issues connecting to internet via ethernet

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
I'm having a similar issue to this post - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2371697

I have Time Warner cable to a modem to a router. Router has 2 hardwired connections (main PC, HTPC) and multiple wireless connections.

I can access the internet from any device wirelessly.

However, I cannot access the internet from my main PC - although, I can access the local network from my main PC. I just remoted in to my HTPC and can access the internet, too.

The catch is, I can fire up my VPN and access the internet (from the Netherlands) without a problem (that's how I'm posting this message).

What in the world is going on?

EDIT: I just switched ethernet cables and the same thing happens. I cannot access the internet unless I'm connected using a VPN..

I've rebooted the modem/router/pc as well.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
scan for malware, you may have a proxy installed.

Reset your Winsock and TCP/IP stack too.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
scan for malware, you may have a proxy installed.

Reset your Winsock and TCP/IP stack too.

I checked my proxy settings and there is nothing set. could it be set surreptitiously?

I recently upgraded my internet speed from 15 Mbps to 20. Could something on their side have caused this?

I have to run out the door this morning... i won't be able to work on it until afterwork tonight..

thanks for the tips and I'll get back to you,.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What are the modem and router models?

A speed upgrade should not cause the issue you're having, you can try hooking hte desktop directly to the modem to see if it works ok.