Question Issue with Bluetooth keyboard

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Windows 10, TPLink ub400 BT adapter. My Microsoft BT mouse connects and works every time. My Logitech K380 keyboard though I have to remove and re-add every time I use it. I went into device manager and under BT looked for anything that's related to BT going into sleep mode and disabled it. I also Googled this adapter and the keyboard to see if there's some sort of compatibility problems, but couldn't find anything. My mouse is flawless, so I know the adapter does work how it's supposed to. But if I pair the keyboard and go away for an hour when I return I have to remove it and re-add it. When it doesn't work, it still says paired in the list of BT devices, but it won't respond if I try to use it.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Are there any warnings or errors in the Windows system logs related to Bluetooth devices (for instance, about Bluetooth devices going out of range, etc)?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Are there any warnings or errors in the Windows system logs related to Bluetooth devices (for instance, about Bluetooth devices going out of range, etc)?

I checked the logs and see 2 different things that could be tied to this.

this comes up as warning
Source: BTHUSB:
The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x2491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

this comes up as an error
Source: BTHUSB
The mutual authentication between the local Bluetooth adapter and a device with Bluetooth adapter address (f4:73:35:13:55:b8) failed.

I don't even know if either of these are the keyboard, but they're BT also I'm guessing they should be part of the problem at least.

I did some googling but I'm not finding anything that helps me as the stuff I read is pertaining to Lenovo adapters with drivers or some other brand. This is one has no drivers it was PNP for Windows 10.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The energy controller state warning is something you tend to see a lot with bluetooth adapters and can probably be ignored in this instance. I suspect that the authentication error in the log represents your real problem to resolve.

First, batteries. How long has it been since you've changed the batteries in your K380? If the keyboard isn't going to low power mode (related to the power controller warning), it is going to go through batteries much faster and they aren't going to last for 24 months like Logitech claims. If you haven't recently, try swapping them out for some fresh ones. At the time you do it, make sure to look over the battery compartment for any signs of corrosion (the K-series keyboard I previously had eventually died of this. I also remember that it was also finicky about bluetooth adapters it would work with as well).

If replacing batteries doesn't work, have you tried to remove the bluetooth software (including the drivers) and reinstall? If not, uninstall the bluetooth adapter software, reboot the system, then reinstall. To totally remove the actual bluetooth drivers (which often times are downloaded by Windows in the background when you plug in the BT adapter and remain installed after you unplug the adapter), you may have to go into Control Panel, hit the View menu, select the "show hidden devices" option, then manually right-click on each BT driver instance and remove it.

If neither of these works to improve the situation, you may want to pick up a higher quality bluetooth adapter of a different brand to try.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply, I'll try totally removing the devices, there's no software installed, the only software TPLink offers is for Windows 7/8. But they claim it works out the box with Win 10. I did install the software just to try it out (after I noticed the issue) and it doesn't detect the dongle or do anything so I removed it. The batteries are good, I had this problem the 1st time I tried to use it. Well, with Windows, I maybe should have mentioned on my Hackintosh (same system) it doesn't do this, so it's definitely an issue somewhere within Windows