It is time...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Fair enough, but previously you said you would prefer to have Congress and the Presidency held by different parties. If you vote dem for Congress, you should vote rep for President to help accomplish this goal.

Yes, that's why I'm pretty certain I'll be voting for Democrat for any House seats, Republican for any Senate seats, and both Democrat and Republican for state assembly/senate races.

Up to you, though, I honestly not care if you do not vote for the president...the local election are far more important to your daily life anyway.

I agree. Fortunately WI is no longer under Republican majorities in both chambers of the legislature with Walker in the governor's seat.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I've always thought of you as a closet Republican when it comes to most issues other than gay rights. Conservative gays are needed in the party to change it from within. Romney is far from perfect...but he will likely be very focused on our fiscal/regulatory issues if elected. Obama has already shown us that he is a weak and ineffective leader in these areas. Time for a change.

LCRs and GOProud gays are going to be no more effective in changing the party from within than Blue Dog Democrats have been.

Fiscally conservative gays aren't going to come out in bigger numbers for the GOP until or unless the GOP starts recognizing and treating the socially conservative base of the party for what it is: a minority it can no longer afford to submit to.

There's an analog to that in the Democratic party, of course, as well.

What we have, instead, is two parties.. who have an duopoly on political power.. that are moving further and further apart. I suppose it will reach a tipping point where too many people on both sides become alienated and demand moderation, but unfortunately I don't think we're anywhere near that point.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

What we have, instead, is two parties.. who have an duopoly on political power.. that are moving further and further apart. ...
It's statements like this that make we wonder if you are even paying attention. Obama is criticized for being Bush part 2 (even by you IIRC), yet you seem to be stating that the Dems are what? Moving further to the left? /facepalm

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
It's statements like this that make we wonder if you are even paying attention. Obama is criticized for being Bush part 2 (even by you IIRC), yet you seem to be stating that the Dems are what? Moving further to the left? /facepalm

Not further apart ideologically, necessarily, but further apart in terms of willingness to compromise and "meet in the middle".

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Not further apart ideologically, necessarily, but further apart in terms of willingness to compromise and "meet in the middle".
Well, you have one party going absolutely crazy. Even if you think the Dems are shit, you have to admit that the GOP has gone way off the deep end. Why would compromising with a crazy party be seen as a good thing?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Why would compromising with a crazy party be seen as a good thing?

That's a question asked only by those who are staunchly with their "team" and against everyone else.

Zealous ideologues think only their team is relatively sane... and never see any sanity on the other team.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I'm cynical when there's good reason for it. Yes there are always going to be morons, but that doesn't mean there's no value in calling them out as such from time to time.

I also think anyone who votes for either Romney or Obama this November is a moron.

Shrug. I find that I'm cynical because I'm looking for reasons to be cynical. I find I'm happy when I can find something for which I am grateful.

Regarding voting, I guess we're screwed no matter what. We can vote for Obama or Romney and be a moron, or we can vote for someone else and be useless.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Only if he's a democrat. :)
There are plenty of independents that think that the GOP has gone off the deep end. There are plenty of "independents" that think those same people are now Democrats because of it.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
There are plenty of independents that think that the GOP has gone off the deep end. There are plenty of "independents" that think those same people are now Democrats because of it.

A cursory google seems to indicate that independents in general are leaning right.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't think they're moving to the right. On fiscal and regulatory matters they're moving to the left.
Like when they offered up $4 worth of spending cuts in exchange for every $1 worth of tax increases?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Like when they offered up $4 worth of spending cuts in exchange for every $1 worth of tax increases?

Yes. They could've offered $100 in spending cuts for every $1 in tax increases, it doesn't matter. They knew the Republicans wouldn't go for it. It was just a political stunt.