancelation of the FX 5800 Ultra.

that and they can always slash prices and flood oem market with lower end fx chips :) very top end is enthusiast market.

if nvidia can sell a budget fx that can beat ati's budget.. well i'll be sold like many others.

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
if nvidia can release the 5800 for less than $230 in less than 3 weeks, then i will buy one. if, if if,

ASIMOS

Dec 6, 2002
It seems after all that Nvidia at last found a way to satisfy all who had problems with FX cooling system.
They gave a great solution to the problem, a permanent one.

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
First time I've ever considered an ATI card for a while....this is just getting better and better. R350 or NV35? Upgrade time for me when Doom3 ships. :)

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
The ultra was so overclocked and expensive to implement that nvidia knew it would have to cut its losses and concede the speed crown once again. Its alot cheaper to sell it at a more capable 400mhz with a more realistic cooling solution than to hand pick overclockable cores and attaching an exotic and expensive cooling solution.

SniperWulf

Golden Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm guessing nVidia's yeilds at that speed grade were no where near what they expected, so they are just binning them to make non-Ultra parts

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Shagga
First time I've ever considered an ATI card for a while....this is just getting better and better. R350 or NV35? Upgrade time for me when Doom3 ships. :)

Might be, "which is better, R400 or NV35?"