Issue with pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in Windows 10 (Solved)

pjmssn

Aug 17, 2017
I have several work stations, all have 64GB of RAM and I assume should have very similar file size for pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys.
However, on my HP Z420, the pagefile.sys is using 64GB and the hiberfil.sys 48GB, my c drive is a 256GB SSD and these 2 files are using a big chunk of it.
I tried to move the location of the pagefile.sys to my 3TB hard drive in system settings, but the pagefile.sys is still on the C drive and cannot be erased. I have re-applied the settings and rebooted the computer but nothing changed. In the settings, the pagefile is now set to be on the E drive, but the file is still on C!

On my other systems, the pagefile.sys is much smaller (9GB) and the hiberfil.sys ~ 25GB, which is fine.
What made the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys become that large and how do I reduce its size/move it.
I do not know what to do, changing the settings does not change anything and I need to recover the wasted space on my drive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Turn hibernation off.
As for the pagefile, just turn if off, then reboot, delete the page & hibernation files, then go into the settings again, and pick a location & custom size (1GB is plenty for your 64GB system), set it, then reboot.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
At administrator priviledged command prompt - 'pwercfg -h off'

Yeah, the pagefile is probably useless with that much RAM. Just turn it off or make it small

Kind of related question: for some reason I have a 'swapfile.sys' on my Win10 lappy.......what's up with that?

pjmssn

Aug 17, 2017
Thank you so much for all the help. Following your proposed solutions, I was able to fix the issue. I am happy it was a quick fix.