It has been 3 months now

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
without WoW as of today. I went from 7-9 hours a day playing to Zero overnight. Its been a pretty hard struggle, I have the CD disks and a 60 day game card a friend bought for me on Xmas. They are still on my desk and make the struggle a little more difficult. On at least a dozen occasions I've almost re-installed the game, but the farthest I have gotten is disk 4 so far.

Anyways, in the free time I have now I have accomplished a few things.

- Discovered what bars are again
- Discovered what friends are again
- Got a tan
- Actually started eating real food. Not "What can I make in 5 minutes when I wait for this god damn flight path" food, but real cooked food.
- Realized that as hot as night elves are, real girls are hotter.
- Realized that yes, most of those hot night elves are guys, and without WoW I feel straighter.
- Lost the 60 pounds I had gained when playing WoW
- Took up Basketball and boxing again (sports I quit while playing WoW)
- Applied to University
- Learned what music is again (Since I was only listening to WoW music)
- Watched a sunset/sunrise with friends on the same night/morning
- Moved out of my parents basement
- Traveled to see old friends in my old towns
- Started getting invited back out to things when my friends realized I had stopped sitting in front of my computer killing dragons all day.
- Actually had a conversation with my mom and dad.
- Actually had a conversation with my friends that didn't revolve around WoW
- My acne is gone (It was gone before I started playing WoW too, only came back during WoW)
- Started reading books again
- Realized how fun a midnight jog can be.
- Was able to look around at life and realize how much I had let pass me by in the 3 years I had been addicted to WoW/Diablo2 ect.

So there it is. 3 months. Next goal is 6 than 12 and I will feel I am addiction free. :) Just wanted to share with everyone :beer:

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: RichardE
I have the CD disks
Oh, you mean the kind you put in a PC computer? To install stuff on the HDD drive?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It's amazing the kind of hold a video game can have on people... This is why I've never played a MMORPG. I had my school work suffer in college just from Counterstike and Starcraft on the LAN and single player Diablo 2.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
with that long of a post w/ that much time spent on it, you'd think you could put something in the title that has SOMETHING to do what what it's been 3 months since...

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I never got quite that bad, but I haven't played for a week. I'm probably going to cancel my account next week.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
I took a 6 month break after raiding 3 nights a week 5-7 hours at a shot. Then BC came out and I wanted to see the new environs. I play 20 mins to an hour a day. Never again will I raid. Burning Crusade is slick. Nice upgrade.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I just started playing casually again. I stopped in October when I was raiding nightly from 7pm to 1 am and then falling into bed and getting up 5 hours later dead tired.

I just started playing 2 weeks ago with a couple friends. No guild, no raiding, just casual playing (I re-rolled a night elf after solely playing horde).

Its fun. Level 32 already and just enjoying it. I don't play every day, just when I want to and the kids are in bed. My goal is to hit 70 and go back and solo the dungeons I couldnt do at level 60 like strat, scholo, BRD, BRS, etc. I'm a druid.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
wow, good for you. As much as I love my 360, I'm glad I only play when I have nothing else to do. people don't realize sometimes how much they're missing out when they do nothing else but play video games or stay on the computer.

JohnAn2112

Diamond Member
May 8, 2003
To help with your quitting, I'll offer to buy that 60 day game card from you for a good price. :)

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnAn2112
To help with your quitting, I'll offer to buy that 60 day game card from you for a good price. :)

I want to buy it also!

But seriously I was the same as you except 4 years ago quitting dark age of camelot. I got into WoW again cause I got hit by a car. It is now 1.5 years later and I gained 40 pounds. gg

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Congrats, I haven't quit playing myself, but now it's become more a social thing - I play with friends, maybe a total of 10 hours a week. I haven't even hit 70 yet :p

What did you do to knock off 60 pounds in 3 months if I might ask?

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnAn2112

beat me to the punch

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Humm, WOW on one hand, ATOT on the other... They are both addictive except ATOT is free...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: sdifox
Humm, WOW on one hand, ATOT on the other... They are both addictive except ATOT is free...

not really, it costs you your SANITY!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
It's amazing the kind of hold a video game can have on people... This is why I've never played a MMORPG. I had my school work suffer in college just from Counterstike and Starcraft on the LAN and single player Diablo 2.

it's amazing how much people like to blame external things/factors for their own lack of self control :p

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: leftyman
I quit smoking two years ago.

-I can breathe

This is a real addiction, so props to you :beer:

With respect to WoW, you could just reduce your playing time and do all of that other stuff you mentioned, RichardE.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: leftyman
I quit smoking two years ago.

-I can breathe

This is a real addiction, so props to you :beer:

With respect to WoW, you could just reduce your playing time and do all of that other stuff you mentioned, RichardE.

Video games are fairly serious addictions. I completely agree that they exist in the true meaning of addiction.