It is God's plan that our soldiers are sent to Iraq

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bwatkins

Sep 2, 2008
I don't care what happens I'm still voting for Hillary, if you believe in freedom and the american way of life you will do the same

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
No surprises here, god is the ultimate capitalist, you should see his portfolio, diversified up the wazzou.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Bwatkins
I don't care what happens I'm still voting for Hillary, if you believe in freedom and the american way of life you will do the same

Wrong thread. Wrong forum? Wrong website?

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: racolvin
Hmmm ... small problem with that quote. It's attributed to Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath, where he says that George said this. The White House denies it ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4317498.stm
The White House Press Secretary denies something? Someone alert the media.

lol .. I understand the sentiment :) However, had the reporter been in the room and heard it directly, I'd give it more credence. Since it came from the mouth of a Palestinian negotiator claiming that GWB said something in favor of getting a Palestinian state that involved evoking God as the impetus to that ... well, I'm a bit more skeptical of that source :)

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Farang
I can almost get over the war being God's will, that is just taking your patriotism too far and if you think we're doing the right thing over there for humanity then I suppose you could quantify it that way. But it is downright scary that she puts her other pet projects in the "God's will" category.

For the love of god, get over yourselves, now the USA is gods country? (i can't realise how you could come to the conclusion that cheering for gods will is patriotism)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
I can almost get over the war being God's will, that is just taking your patriotism too far and if you think we're doing the right thing over there for humanity then I suppose you could quantify it that way. But it is downright scary that she puts her other pet projects in the "God's will" category.

For the love of god, get over yourselves, now the USA is gods country? (i can't realise how you could come to the conclusion that cheering for gods will is patriotism)
It's not, it's idiocy.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

You completely misinterpreted what I said. I can see someone taking what they think is a righteous act of fighting evil and then mixing that up with being God's will. I'm not saying I agree with it. Mixing an oil pipeline with being God's will is a little more insane.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Bwatkins

Welcome to last year. :p

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: GTKeeper
You know what is ironic?

If our government actually honored separation of church and state and candidates/parties stayed away from religion influencing their policies, things like this wouldn't be very important.

But I think its quite scary that this woman can quantify what is God's will to begin with. Especially something as TRIVIAL as building a damn pipe-line.

I think this is quickly going to become a bad choice for McCain.

I'll need to read it again to find that section.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: WHAMPOM
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Judas Iscariot believed he was doing God's will.

But "Doing God's will" is just a way to deny responsibility. Isn't it just people blaming little voices in their heads for what they really want to do?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

I will not claim that all persons of faith use the 'crutch' but there is a segment of 'true believers' who feel their life is mapped out by a superior being and their life is so determined in a struggle between good and evil beings.

Little Bobby hit a home run: God's will be done.
I screwed my neighbor's wife: It was the devil acting through me.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

But "Doing God's will" is just a way to deny responsibility. Isn't it just people blaming little voices in their heads for what they really want to do?

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit the radical Islamic fundies are feeding their sheep when they send them out to kill us? :shocked:

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit Christians fed their sheep when they sent them out to conquer the world?

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit the nazis fed their sheep to kill Jews?

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit the KKK uses to justify thier murderous hate crimes?

Whoever, whatever and wherever your ding dong deity, you're entitled to your beliefs, but it's not an excuse for anyone's deadly insanity, most of all OUR OWN.

Jun 26, 2007

You completely misinterpreted what I said. I can see someone taking what they think is a righteous act of fighting evil and then mixing that up with being God's will. I'm not saying I agree with it. Mixing an oil pipeline with being God's will is a little more insane.

I misinterpreted nothing, you said that "the war being God's will, that is just taking your patriotism too far", you even quoted it yourself with your post.

A bigger man would have admitted he mis-spoke.

Insanity doesn't have degrees, not really, insanity is a state, you're either in it or you're not, if you are, delusions are coming, delusions don't have a scale either.

Except for those who are afflicted with them and judging others from their point of view.

However, i don't see you as insane or delusional, i see you as someone who just can't admit that he mis-spoke and is doing his best to bury himself so deep that his true intent by the first post will never be known.

Don't DO that. ;)

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Harvey

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit the radical Islamic fundies are feeding their sheep when they send them out to kill us? :shocked:

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit Christians fed their sheep when they sent them out to conquer the world?

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit the nazis fed their sheep to kill Jews?

Isn't that just the same kind of bullshit the KKK uses to justify thier murderous hate crimes?

Whoever, whatever and wherever your ding dong deity, you're entitled to your beliefs, but it's not an excuse for anyone's deadly insanity, most of all OUR OWN.

There are few things that i enjoy more than when my brother brings his war hammer to the teenage party.

