Question Issues with mapped network drive

joe360

Oct 3, 2004
I have a Synology DS214se running the latest firmware (6.2.3-25426 Update 2) and I've been having some issues accessing my mapped drive via my desktop (connected via ethernet).

I have mapped 4 drives to 4 different folders on my NAS. I will startup my computer and none of the drivers are connected (which has been normal since day 1). I will click the given drive I want to access and I will get one of 3 errors:

1. Microsoft Windows Network: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again. This connection has not been restored.

2. The local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored.

3. "Z:\" is not accessible. The user name or password is incorrect

In the 3rd example, it doesn't even prompt me to enter my username or password, so I'm really at a lost of that one.

Any ideas on where to begin?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Make sure you don't have physical drive volume drive letters conflict with network drive letters.

You probably have hidden drive (SDcard slot without SD memory ) occupying the drive letter that you want to use

1. disconnect network first
2. unclick hide empty drives in explorer folder options to show hidden drives see if it causes the problem.

Reactions: SamirD

pietpuk

Sep 8, 2020
This is happening since the last windows update to me also.
What I found out now:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\z (driveletter)
In the registry the newest windows adds some info called UseOptions
This was not there before.

If you delete the UseOptions then the next time I can login again.

My other workaround is to save credentials. I don't like this, but if I save the credentials and not have to put them in after a reboot then there is also not a problem.

But both are workarounds that do the trick for me. I am also really interested in a good solution.

I wonder if this solves your problems.....

pietpuk

Sep 8, 2020
For now I made a .bat file to shutdown my computer and be sure the next time my mapped drives can be used. It contains:

REG DELETE HKCU\Network\x /v useOptions /f
REG DELETE HKCU\Network\y /v useOptions /f
REG DELETE HKCU\Network\z /v useOptions /f
shutdown /a

joe360

Oct 3, 2004
Unless you've specified that the drive letter mapping is persistent, you'll get errors.

I've also seen errors when the resource goes away for a while and comes back, ie a reboot.

I made the mapping persistent and it seemed to have resolved the issue! Thank you so much! I find it a bit odd I've been using this NAS setup for about 6 years and although I did occasionally get the above errors, they would just go away randomly. This time they wouldn't go away and occurred with every reboot. But looks to be all good now. Thanks again.

joe360

Oct 3, 2004
Make sure you don't have physical drive volume drive letters conflict with network drive letters.

You probably have hidden drive (SDcard slot without SD memory ) occupying the drive letter that you want to use

1. disconnect network first
2. unclick hide empty drives in explorer folder options to show hidden drives see if it causes the problem.

Tried this; same problem, unfortauntely.

joe360

Oct 3, 2004
This is happening since the last windows update to me also.
What I found out now:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\z (driveletter)
In the registry the newest windows adds some info called UseOptions
This was not there before.

If you delete the UseOptions then the next time I can login again.

My other workaround is to save credentials. I don't like this, but if I save the credentials and not have to put them in after a reboot then there is also not a problem.

But both are workarounds that do the trick for me. I am also really interested in a good solution.

I wonder if this solves your problems.....

Deleted the above-mentioned reg key, but didn't solve it for me

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I am not familiar with Synology, but on my Network Server drives are assigned to fixed letter (up in the Alphabet like /r /s /t), this way the changing of Gizmos letters that while plugging and unplugging them might confabulate the system do not affect servers storage.

:cool: