It HERE! "The Fight!"

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
just got my DVD of Hearns vs Haggler!

History of the fight!

HAGLER VS. HEARNS
APRIL 15, 1985
MARVIN HAGLER KOS TOMMY HEARNS IN 3 ROUNDS - CONSIDERED THE GREATEST SHORT FIGHT IN BOXING HISTORY.
It took just eight minutes?three rounds?for this fight to be indelibly etched into the history books. It was billed simply as "The Fight" in 1985. Today, many boxing historians have changed that slightly, to "THE Fight." "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler (60-2-2, 50 KOs) was the defending World Middleweight Champion. Tommy "The Hit Man" Hearns (40-1, 36KOs) was the reigning Junior Middleweight Champion, moving up a weight class. Both fighters had built their reputations on punching power. So this head-on collision had the potential to be a slugfest.

Although Hearns was moving up, no one questioned his power. For instance, Hagler had gone 15 grueling rounds with the legendary Roberto Duran, while Hearns KO?d Duran in two rounds. The strategic wild cards in the fight were Hagler being a southpaw?always a difficult proposition for a traditional righty--and Hagler?s almost superhuman ability to take a punch. No matter what tactics the fighters employed, people were prepared for an outstanding bout.

But no one was prepared for what they saw in Round One. This was the infamous non-stop slugging round that has been nominated as the best single round in boxing history. It was like a full-scale brawl in a phone booth. Hearns caught Hagler with a right cross, then a follow-up flurry that instantly buckled the champ?s knees. Hagler came back with a vengeance, staggering Hearns. Hearns unleashed bone-rattling shots to drive Hagler back. Hagler responded with neck-snapping power of his own. By the end of the round, Hagler was cut, Hearns was dazed, and the crowd was delirious.

In the second, Hagler began to take control, but Hearns managed to open two severe cuts, one on Hagler?s forehead, another beneath his right eye. Referee Richard Steele, hesitant to stop this epic war, asked Hagler if he could see. Hagler replied, "I ain?t missin? him, am I?" Still, Hagler was in trouble. If the cuts worsened, the fight would have to be stopped.

The blistering pace of the first round picked up again in the third. Hearns hit Hagler with a shot, a demolishing right, that split the cut wider. But Hagler, reknowned for the strength of his chin, didn?t move. He shook it off, and kept on coming. Hagler found Hearns with a savage right hook, wobbling "The Hit Man". Hearns was staggering, Hagler chasing. He caught Hearns again with a final right hook to drive Hearns to the canvas. Hearns beat the count but was unable to defend himself. This time, Richard Steele stopped the bout, ending eight minutes of the most titanic action the boxing world has ever witnessed.

The epic battle may have had a larger effect on the winner. Marvin Hagler would only fight twice more in his career, losing his last career bout two years later in a controversial split decision against Sugar Ray Leonard. When Leonard refused to give him a rematch, Hagler hung up the gloves. Hearns continued to fight well into the ?90?s, winning titles as a middleweight, light heavyweight, and cruiserweight. Both Hearns and Hagler had re-vitalized boxing that night, when they proved to the world that a middleweight fight could generate the power surge of a heavyweight event.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
My mother used to know Haggler, when I was born he autographed a picture for me with my name on it saying congrats... or something along those lines, I haven't looked at it in a while.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
<---Detroiter, and Hagler-Hearns fight was at a time in my life when I was a very big fight fan.

I'm way too bias to think it was anything but the greatest eight minutes in sports.