BAM!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
By the way, I happen to think it was God's will that we don't vote Republican this year. You know how I know? Gustav. Why else would God send a raging hurricane right at the RNC? That's right: God hates Republicans.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

I misinterpreted nothing, you said that "the war being God's will, that is just taking your patriotism too far", you even quoted it yourself with your post.

Insanity doesn't have degrees, not really, insanity is a state, you're either in it or you're not, if you are, delusions are coming, delusions don't have a scale either.

Except for those who are afflicted with them and judging others from their point of view.

However, i don't see you as insane or delusional, i see you as someone who just can't admit that he mis-spoke and is doing his best to bury himself so deep that his true intent by the first post will never be known.

Don't DO that. ;)

I didn't misspeak, and when I corrected myself I just made my terms more clear so you couldn't so easily muddle them up. "Taking your patriotism to far" by thinking that what you believe your country is doing is right and against evil and therefore is God's will. It has nothing to do with the USA being God's country, other nationalities often get overzealous in the same way, sometimes without doing so maliciously.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
By the way, I happen to think it was God's will that we don't vote Republican this year. You know how I know? Gustav. Why else would God send a raging hurricane right at the RNC? That's right: God hates Republicans.

Oh you mean how Katrina was punishment for gays?

You know, they burned an awful lot of witches ~1500AD in europe because the catholic church was told by god that they were the cause of the extremely harsh winters they were experiencing at that time.

I'm glad to see certain people are still in that game, third oldest profession - prostitution, pimping, deity spokesman - in that order.

Jun 26, 2007

Don't DO that. ;)

I didn't misspeak, and when I corrected myself.

I just deleted the rest of your explanations how you did not misspeak by contracting this part, if you did not misspeak then why correct yourself?

This is getting daft and you can explain it to someone else, i threw you a bit of rope, you should have just taken it.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: ayabe

You know, they burned an awful lot of witches ~1500AD in europe because the catholic church was told by god that they were the cause of the extremely harsh winters they were experiencing at that time.

I'm glad to see certain people are still in that game, third oldest profession - prostitution, pimping, deity spokesman - in that order.

Turnabout is fair play. :D

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Don't DO that. ;)

I just deleted the rest of your explanations how you did not misspeak by contracting this part, if you did not misspeak then why correct yourself?

This is getting daft and you can explain it to someone else, i threw you a bit of rope, you should have just taken it.

You know you're a bit arrogant for someone whose words are devoid of all content.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Whenever I hear someone invoking God as an excuse to do something I tend to cringe inside but I weep when it's someone vying for a high position in government. As someone else noted in another post in this thread that sometimes these people who use deities to explain their actions tend to also use it as a crutch to justify absolutely horrible behavior. If there is a God then I am pretty sure he/she/it is pretty pissed off at being used as an excuse for sociopaths to behave like assholes.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Everytime I drive through McDonalds, I say to the cashier "This is God's will!"

And it totally makes me and the cashier feel so much better

Otherwise I cry in the fetal position holding my fat rolls and the cashier is depressed about her crappy job

Jun 26, 2007

Don't DO that. ;)

You know you're a bit arrogant for someone whose words are devoid of all content.

I'm not "a bit" arrogant towards you, i know your type, you keep on talking, explaining away your own mistakes, i don't have time for your bullsheit.

When you are wrong, admit it, i can do that and i have done that, when i'm not, i'll stand by my word but not by stupid arse explanations about how i really didn't mean what i clearly said.

Stop fucking doing that, it's stupid and you'll lose respect, you either stand by your words or you admit you're wrong, oh, and this is a suggestion, it's hard for me to NOT say these things as and order but it's not appreciated and i can understand that.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe

While I was (mostly) kidding, the truly scary thing is that Palin and other GOP'ers are dead serious.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Don't DO that. ;)

I'm not "a bit" arrogant towards you, i know your type, you keep on talking, explaining away your own mistakes, i don't have time for your bullsheit.

When you are wrong, admit it, i can do that and i have done that, when i'm not, i'll stand by my word but not by stupid arse explanations about how i really didn't mean what i clearly said.

Stop fucking doing that, it's stupid and you'll lose respect, you either stand by your words or you admit you're wrong, oh, and this is a suggestion, it's hard for me to NOT say these things as and order but it's not appreciated and i can understand that.

What you don't seem to get is that I am standing by my words, I guess all of them except for that "correct" bit which I did misspeak and meant to say "and when I explained myself." There aren't any inconsistencies in what I originally said and what I later "explained." The bit about the USA being God's country, for example, that you got so worked up over, I never said any of that.

If I could give your type it'd be someone who likes to play "gotcha" over nothing in particular just to think of yourself a smart guy. Really everything you've said is completely useless in producing a worthwhile discussion, you're just trying to call me out when there is nothing there to be called out.