IT Admin Locks up San Francisco's Network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: Gand1
And no one knows how to use the multitude of legal password hacker tools that are readily available on the market and for download for free?!?!?!

If the password is long enough it might be next to impossible even if you had a city full of computers at your disposal.
I'm sure there are other ways into the system but of course it requires hiring people to hack the system which costs money. They'll eventually get into it one way or another.

im sure this guy used a pass phrase. which will never be cracked.

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
And no one knows how to use the multitude of legal password hacker tools that are readily available on the market and for download for free?!?!?!

If the password is long enough it might be next to impossible even if you had a city full of computers at your disposal.
I'm sure there are other ways into the system but of course it requires hiring people to hack the system which costs money. They'll eventually get into it one way or another.

As usual ATOT members are known for your calus reactionary postings.... sheesh!

Sorry I just suggested a basic try! I do understand the concept of networking since I used to admin one myself with 6 cores and 100 nodes but hey what do I know.

and I wonder why my post count is so low even though I have been here almost 10 freakin years....

:roll:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Sorry I just suggested a basic try! I do understand the concept of networking since I used to admin one myself with 6 cores and 100 nodes but hey what do I know.

and I wonder why my post count is so low even though I have been here almost 10 freakin years....

you should be a mod already! :)

It is a debate isn't it

I read about this awhile ago. Pretty funny. I can only hope that he put in a batch file to run on his birthday to format all drives on the system! Now that would be funny!

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Watch the city of SF hire a dozen of the best security teams around and the password turns out to be abc or god.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Looks like there is more information coming out telling this guy's side of the story and not looking as Nefrarious as we have been led to believe.

Big surprise....NOT

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Of course you're going to get shit for suggesting what you did. Do you honestly think that they didn't try "the multitude of legal password hacker tools"? Hey, maybe I'll send them an email and let them know that if it's a linux box, they can just boot in single user mode and change the root password. I'm sure no one's thought of that either....:p